Gibson Brands Forums

Why would someone do this?

dfarrell

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Firebird-Relic-w-Bigsby-Tremelo-One-Of-A-kind_W0QQitemZ130331811612QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item1e58619f1c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Can anyone tell me why someone would do this to a guitar? And then expect someone to buy it ?!?!?!?

Now, I like modding my epiphones as much or maybe even more than the next guy, but I think there is a lesson here for all of us!

This proves what many of us have long suspected: "Reliced" is a highfalutin' word for "beat to sh**!"
Actually? "Reliced" is a VERY subjective word. What is relic to one person, can be TOTALLY different to another. And there is a HUGE difference between Relic and Aged.

Relic = Played hard/Road worn/abused

Aged = Played in clubs/bedrooms/Well taken care of

Now, this thing...well that's a WHOLE different story! It actually made me throw up a little! Not just by how UGLY it is, but the fact that whoever did it, didn't know what they were doing.

I'm not going to get into details, but...Rule #1: You DON'T use sandpaper to dull/wear the finish, because then it REALLY looks fake!

This is probably this genleman's studio:

I can't believe the name on headstock...

636089.jpg

His girlfriend with HER special guitar...

(Part of the series of "Guitars modelled after the ingredients in V-8").

636122.jpg

And finally, an opinion...

Twilight-Zone-20000feet_l.jpg

well... just take a look at eddie van halen's frankenstrat... that's in much worse condition... middle pickup ripped out, neck pickup not working/disconnected but left in slot...

the thing is, the guy selling this firebird 'aint van halen... unless he gets famous with it, he shouldn't be able to sell that...

well... just take a look at eddie van halen's frankenstrat... that's in much worse condition... middle pickup ripped out' date=' neck pickup not working/disconnected but left in slot...

the thing is, the guy selling this firebird 'aint van halen... unless he gets famous with it, he shouldn't be able to sell that...[/quote']The main difference is, with the exception of the [chiseled out] p/u cavity, Eddies "Frankenstrat" was relatively new when he modded it. It looks like it does today, because of years of getting the CRAP played out of it. Now this guy took a...not so old guitar, and completely destroyed it by trying (unsuccessfully) to "age"/"relic" it, thinking he could sell it for more money than it's obviously worth.

Ah, yes, eBay, where you can earn money from youthful stupidity! Or think you can, anyhow. Just put "One of a kind" or "rare" or whatnot in the header line.

I wonder if any of these monstrosities sell?

I also wonder, where's the remorse? Is the guy PROUD that he did that? If so, why is he selling it?

More than I can answer.

Archived