Gibson Brands Forums

Gotta see this...!!

Dave

Just heard this guy playing an original 59 Les Paul through a Trainwreck tube amp.

He's a super nice guy, and has a CD off those amazing tones. Quite a magical combination. He also has an old strat that he plays on the CD as well.

Ken Fischer was a pretty interesting fellow too, btw. I'd probably call him a genius, with regard to guitar amps. He certainly seemed to have a natural gift with them that few seem to have, and his relevant life history speaks to that. He did some rather remarkable things, even before he was begrudgingly talked into building his own amps.

I'm not usually overly impressed with youtube guitar players, but that guy just mesmerized me with his technique and tone. I sat there and stared through the whole thing and when he was through, I realized that the cigarette that I laid in the ashtray had burned down to the filter! I especially liked the control he had over the guitar volume to increase sustain. He would move from clean to dirty and back again using the controls and never miss a lick or a nuance of his playing. And, his tone could be sold in a bottle to the masses if it were possible.

Headphones are needed to fully appreciate his tone...

Trainwrecks are amazing amps if you get a real one not a clone.

Actually, the clones can be pretty amazing too, if they're built carefully and with decent components. Glen has clones that he's built that he speaks very highly of.

The fact is, any amp can be either amazing or not, depending on how it's designed and built, and the components used in the process. Our beloved Vjr is a great example. In stock form, it's pretty unimpressive. Change a few components here and there, upgrade the tubes, and you've got a monumentally better sounding amp.

Archived