Gibson Brands Forums

maestro vs. bigsby

jerome_travis

I personally think the bigsby is a chunkier, more badass look, while the vibrola is a more vintagey classic-y look. That said, I think Bigsbys look a bit out of place on an SG, however only go for the maestro if you plan to get the full-length one:

Good:

SG_LPbody3.jpg

Bad:

fieger-01.jpg

End of topic. :P

From memory alone, I believe the long and short versions are the same but one has a cover plate. In which case you should only need to stick in those three screws, never owned a geet with a vibrola though so I can't verify that.

I'd think I would go with the Maestro. It boosts the bad *** factor way up.

Amen! The Maestro is one of the coolest "looks" on a guitar ever' date=' in my opinion!

Here's one that I currently own ...

[img']http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/midiman56/SANY0040.jpg[/img]

... and here's the one that I hope to have in my hot little hands by the end of the month (my b-day's on the 24th!)

epiphoneG400Deluxe.jpg

Jim

MIDI-

Wow' date=' That black 'n gold looks sharp!!

- 20% nowadays or are we talkin' major cussin' from us in the gallery...

[/quote']

Are you talking about my employee discount from GC. tg? It depends on the cost of the guitar ...

In this case it's pretty damn good!

Jim

Maestro every time. Restringing is much easier, the action is much more direct/sensitive - you have to move a Bigsby much further to get the same movement in pitch. You shouldn't get tuning issues with either of them if they're properly fitted. If your guitar has a tune-o-matic you need to switch to one with rolling saddles.

I think Bigsbys look great but I'll never fit another one and regret the one I put on my Tele.

I have guitars with both and I like the feel of the Maestro over the Bigsby, hands down. It has a much more immediate effect whereas I have to move the handle further on the Bigbsy to ge tthe same effect. A Maestro definitely looks better on an SG/G-400 in my opinion. After restinging my Bigsbys several times, they really aren't that hard. There are a few tricks that make it pretty easy.

G-400net3.jpg

... and here's the one that I hope to have in my hot little hands by the end of the month (my b-day's on the 24th!)

epiphoneG400Deluxe.jpg

Jim

Oh man, I want one of those. Very, very badly.

But I'm still "in debt" to my old lady for allowing me to buy my Telecaster. Besides, 5 electric guitars in the house and she's going to have something to say, I know...

I think an SG with a Maestro is going to be a source of eternal gas for me...

Archived