Gibson Brands Forums

What's your cheapest playable guitar??

maniak

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're handy with tools, it's not all that hard to do. A hole saw, a router (it could be done without one, but it's easier with one) and some sandpaper. Of course, you'll have to refinish, but in my case, the plaid was going anyway.

I've had lots of cheap ones. Currently my cheap, but very playable keeper is my Axl Badwater 1216...

(PHOTO SNIPPED)

Nice. I've been considering one of the Axl Badwater Junior copies, but I don't really need another guitar right now, so it'll have to wait.

As for cheap playable guitars... I love cheap guitars, especially these days, as they're built a lot better than the cheapos we had to choose from in the 80s and part of the 90s.

That said, ALL of my guitars are cheap Epiphones with bolt-on necks, all of them are customized to my liking, and all of them are very playable!

My Juniors, 2010 Vintage Sunburst and 2002 Ebony, both with GFS P-90s (Ebony has a Dream 90, VS has a Mean-90) and other upgrades:

juniors.jpg

1994 MiK Les Paul 100, extensively rebuilt from unplayable condition, Seymour Duncan SH-4 and GFS Mean-90 pickups, complete rewire, all new electronics, locking tuners, and other upgrades:

lp100upgrade1.jpg

If you're handy with tools, it's not all that hard to do. A hole saw, a router (it could be done without one, but it's easier with one) and some sandpaper. Of course, you'll have to refinish, but in my case, the plaid was going anyway.

Nice work. It looks amazing.

I'm not a very skilled carpenter sadly, so I don't think I'd attempt this on my own haha.

I have 6 guitars that were purchased for less than $100 each. Four were under $50. 3 Epi's and 3 Squiers. All play ok - good. The cheapest is an EB-0 (bass)that cost me $35 because someone had spray painted it with some lame design. I haven't done anything to it except wipe off the grime and install new strings. I needed it for an occasion where it was likely to be abused and it played great. Never went out of tune and the cruddy sounding pickup was just what we wanted.

5 of the 6 are in the que for modification / upgrades, so I get to have fun even when not playing.

ps I actually own a couple of nicer guitars but the most I've ever paid was $400 for a Gretsch Roc Jet.

I have 6 guitars that were purchased for less than $100 each. Four were under $50. 3 Epi's and 3 Squiers. All play ok - good. The cheapest is an EB-0 (bass)that cost me $35 because someone had spray painted it with some lame design. I haven't done anything to it except wipe off the grime and install new strings. I needed it for an occasion where it was likely to be abused and it played great. Never went out of tune and the cruddy sounding pickup was just what we wanted.

5 of the 6 are in the que for modification / upgrades, so I get to have fun even when not playing.

ps I actually own a couple of nicer guitars but the most I've ever paid was $400 for a Gretsch Roc Jet.

Personally, I believe the cost of the guitar or the name brand doesn't make a difference.

I own 2 Gibsons, 1 Fender, 3 Epiphones, and 2 Squiers (well 3 Squiers technically, but I don't play my first guitar at all anymore. It's on showcase in my bedroom)...and out of experience I love all my guitars equally. The same goes for my bass guitars. I own 1 Fender and 2 Squiers.

It's not the guitar that makes the player, it's the player that makes the guitar. While it's nice to have a $2,000 Gibson, you can make any Epiphone sound just as good.

So kudos to you for playing cheap guitars and helping prove the point!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived