Gibson Brands Forums

HNAD

Okay, its' not a new amp, but it is new to me!

It's the first and only thing I've ever bought off of Ebay. Got it for $300.00

champ12.jpg

champ1.jpg

It's a 1971 (according to the code on the power transformer), still has the original tubes, and sounds like a little slice of Heaven. (The 2 prong cord cord is gonna get replaced real soon though).

She's purdy! My guess would be later than '71, though the only way to really know is to check pot and transformer codes. I believe it wasn't until a bit later when Fender dropped the "Amp" from their amp nameplates. Up until then, they were labeled "Champ amp."

Three prong cord, filter cap can, the other electrolytics, increase the cathode bypass resistor to 1k, and swap out anything else that's drifted out of tolerance. Speaker upgrade also strongly recommended. Weber alnico is probably about as good as you could possibly get for this amp.

They're great amps, and everybody should have at least one, especially since they're cheap enough to be well within reach.

Thanks!

I haven't pulled the chassis out yet but the transformer code reads EIA 606-1-20, so at least the transformer was made the 20th week of '71.

It doesn't hiss or hum, those old tubes aren't microphonic (I'm gonna replace those and set them aside), I plan on going through it and replace the filter cap and any other out of tolerance components. The speaker is not bad at all, but the Weber might open it up more. It sounds like its' big brothers, just not nearly as loud.

I agree, everyone ought to have a Champ. Its' about the last vintage Fender amp most folks can buy at a reasonable price that still sounds like a real Fender amp should (and it won't annoy your neighbors).

Nice score indeed..like them little suckers.

I'm thinking it is a '71 also by the info you've posted....btw and fwiw IIRC, and just from reading, that the 606 is the manufacture code for Schumacher.

Like M says the older ones had the "amp" as part of the name...the tailess "r" was also I belive on the older models(?)

The number on the back of the chasis seems to coincide with a list of Champ SS by year that I have...LOL, can't remember why or how I ended up with it, don't have a Champ. Anyhow according to what I have A30500 to A32000 is from '71.

Either way real cool amp. Congrats!...on both, the amp and first e-bay score. Very good job.

Reminds me of a few (read 20) years back. Friend of mine had his Champ modded. 10 inch speaker and whatever mods. Put it up against a black face fender Princeton (non reverb?). Man that Champ lived up to it's name. My buddy with the Princeton said, "Um, do you think your tech could mod mine? It blew away the Princeton in spades. That's when I gained respect for the little Champ.

If it's truly a '71, you may not need to increase that resistor value. Plate voltage will tell. If it's markedly higher than what's published in the schematic (I believe the "official" number is 360v), increase the resistor to 1k. If the voltage is in line with published specs, just replace the resistor with stock value.

From what I've read about these, even though the schematic remained unchanged throughout the Champs lineage, Fender changed the primary transformer sometime in the SF era, and the change dramatically increased voltage along the rail. They SHOULD have recognized that and made appropriate schematic changes, but they didn't, for whatever reason. Because of this, it's not at all uncommon for SF Champs to have well over 400v on the plate (mine was 413v, as I recall), which is just too much, and will cause the amp to sound "farty and loose" (even beyond what that anemic Oxford speaker does), and will also eat 6v6s at breakneck pace.

Archived