Gibson Brands Forums

A string buzz

timandbob

So, I changed my strings earlier this week and all of a sudden, my A string (open and through the first 5 frets) has a buzz. No other string is buzzing, and with the previous strings on there (same brand, same diameter strings) there was no buzz on any string.

My action is pretty low, but I can't understand why there is now a buzz.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Manufacturing tolerances' date=' simply a bad string, erm.. "nutwear"(press the 3rd fret, the string should be clear from the 1st fret), could be as simple as winding the string not far enough down the (tuner-)post as the previous A-string.[/quote']Thanks. I thought about the tuner issue, and I reseated the string a bit higher on the tuner peg. Still the same. I'll test the nutwear, but it is a new nut that I put in about 6 months ago.

Guest icantbuyafender
Thanks. I thought about the tuner issue' date=' and I reseated the string a bit higher on the tuner peg. Still the same. I'll test the nutwear, but it is a new nut that I put in about 6 months ago.

[/quote']

Im having the same damn problem on my goldtop.

My A and D are buzzy at around the twelvth fret.

Its driving me up the wall

I had 10's and now i put a heavier guage. If anything i thought thered be less buzz.

im nearly insane from it.

It may need to have a bridge setup. You might have to file the saddles on the other strings,

and raise the bridge slightly, so they all don't buzz. If your bass E string action is good, and the treble E string is good,

you need to raise the bridge to get the A & D strings to clear the frets. Then you will have to file

the other saddles down to a proper height, and neck radius.

Or, it could be a relief adjustment. If your neck has too much relief and the bridge is too low you can get upper

fret buzz.

As to the number of winds on the tuner, you may have to wind it down on the peg.

This will increase the "Break Angle" and slightly change the string tension. ( I know, I know, we had this discussion in another thread)

It's much the same as lowering or raising the tail piece, on a stop tail piece guitar.

There's so many things it could be, it's difficult to say without looking at it.

It may need to have a bridge setup. You might have to file the saddles on the other strings' date='

and raise the bridge slightly, so they all don't buzz. If your bass E string action is good, and the treble E string is good,

you need to raise the bridge to get the A & D strings to clear the frets. Then you will have to file

the other saddles down to a proper height, and neck radius.

Or, it could be a relief adjustment. If your neck has too much relief and the bridge is too low you can get upper

fret buzz.

As to the number of winds on the tuner, you may have to wind it down on the peg.

This will increase the "Break Angle" and slightly change the string tension. ( I know, I know, we had this discussion in another thread)

It's much the same as lowering or raising the tail piece, on a stop tail piece guitar.

There's so many things it could be, it's difficult to say without looking at it.[/quote']Thanks Gord, this is a great post. I will have time this weekend to take a look at it.

Same way I always do it -- i take off all the strings and wipe down the fretboard a bit.

Then there is probably a good chance that the bridge might have gotten knocked out of position, because even if the thumb wheels move a fraction of a millimeter, it can have a profound effect on the overall action.

Then there is probably a good chance that the bridge might have gotten knocked out of position' date=' because even if the thumb wheels move a fraction of a millimeter, it can have a profound effect on the overall action.

[/quote']So, are you recommending that I raise the bridge?

So' date=' are you recommending that I raise the bridge?

[/quote']

Yes, those posts can turn very easily and you wont even know it. Just a slight bump or jarring of the giutar can turn them. Just give it a quarter turn and see how it sounds.

Also, I was under the impression that a string buzz on an unfretted string was the result of the nut being too low, or a worn slot.

Also' date=' I was under the impression that a string buzz on an unfretted string was the result of the nut being too low, or a worn slot.[/quote'] Thanks, I agree. Its just that it wasn't buzzing with the same strings before. So, if its a low nut, I surmise that the A-string would have buzzed previously. I will give it a whirl to raise the bridge a bit. Thanks.

Archived