Gibson Brands Forums

Advice for pickup change?

G'day gents!

I'm going to change out the stock PU's from my Sheraton II; clearly after playing them they are quite muddy and lack dynamics. My next quest is to figure out what pickups might be the best bet. I'm looking for some advice since I initially thought some 57's with a 57+ in the neck might be the go ... but I'm not too sure after a little more research.

What sound am I going for?

# - For the bridge I want something hot with a tight bottom end and relative clarity for chord work with dirt.

# - Something that also cleans up nicely in the bridge.

# - For the neck something warm and jazzy is just fine.

What PU's would work in your opinion given those criterion? I was initially thinking a hot P90 in the bridge might work for me in this guitar. I don't like woolly sounds at all even in the neck - the bluesy sound is fine but I like edge and a tight response rather than bass and wool ... perhaps a P90 in the neck also? This is a tough one. Are there any HH combo's that might fit the bill also?

Thanks, Tiki. :P

And while I'm talking to myself ... I just listened to two clips here ...

The first is a Duncan vintage 59

http://files.seymourduncan.com/audio/support/humbucker/Track16.mp3

The second is a Duncan P90

http://files.seymourduncan.com/audio/support/humbucker/Track78.mp3

In terms of tones and what I identify as my sound, right away I prefer the Duncan 59 ... what are the 57's like compared to the 59's then?

Tiki.

In terms of tones and what I identify as my sound' date=' right away I prefer the Duncan 59 ... what are the 57's like compared to the 59's then?

Tiki.

[/quote']

G'day yourself - After trying and failing to resist tempation I've just ordered a Sheraton II VS. Already have the Epi DOT with the Duncan 59's installed, but wanted to compare the Shearton as candidate for a more long-term 335 alternative. I've also upgraded an Epi 175 with the 57 and 57+. I like both pups and, in any case, play (try to play) fairly unadventurous fingerstyle jazz - so maybe you need better players than I am to help you out. The general view seems to be that the 57's give a better jazz tone (whatever that may be), but that the 59's are a good, and less expensive, alternative - but perhaps with a little more edge. The 57 set is what you're get on the original, and I bet not many people swap them for the Duncans. If I upgrade, I think I'll be trying the 57's. If I could lend you my ears mate I would, but they're a bit old and not very reliable.

Old Bob

Bob,

Thanks for chiming in mate ... I'm a huge fan of Wes Mongomery, Charlie Christian, Tal Farlow and Django ofcourse - I play quite a bit of Brian Setzer styled guitar so you have my respect and sympathy with playing finger jazz!

I've just been browsing the clips at the Duncan website which are VERY helpful and in the on going search narrowed things down to the Seth Lover 55's and the 59's for bridge PU's. Usually my ears and my natural guitar tone leans to the 59's which a little bit dark ... but I love the sparkle, punch and clarity of the SL-55's and am leaning that way since I don't have anything that in any of my other guitars. I'm still a little unsure because I'm not sure how bright these might turn out sounding in the Sherry ...

Seth Lover 55's

http://files.seymourduncan.com/audio/support/humbucker/Track04.mp3

59's

http://files.seymourduncan.com/audio/support/humbucker/Track16.mp3

Any comments about the Seth Lover 55's vs the 59's most welcome!

Tiki.

I relpied in your other post b-4 I saw this one........

give a serious listen to Gibsons 496R/500T set (clean & dirty)They're the stockers in the newer Flying V's.

They co$t a bit, but for pure articulation, they can't be beaten.

If I had the loose ca$h to do it, i'd replace every humbucker I own with them.

Hey Bender,

Thanks mate, I really apreciate your input here ... PU's can be a very tricky matter because in different guitars they can sound quite different. Am I right to assume I can hear clips of the Gibson PU's you mentioned somewhere online? I'll go to the Gibby website and see if they have anything like the SD site.

Best, Tiki.

Guest icantbuyafender
I relpied in your other post b-4 I saw this one........

give a serious listen to Gibsons 496R/500T set (clean & dirty)They're the stockers in the newer Flying V's.

They co$t a bit' date=' but for pure articulation, they can't be beaten.

If I had the loose ca$h to do it, i'd replace every humbucker I own with them.[/quote']

YUCK!!! those cermaic pups are way tooooo modern and harsh for a semi-hollow. you'd like an alnico II set. gibson's 490R/490T are alnico II and they've got a clear articulate sound with enough warmth to go around. the bridge isn't harsh, its just enough hotter to take overdrive well and still retain clarity. the burstbucker 2 and 3 are also good. the frugal and smart choice would be the GFS mean90. humbucker sized p90's. several people on this forum have them and not one person regrets them. extremely affordable too!

I put Seymour Allnico pro IIs on my SheratonII and couldn't be happier. Great articulation and overtones. The neck is fat but with extended highs / bridge is chimey / middle position sound not quite so fat and not quite so chimey great for jazz solos.

I've actually decided to go local with some hand wound PU's by Mick Brierly here in Australia ... the bridge is going to be an over wound 57 with Alnico V and the neck will have an Alnico III. Will let you know my results.

Best, Tiki.

I've actually decided to go local with some hand wound PU's by Mick Brierly here in Australia ... the bridge is going to be an over wound 57 with Alnico V and the neck will have an Alnico III. Will let you know my results.

Best' date=' Tiki.[/quote']

If you haven't already bought those, you might want to check out Gibson P-94s. These are outstanding single-coil pickups that work very well in semi-hollows.

Here they are in my Valensi Riviera...

2607562040046640115S600x600Q85.jpg

Cheers

I'd go with either the 490 (R & T) combo (I have those' date=' stock, in my Gibson "Lucille," and they're wonderful), OR...the '57 & 57+ combo.

Pretty hard, to beat, in either case...IMHO.

CB[/quote']

+1

I have the 57/57+ combo in a Gibson LP Classic and it sounds great. The 57+ is hotter but still able to do clean well. My Epiphone LP has a 490R/490T combo and it sounds glorious.

Don't believe I saw the question posted yet, and apologize in advance if so, but ...... what amp are you playing through ???? I'm of the firm mind that you need a good to great amp BEFORE you need good to great pups....... stock Epi himbuckers sound very VERY good through a good amp (tube, epsecially ) .... if you're playing through a crappy 15w ss amp, save yer money up for a good amp first....trust me !!

Don't believe I saw the question posted yet' date=' and apologize in advance if so, but ...... what amp are you playing through ???? I'm of the firm mind that you need a good to great amp BEFORE you need good to great pups....... stock Epi himbuckers sound very VERY good through a good amp (tube, epsecially ) .... if you're playing through a crappy 15w ss amp, save yer money up for a good amp first....trust me !![/quote']

Yup, this is very true... I'm still using the stock epiphone alcino II w/ Ibanez TBX 150R and Digitech RP500 [using the JCM900 amp simulator] and really enjoying playing Slash solos... very happy with the tone n' sound...

Archived