Gibson Brands Forums

Manufacture Date?

msquared.81

I'm trying to figure out how old my guitar is. It was a gift to me from my grandparents. They picked it up for me at a pawn shop so I don't have a whole lot of history on it. In trying to research I found all kinds of conflicting information about blue labels and serial numbers and lack thereof. I've attached a few pictures. If anyone can give me some info regarding this I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Matt

100_2920.jpg

100_2921.jpg

100_2925.jpg

I'm trying to figure out how old my guitar is. It was a gift to me from my grandparents. They picked it up for me at a pawn shop so I don't have a whole lot of history on it. In trying to research I found all kinds of conflicting information about blue labels and serial numbers and lack thereof. I've attached a few pictures. If anyone can give me some info regarding this I'd appreciate it. ...

Early to mid '70s

Welcome to the camp

Hey man...thanks a lot. What is it that puts it in that range? Is it the serial number or the color of the label? Also' date=' do you think the label is misprinted? It seems that the "FT-160" should be on the style line and the "Texan - 12" should be on the Epiphone line? [/quote']

The bolt on neck acoustics were made by Matsumoku starting around 1970 when they stopped making Epis in the USA. Serial #s are of no help on these Japanese models, the labels can help a little (but not very much). I believe the blue labels were leftovers from Kalamazoo, and they were replaced sometime around the mid 70s. It is what it is, a 1970s Epiphone acoustic made in Japan by Matsumoku. Enjoy it.

FT-160's were made between 1972-1980 and Jerry is right to say that dating these Japanese models are very difficult because of the way they exported the labels also and no one thought to keep better records back then. If we stop and think about it the market thought was to make sure they bought a new guitar every 5 years or so, they didn't expect that folks would hold onto their guitars for so long back in the 60' and 70's. And in many ways they still think that way except that consumers now want to know more about what they are buying and they need more info as to woods and such.As near as I can guage its probably a 72, not worth a ton of money but looks to be in very nice shape and probably plays pretty good, so enjoy her and play the heck out of her and never lets your fingers rest.Ship............. love the sunburst finish

Right on....big thanks to Ship and Jerrymac. I for sure plan on keeping this until I can't play any more for sentimental reasons. It really does play beautifully. It's got some nicks and dings here and there (some bigger than others) but nothing that affects the sound. I was really just trying to figure out what I had my hands on. Again, thanks to all....

Matt

Norlin bought Gibson, Epiphone, and other instrument brands back in '69 or so.

In '71 Epiphone manufacture was moved to Japan.

Blue 'Kalamazoo' (not made in), Made In Japan Labels began sometime in '72. A close-up of the label would be helpful.

The way the model numbers and name were listed may have been inconsistent.

Later, not sure when, a larger, squarer tan label was used which included Epiphone's new corporate offices at Lincolnwood, IL. Since the Lincolnwood move happened in '75, We can deduce yours was made sometime between '72 and '75 by Matsumoku of Japan. That would make it a contemporary and cosmetic twin of my 6 string 'Texan', the FT145SB. FT145SBfullsize-1.jpg. Your model number should be suffixed "SB," Sun Burst, like mine. If not, it underscores the inconsistency of labeling in those years.

I also notice that your 'serial' number plate is different than mine. Before I lost mine, it was black like yours, but with a white patch painted on like the signature field on a credit card. Yours appers to be a paper label.

Also, your Episilon is a heavier font than mine. It is closer to newer versions of this pickguard epsilon, but I can't say for sure if yours is newer than mine.

How is the action? Is the neck block secure?

I see that it is strung up as a six string. This could be an indication that either the neck block needs attention or the bridge is lifting. Not a big thing.. unless you ignore it.

Archived