Gibson Brands Forums

Rondo Deals?

brianh

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Y'know, these Agile's are growing on me. The finishes sure look nice and they're a darn sight cheaper than an Epiphone. I just don't know about that headstock shape and cutaway. Those two things are really the deal breaker for me. The rest of it sounds fantastic. It just irks me when the shape is off like that. I'd probably own plenty of LP copies if the manufacturers could just get the shape bang on.

I might just have to get over it though because those burst finishes are calling me! And those little discrepancies certainly don't look too bad in the pics that were posted earlier in this thread. I'd probably go for this.

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1005.html

Though I do like this too and it is considerably cheaper.

http://www.rondomusic.com/al-20002ts.html

I also quite like this Douglas semi hollow. Some Mean90s in there would be great.

http://www.rondomusic.com/WNO630BR.html

We have SX in Oz but not Agile as the local company distributing them here seem to have only taken on the SX brand. Prices are about the same as if you imported one yourself but without the risk of shipping damage. (something that is in the forefront of my mind as I nervously wait for delivery of my Agile AL2900 chambered LP copy from Rondo.....it's in Oz according to the tracking info.)Dig

Rob, the SX line is distributed worldwide by a company in Spain, but I think the Agile name belongs exclusively to Rondo. Just a FYI.

http://www.sxguitarspain.com/sx_indice.htm

Y'know' date=' these Agile's are growing on me. The finishes sure look nice and they're a darn sight cheaper than an Epiphone. I just don't know about that headstock shape and cutaway. Those two things are really the deal breaker for me. The rest of it sounds fantastic. It just irks me when the shape is off like that. I'd probably own plenty of LP copies if the manufacturers could just get the shape bang on.

I might just have to get over it though because those burst finishes are calling me! And those little discrepancies certainly don't look too bad in the pics that were posted earlier in this thread. I'd probably go for this.

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1005.html

Though I do like this too and it is considerably cheaper.

http://www.rondomusic.com/al-20002ts.html

I also quite like this Douglas semi hollow. Some Mean90s in there would be great.

http://www.rondomusic.com/WNO630BR.html[/quote']

I had the same reservations. When I was looking at getting a goldtop, I looked at the Agiles, but I couldn't get past the round horn. They didn't have a 2000s on their site, only the 3100 and that just didn't look right to me. A GT with triple binding, no way. The headstock didn't bother me so much, but then I'm not crazy about the Epi headstock. I ended up getting the '56 GT. It took me over a year to warm up to the AL series, but after playing them my reservations are gone. They are quality instruments at a fraction of the price of Epis. Are there B-stock that get thru? Sure there are, but there are Epis that are B stocks too. Kurt is great about returns. I have returned two guitars and their replacements were stelar. Bottom line, Agiles give you a lot more guitar for your money than Epiphone. If Epi hadn't had the price hike of $150 a guitar, talking Les Pauls, I probably wouldn't have considered Agiles. I won't be selling my Epis, I just won't buy any more.

Rob' date=' the SX line is distributed worldwide by a company in Spain, but I think the Agile name belongs exclusively to Rondo. Just a FYI.

http://www.sxguitarspain.com/sx_indice.htm[/quote']

Thanks Ron,

I didn't know it was a Spanish company supplying SX and I agree that Agile is exclusively Rondo Music.

My guitar is in the country and has cleared customs, projected delivery is this Thursday Aussie time. The FedEx tracking is interesting to watch. Bloody guitar is better travelled than I am! New Hampshire to Memphis to Hawaii to Sydney.......lol

Dig

Might have been better if I wasn't so familiar with the Rondo site (chuckle) as it can be a very dangerous place to visit...just ask my Visa card. LOL

Dig

I understand what you mean man. I went through a rash of "oh-its-such-a-great-value-for-the-money" pawn shop finds that left with too many guitars and too little money. I can REALLY see myself going too crazy getting those guitars. They look great and now people are saying they sound great. I'm in the middle of rounding out my home studio and will be recording a lot. I just need to stop looking at that Rondo site.

Are there B-stock that get thru? Sure there are' date=' but there are Epis that are B stocks too. Kurt is great about returns. I have returned two guitars and their replacements were stelar. Bottom line, Agiles give you a lot more guitar for your money than Epiphone. If Epi hadn't had the price hike of $150 a guitar, talking Les Pauls, I probably wouldn't have considered Agiles. I won't be sell my Epis, I just won't buy any more.[/quote']

That's another thing, if I get a crap one, I can't really return it without it costing an arm and a leg.

I'm really missing playing an LP though. I could fix that by wiring my Epi Custom, but I'm a huge sunburst lover and would love an LP in that finish. Especially at the prices that you can get an Agile.

I just can't decide what to go for though! Sunburst Plain Top, or Cherry Burst flame top, or a Goldtop!

That's another thing' date=' if I get a crap one, I can't really return it without it costing an arm and a leg.

I'm really missing playing an LP though. I could fix that by wiring my Epi Custom, but I'm a huge sunburst lover and would love an LP in that finish. Especially at the prices that you can get an Agile.

[b']I just can't decide what to go for though! Sunburst Plain Top, or Cherry Burst flame top, or a Goldtop! [/b]

Listen Swoop me old Kiwi mate, just buy one of each...I mean it's only money right?

Dig

That's another thing' date=' if I get a crap one, I can't really return it without it costing an arm and a leg.

[/quote']

I don't like across the pond, so to speak, so shipping really isn't that much for me, about $22. I didn't really get a "crap" Agile that I returned, it was a very nice guitar. I got the 3000M plaintop, but the top didn't match up very good. Some of the guys on the Agile forum said they would have kept it, but I sent it back. I have seen Gibsons with worse matching tops that cost a lot more. My eplacement is amazing. I paid for the shipping upfront, but Kurt reimbursed my creditcard. I can't guartantee that you won't get a B-stock and I really don't know what I would do in your shoes since shipping to you is not gonna be cheap. That is a hard decision. All I know is that I see a few more Agiles on the horizon for me.

Yeah, that's what I meant by crap, a B stock, or if it arrives damaged or something as someone on here experienced recently. Like I said earlier, I guess I could sell it online and I wouldn't make too much of a loss. Lots of folks like to buy cheap guitars, even damaged ones and fix 'em up. Such is the nature of the people in this country I guess, good ol' Kiwi ingenuity! And I guess I could determine, even from a damaged or B stock model, whether these Agiles are any good, (though, of course, it seems fairly well established that they're GREAT) so it would be a good learning experience, and I could order another. Lightning tends not to strike twice so, I'd surely get a good one second time around!

Now that I have my Les Paul rewire almost done though, I think I'll pass on an Agile for now, plus I should really be a good little nerdy student and save for uni next year. And especially since the LP is up and running again, I'm pretty well covered tonally. A mate of mine really wants an LP at some stage though, so perhaps I'll tell him to save his pennies and order an Agile on his behalf at some stage. If not, I'll probably order one at some point once I have a bit more disposable income to throw around, and at that point I'll probably be able to order one of the higher spec models. I think the AL-2900 is the one for me, it has most of the good features of the higher spec models, but with mother of pearl inlays rather than abalone, which I'm not a huge fan of. Although I could save a few pennies and go for an AL-2000 or something, and put my newfound wiring skills to use and modify it. That might be a better option because, if I'm unfortunate enough to get a dud, I won't have invested so much money in purchasing the guitar.

I was wondering if any Agile owners had Kurt send them a photo of the guitar being shipped before it went out. Some of those spalted numbers look nice, but others just look like firewood. I'm thinking about this one, but I'm curious if the unit I'll get is the one in the photo, or if he has dozens of them and I'll just get the one on the top of the pile. I've never owned an LP (even a copy) and these look like a relatively low risk way to get a really nice one. If they're as good as everyone says, and Kurt really is easy on returns, I could see getting hooked on these gits big time.

I was wondering if any Agile owners had Kurt send them a photo of the guitar being shipped before it went out. Some of those spalted numbers look nice' date=' but others just look like firewood. I'm thinking about [b']this [/b]one, but I'm curious if the unit I'll get is the one in the photo, or if he has dozens of them and I'll just get the one on the top of the pile. I've never owned an LP (even a copy) and these look like a relatively low risk way to get a really nice one. If they're as good as everyone says, and Kurt really is easy on returns, I could see getting hooked on these gits big time.

The spalteds are a crap shoot. You might get a good one or not. Personally they aren't one of my favorite finishes, but lots of guys love 'em. He doesn't send you a pic of the actual guitar you are gonna get. It has been my experience that the guitars you get look much better than the pics on his site though. Below is a gallerie to look at some real pics of some of the guitars.

http://www.agileguitarforum.com/gallery/

The Agiles are made in Korea. I'm not sure if it is the same plant that the Epis used to be made, but I have heard that speculation. SXs are made somewhere in China, I have no clue where.

I tried a Douglas hofner style bass from Rondo. I thought it would probably have some serious problems.

Esp. for 150.00

I love it. Bought it for my son. Will buy another for me.

There's nothing seriously wrong with these.

the fit and finish are fine. the finish is not overly thick and plasticy at all. Looks really good.

the sunburst paint is excellent.

the neck is fast, the action is low, the intonation comes out just fine.

the neck pup is the better tone of the two but the bridge is ok.

Epiphone had better watch out. This company could be putting a dent in their sales pretty easily.

I simply have not run into anyone who complained about the company, service, or product.

And the prices .. sheesh.

stock bass with control opened..

BEATLED.jpg

and after I fancied it up a bit.

BEATLEFIN1.jpg

This little beauty came today, Agile AL2900 "chambered". The presentation is flawless and it is comfortably light. The ebony neck, frets and markers are a joy and I have a substantial amount of money in my pocket compared to if I had bought an LP Studio and case locally. I have a question mark about the PUPs but have read that they are hotter than other models so tomorrow I will do some work with amp settings. Digger

100_3772.jpg

I've been eyeballing the Agiles too. Seems like a good value. Does anyone know about the differences in pickups? i.e., the 2000's use ceramic vs. the 3000's that use alnico. Epi's use alnico, so it seems the 3000's are the ones to compare. They have a goldtop for $209. That's unbelievably low. You can get it shipped with a case for $300. The pickups are ceramic vs. their higher end model at $399 with alnico's. The higher end model with a case would equal what Epi is now charging for their GT with a free case.

I've been eyeballing the Agiles too. Seems like a good value. Does anyone know about the differences in pickups? i.e.' date=' the 2000's use ceramic vs. the 3000's that use alnico. Epi's use alnico, so it seems the 3000's are the ones to compare. They have a goldtop for $209. That's unbelievably low. You can get it shipped with a case for $300. The pickups are ceramic vs. their higher end model at $399 with alnico's. The higher end model with a case would equal what Epi is now charging for their GT with a free case.[/quote']

The Alnico V pickups in the 3x00s are much better sounding than the Epis pickups. I have several Epis and have swapped out the pickups in all of them, not in my 3x00s. The 3x00s are stick stock. Actually, the ceramic pickups in the 2000s have much better clarity than the pickups in the Epis, IMO. No doubt, Agiles are a very good bargain.

This little beauty came today' date=' Agile AL2900 "chambered". The presentation is flawless and it is comfortably light. The ebony neck, frets and markers are a joy and I have a substantial amount of money in my pocket compared to if I had bought an LP Studio and case locally. I have a question mark about the PUPs but have read that they are hotter than other models so tomorrow I will do some work with amp settings. Digger[/quote']

That's really a beaut Digger. Plus you can smuggle stuff in the chambers!

My $109 SX tele is due tomorrow...

That's really a beaut Digger. Plus you can smuggle stuff in the chambers!

My $109 SX tele is due tomorrow...

Brian,

Glad no-one thought of smuggling stuff in the chambers or it might have taken a lot longer to get to me as as the box was resealed with "opened by customs" tape!! Fortunately anything under $1000 AUD attracts no import duty and apart from being inspected, there is no paperwork needed or other complication involved in bringing one into this country. The shipping box was pierced by something during transit and it did put a small blemish on the case but better that than the guitar! All in all a surprisingly easy exercise.

Hope you enjoy your SX too mate.

Dig

Archived