Gibson Brands Forums

Is it BAD to catch a BUZZ ?

wedgeSG

My son always has his bandmates here to practice... as such, my Marshall AVT half-stack is seemingly always in use as a "house amp". The thing is nearly new and I rarely get the opportuinty to use it myself; but I set forth a few ground rules and allow 'em to use it. One youngster has a bit of a "challenged" guitar and always seems to be the one plugged into the AVT. By the kid's own admission it needs some work done to the jack, (and a list of other things I might add), but he just can't seems to keep a cable seated in it. Soon, (VERY SOON), I'm gonna hand him a new Switchcraft or a roll of duct tape and tell him to fix it or bring his own gear. I don't want to be an *** since the kid might not have any extra funds, (from the condition of his guitar I feel this is the case). He tries hard, shows talent, gets along well with others, and I don't want to bust the karma developing by being a heavy. I just really hate that goddawfull noise when the cable comes loose...worse than nails on a chalkboard; worse still, I know it's my Marshall. Question is this: other than being simply excruciating to endure; is it really causing any damage to the head or the cabinet until I can figure out a tactful way to vanquish the Slash antics from my home? P.S. If you've got any ideas on how to solve the problem described, those would be much welcomed as well. Main thing I gotta know is whether or not damage is occuring.....

Wedgie

Soon' date=' (VERY SOON), I'm gonna hand him a new Switchcraft or a roll of duct tape and tell him to fix it

Wedgie[/quote']

Why not do it for him? Offer to solder in a new output. It seems a minimal amount of effort for a lot of comfort of mind.

Why not do it for him? Offer to solder in a new output. It seems a minimal amount of effort for a lot of comfort of mind.

+1 on what Rich said.........you'd have peace of mind, and i'm sure the youngster would really appreciate it.........don't worry about tact, just tell him "hey man, if you wanna use my Marshall, lemme fix this for you."

....or try fixing the existing jack first. Sometimes the nut is loose which causes the jack to have some wiggle room and the solder becomes disconnected from the movement. Just re-solder the jack and tighten the nut to see . . .

I've had my share of loose output jack nuts and strap pins' date=' but the thing that made me say "Go to Radio Shack" was the part that said [i']"but he just can't seem to keep a cable seated in it"[/i].

Archived