Gibson Brands Forums

From that to this....

duane v

My 2009 SG faded in el stock form

083-2-1.jpg?t=1253579553

The le transformation.

P9210177b.jpg?t=1253579638

Some waffle back tuners.... But I'm a bit upset at the people that sold them to me, because they're supposed to be able to read my mind and know that I would need the off-set tuner bushing8-[ ... LOL!

P9210175b.jpg?t=1253579721

Once I get her intonated and find out where the bridge saddles are positioned. Then I'll see if I have enough bridge saddle travel to re-position the bridge straight rather than at an angle.

Pretty Sharp! Reminds me of an SG a friend of mine had back in the late '70's early '80's, except the bridge pickup. Where're you getting all these logo'd pickups anyway? Also I never did get a chance to complement you on your Custom, another sharpee! Is that one of those...I think they called them "Worn", or "Faded" white? Definately ain't Alpine.

Pretty Sharp! Reminds me of an SG a friend of mine had back in the late '70's early '80's' date=' except the bridge pickup. Where're you getting all these logo'd pickups anyway? Also I never did get a chance to complement you on your Custom, another sharpee! Is that one of those...I think they called them "Worn", or "Faded" white? Definately ain't Alpine.[/quote']

thanx Mati

The LPC came with the logo'd pups. As for the color, I believe they called it vintage or custom white in 1981

I acquired the logo'd pup cover on the SG from TrueTone Music. The bridge pup is a 1982 Dimarzio Super D.

Pretty dang nice Duane!

I've never been much of a fan for gold hardware....but that looks righteous!

I wanna see a pic of the whole guitar.

thanks Brad.

I've never been a fan of chrome.... I like nickel or gold.... But I received such a great deal on the gold stuff, that it cost just about $0.00 to make the conversion, because I was able to sell the stock chrome hardware, tuners, 490T pup, and some other stuff that was just sitting in my parts drawer I knew I would never use.

looks awsome man, what kind of bridge is that?, and is that the faded SG ....if so, how do u like it , Ive been kinda weary of them because Ive heard some many mixed reviews and I played a veryyy poorly set up one with a broken switch on it at my local GC about 2 years ago..I reallly want a gibby SG and those are the only ones in my price range so what can you tell me about em? thanks!

Thanx Max, and yes it's a 2009 faded SG

I'll be honest, I kept going to the local GC and I kept playing it, then I would come back a few days later and play it some more.... I did this for about three weeks, and finally the Sales person said he would let it go for $700 out the door, which at that point I couldn't resist. I took the guitar to my Luthier and had it set-up and a complete fret-dress and it just played AWESOME!!!

I installed the Dimarzio SuperD and the guitar just became a gem..... However I just couldn't get attached to the chrome hardware and the green flemmy looking tuner buttons. So the change to the gold hardware is looking like a welcoming sign for me.

Well she's all together and she intonates fantstic..... Definitely a more ringing tone to her.

I also dig those Kluson waffle back tuners..... Gibson should consider adding those back to the to the LPC's, since Kluson has re-released them.

P9230179b.jpg?t=1253763944

P9230181b.jpg?t=1253764046

Something about the gold hardware against the faded finish looks very apealing. It's kinda like classy/trashy. I like it. Not sure about tha speed knobs, though. The knobs on the SG are too close together for speed knobs. Bell style reflector knobs would be cooler IMO. I remember seeing reflector knobs that had gold reflectors (instead of silver), online somewhere. Stew Mac maybe. Just a thought.

Some waffle back tuners.... But I'm a bit upset at the people that sold them to me' date=' because they're supposed to be able to read my mind and know that I would need the off-set tuner bushing8-[ ... LOL!

[/quote']

Offset tuner bushings? Whazzat?

Looking righteous Duane. Definitely a 70s vibe to it. (Alltho anything with a Superdistortion is, in my book LOL)

Speaking of "offset". There's a guy on the LP-forum who had the same problem with his harmonica-bridge, and fixed it by making offset bridgeposts.

I may start modding one of my guitars this weekend, using the parts I got from you. Thanks again!

Wow; that is quite a transformation Duane. I've never cared much for the Faded line' date=' not so much the finish but overall quality, but that is a beaut. I hope she plays as well as she looks.[/quote']

thanks SG (hope you and your family is doing well).... and thanx to everyone else in sharing my warped sense of vision.....

She plays like a dream and sounds pretty obnoxious:d/ ....... I'll be doing a Top Gun demo today after work with her.

Guest icantbuyafender

Man, Gold heavy weight knurled tele knobs would be BOSS on that. Same for a gold USA metal switch tip.

Im really bothered by the pickup cover being only on one pickup, and backwards at that.

But thats my OCD tendencies. I know, ya cant cover a Super D.... it just looks right open.

Im seriously in love with the Gold accents.

Oh i need me a LP custom.

Duane, you must be a VERY proud owner!!!

(A gold maestro vibrola would look SICKK!!!!!)

You guys are correct, the bridge is positioned straight rather than an angle on the 70's Gibson.....

When I get home, I'm going to calculate the distance of the Low E and A bridge saddles with the bridge straight, to ensure there's enough travel for intonation. Based on the calibrated eye, it appears I have sufficient bridge saddle travel.

DAMN, I've gotten somewhat guitar smart hanging out on EpiWiki and Epi forums over the last 11 months...LOL... I would have never attempted stuff like this, even though it's truly basic...... As a matter of fact, this is the first time I've changed my own strings since 1984..... though I still say it would be easier if you had a third arm.. I was struggling a bit with that last night.

Duane speaking of vintage Dimarzio's check out this 78 Gibby L6-S I scored last week for $575! I love it!l6-s.jpg

:) ..................

I've been wanting one of those since seeing that life size advertisement of Carlos playing one at Hanich Music in 74-75.........

I begged my parents to front me a loan so I could get one, but it was right after receiving my SG200. And by the time I was able to mow enough lawns, and deliver enough Harold Examiner news papers to afford it........ she was long gone#-o

I didnt speak to my parents for two days[-( ...... I think I went on a mini hunger strike...LOL!!!

Archived