Gibson Brands Forums

Who Is This Guy?? He's very, very good

Gordy01

The issue is not how "great" the lead is, i.e. how many notes you can squeeze into one measure, but how melodic the lead is. Think Clapton and Santana. While they can each play fast licks and leads, it's how when they keep it smooth and mellow that the classic leads come.

He has an amount of technical ability which I've seen exceeded by many other amateur players. His problem is that there is no 'feel' in his playing.

For an unknown on youtube this guy impresses me:

He's got superb rhythm technique, speed, loads of tricks and a reasonable amount of 'feel' for such a technician.

Keith Richards can play 5 notes and they'll sound better than those idiots jerking off on the guitar neck! Sorry to say but it's about melody and harmony. Let the old 'fastest gun in town' cliché go please. It's so out-dated!

Harmony and melody are a 'given' for me if the tune is good. As far as a soloing and rhythm play goes, I'm impressed by players who can convey feel or emotion as I am by those who have jaw dropping technique and speed. I like guitarists anywhere from Skip James, to BB King, to Brian Setzer to Billy Gibbsons, to EVH to Yngwie Malmsteen and I aspire to be them all.......If only!

Alan

I think what it all boils down to is, that just like speech, everyone's vocabulary is different. It all depends on your exposure and experience. The bottom line is not how much or how little is said, but can the person listening understand it. The enjoyment of whatever it is becomes a matter

of personal taste and we all know how relative that can be.

The guy's technical ability is very good. I know his style is not for everybody,

but you've got to respect the time it takes to get to where he is.

Yeah, he's showing off, and there coud be more melody, but I think he's probably capable of that too.

The guy's technical ability is very good. I know his style is not for everybody' date='

but you've got to respect the time it takes to get to where he is.

Yeah, he's showing off, and there coud be more melody, but I think he's probably capable of that too.[/quote']

I was a little harsh Gord. He is a good guitarist and the point you make about practice is spot on. Many people who slate technical guitarists are probably just a little bit envious that they can't do it themselves.

Here's a little technical display of both rhythm and solo work with a bit of dueling for your enjoyment (maybe). Plenty of harmony and melody too. I'm really in to these guys at the moment, rekindling my teenage memories. I know it's probably far from the musical tastes of many Epi owners but I couldn't resist. Sorry!

Don't click

if you have a heart condition.

I was a little harsh Gord. He is a good guitarist and the point you make about practice is spot on. Many people who slate technical guitarists are probably just a little bit envious that they can't do it themselves.

Here's a little technical display of both rhythm and solo work with a bit of dueling for your enjoyment (maybe). Plenty of harmony and melody too. I'm really in to these guys at the moment, rekindling my teenage memories. I know it's probably far from the musical tastes of many Epi owners but I couldn't resist. Sorry!

I can get into almost any kind of music as long as it's played on real instruments.

I can also respect talent no matter what style they play.

It's the "Grunge" or whatever they call it that has no appeal for me. Just a lot of noise.

And, (I know I'm gettin' in trouble now) "Rap Music" is for people who can't play or sing. :D

I can get into almost any kind of music as long as it's played on real instruments.

I can also respect talent no matter what style they play.

It's the "Grunge" or whatever they call it that has no appeal for me. Just a lot of noise.

And' date=' (I know I'm gettin' in trouble now) "Rap Music" is for people who can't play or sing. =D>

[/quote']

I'm mostly a blues, rock and metal fan but I actually quite like grunge too Gord. I have albums by Nirvana and Soundgarden. Have you heard Bleach, Nevermind or Badmotorfinger? They're all pretty good records.

I think a lot of grunge stuff is pretty easy to play though - mostly just power chords and there are no solos to contend with. Not much in the way of feel either as the tone comes from the amp and effects. Maybe that's why many Grunge songs are quite catchy - the artists focus on writing a notable tune rather than on fancy fretwork. Grunge was supposedly the breath of fresh air that was waiting to happen, since the equally easy to play punk hit the scene in about 1977. Isn't it funny that the periodic musical rebellion seems to involve easy to play, heavy guitar-based music.

Me, I generally will listen to most music but it usually has to have guitars to keep me interested.

MaxHart,

I liked your Jerry Reed clip the best. Some serious reaches on those chords.

Alan

Hello,

I actually live in that city, and I can tell you the people who work at that guitar center are complete idiots. They lack the basic knowledge of guitars in general and have the worst customer support. Last year I had bought a guitar and didn't realize the neck was slightly warped (my fault) and when i took it to get fixed/returned the manager tried to explain to me how guitar necks are supposed to have a slight twist in them.

... i don't know how that won a BLUES solo competition...

oh yeah' date=' i forgot, it's [i']guitar center[/i]

Let's be fair here, Lupus ... he won in HIS local store. You'd have to hear his competition to know if he was the right choice or not. From there he went on to regional and (if he made it) national competitions. Since he didn't mention anything about how he did on those levels, it's a pretty safe bet he didn't advance.

Bottom line is ... there's a lot of "behind the keyboard" critiquing going on in this thread. King of the Blues is open to one and all ... next year, SIGN UP and let's hear your stuff!

Jim

I'm not really feelin' this guy either. Yes, he's technically good, but that only goes so far, IMHO. When you put a video up that has the title "World's Greatest Guitar Player"....you better bring it.

Also, trying to pass that performance off as a "Texas Blues" style solo wasn't the best idea.

Archived