Gibson Brands Forums

Epi G-1275: Plywood?

mr. moon

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ratsass, I am totally aware of all my posts, and aware that you may see the apparent inconsistencies (your take) as some sort of weakness of knowledge or character on my part. If it makes you feel better about yourself, wonderful.

To set the record straight, there are better components available than what Epiphone uses.

Remember the definition of "forum" - a public meeting or assembly for open discussion.

This is my final post in this thread.

Remember the definition of "forum" - a public meeting or assembly for open discussion.

Fringe, sorry if this blew up in your face, I didn't mean to get the whole forum against you. Yes, it's an open forum so just as you have a right to an opinion, the next guy (or gal) has a right to a difference of opinion. This forum seems to take that to a bit of an extreme - post misinformation and you're likely to be corrected by a dozen people instead of just once. But there seems to be a couple of cool people lurking here. You just don't hear from them as much. Hang in there Fringe. party0012.gif

Some of my Epi guitars are so beautiful I rarely play them; They sit on stands looking great while I play my Gibbys and Fenders to death..........My Epi Riviera P-3 though, always gets played.......so so sweet...........

I guess my Epi Jr. is a 'ply' guitar.........I bought it new cheap, it plays fine, looks fine, and will be used as a platform to mod into a work of art.....I have no problem with guitars being 'ply' as long as I am aware of the fact.......

The only plywood (as opposed to laminate such as you'll get in archtops and semi acoustics) Epiphone is the G-1275. All the other solid bodied guitars are just that - solid wood. They may be made of several pieces glued together a bit like a butchers block but it will be solid wood.

If it's not then it's a fake!

Most of the bolt-neck Epi Jrs are plywood. I know because I've owned several and it's quite obvious. Here's a photo of the pickup cavity re-rout I did on one:

P1030293-1.jpg

The exceptions are the recent Indonesian versions and the set-neck '57 reissues. Both of those have the "Limited Edition / Custom Shop" stamp on the back. Here's a shot of the neck cavity on one of the recent Indonesian Jrs:

P1030263.jpg

But I have to say, the plywood Epiphone uses is actually pretty good stuff for what it is. It is 100% void-free as far as I've seen, and since it's a ply, it is much stronger than most solid wood. It makes sense that Epi would make 1275s out of it, that stuff is as rigid as granite.

When it comes to drilling, routing, sawing or using for self defense, I'd rather have a plywood Junior in my hands 'cause it won't split. As for tone inferiority, I think a lot of it's hogwash. Good amp, good pickups and electronics, fresh set of strings and an experienced player and I'd put good money no one would ever be able to pick out one over the other.

Most of the bolt-neck Epi Jrs are plywood. I know because I've owned several and it's quite obvious. Here's a photo of the pickup cavity re-rout I did on one:

I stand corrected. [blush]

To be honest I tend to forget about the bolt neck Epi models which is why I said what I did.

SO modifying what I said to be completely accurate If it's a set neck solid body Epi and not solid wood (other than the G1275) - Its a fake!

I stand corrected. [blush]

No problem, I've stopped counting the mistakes I've made on this forum. Good thing is there's always somebody here more than willing to correct me.:rolleyes:

But what's the deal with this whole plywood snobbery thing? It's not like Epi is trying to HIDE the fact from buyers, is it? One or two Google searches and you have all the information you would ever need on any mass-produced git under the sun, from the factory and every other mook in the world who has one. Epi's 1275 is a BUDGET version of the real thing and ya get what ya pay for.

Here's a pic from a tour of the C.F. Martin factory I went on last year, and they're using "plywood" for necks for crying out loud - and not even trying to hide it:

MartinTour6-26-09039.jpg

It's a cost-cutting measure for their mid/low-end guitars, and they say it is extremely stable and strong. No doubt in my mind, they could make ML baseball bats out of that stuff and they'd never crack!

Interesting Martin factory photo........As a dedicated guitarist, and guitar collector, I insist on many ' traditional' guitars in my stable.....However, multi laminate necks are the norm in some basses and some guitars,

as is the use of multiple pieces of wood in guitar bodies etc etc etc.....Those Martin necks look interesting.....almost 'good looking'......The thread on guitar woods was and is interesting, and although I knew

most of the info in the thread; as always, there was info from a different angle to absorb........The original Gibby LPs were made from OLD GROWTH mahogany.......So much changes...There is still sustainable

Brazilian rosewood available in the form of the old tree stumps being dug up.....It is a shame that the quantity of quality wood is continuing to decline, but, that's the way that it is...Flaxwood Guitars is an interesting

company with an interesting solution......For me, if a guitar is well made, looks great, and sounds great, it can be in my collection....The OP's D.N. Epi is an extreme example of a 'badly' made guitar......

Interesting conversation, from many angles.........

• 1 year later...
Guest Brian K

Comments like these do not make a good impression with the senior members. Maybe you should stop internetting for awhile. I'm going to report this thread and have it locked. Have a good night.

Which comments? I guess the panties in a wad could of been said better, sorry, but I stand by the rest. The comment i responded to in the thread about Gibson executives deserved being called out as ridiculous and I stand by it. However, had I known that this would reactivate this thread I would not have commented. I figured someone would have to specifically be searching for it to see any new comments.

Which comments? I guess the panties in a wad could of been said better, sorry, but I stand by the rest. The comment i responded to in the thread about Gibson executives deserved being called out as ridiculous and I stand by it. However, had I known that this would reactivate this thread I would not have commented. I figured someone would have to specifically be searching for it to see any new comments.

I think you would enjoy the Gibson Lounge much more than this quiet corner Brian.......Welcome to the forums......

Archived