Gibson Brands Forums

hn crack gd!!!!

wardog

i scored this epi standard with a plus top of ebay friday and she got here today. very good transaction. Here is where i need everyone's advice. The crack is at the heel of the neck and goes to the body on both sides. I took of strings and applied gentle pressure to see if it was a finish crack or wood. It did not move. I did not want to add more tention and felt i should see what you guys think. I am also looking for advice on how to repair wether it be a finish crack or wood.

AND, BY ALL MEANS IF YOU THINK I SHOULD SEE A PROFESSION AND NOT TRY THIS REPAIR LET ME KNOW!!!!! other than the crack, the guitar is flawless. for 150.00 i think i did good. but we will see:-k

CIMG0232.jpg

CIMG0235.jpg

CIMG0239.jpg

CIMG0244.jpg

Yep, same guitar! can you get better closeups of the heel? Heck,

even borrow the ones from the ebay listing. This is going to be an

interesting one. And for $150.00 you did GREAT! =D> =D> =D>

Please explain the process you used to check the "fracture"....

I had a crack that looked just like that on the opposite end of the neck of my acoustic (mahogany neck also). I know the headstock end will be more susceptible to cracks, but it looked exactly the same. Couldnt tell if it was the finish or the wood. Turns out it was a crack in the wood.

Just to err on the side of caution, I'd have it looked at by a pro.

The thing that makes me suspicious is that the crack runs with the grain.

I believe that the wood is cracked. I've seen this a couple of times.

There is no reason for the finish to crack in that pattern by itself.

You might want to have it checked out by a pro.

I don't mean to be a killjoy, but you do want to have a guitar that will stay set up.

If the neck flexes even a little at the crack, you will not be able to get the proper amount of relief.

Archived