Gibson Brands Forums

New electronics coming

Hooligan

Today, I finally ordered new electronics. Called Billy at RS Guitarworks and bit the bullet. I got the complete CTS Super Pot kit with new caps and short switch. Lately my switch has been malfunctioning so I figured now is the time. I'll update when I get them installed.

I know this kit is pretty expensive but I really want the best tone I can get ....

dude I have this kit installed its unbelievable! do the 50s wiring and you did get the vintage braided cable as well right? the difference between the super pots was well worth the money for my ears

I ended up doing the grey tiger caps as well soon as i get another spare c note i will get another kit for my other les paul

me?

over 1 buck

the caps were like $45 i think and i know that's too much right but man they really work! i think the super pots are about $14 EACH but you only need 'em for volume the other ones are matched CTS for tone

wiring kit and switchcraft jacks and switches like $35ish think all together was about 109 maybe RSGUITAR WORKS is online (not sure if i am allowed to post their link)

also keep this in mind!

if going in an epi the holes gotta be enlarged! there is an easier way to do this without drilling... roll up some sand paper and roll it thru the hole takes a bit of time but super safe

Yeah the kit was about $90 which scares some Epiphone guys. I have heard from more than one person that I really trust that the difference is astounding. I've also ordered new jack plate, new treble ring, and switch tips...................All Chrome. Since I'm getting new pots I will need new knobs as well. I beleive the shafts on the super pots are bigger than the hole in my stock knobs. I'm looking at the ringo or dome knobs from Q-parts..............again in chrome. That will be the last of the original plastic parts on this guitar. I still have all those parts in a bag in the desk drawer. For me I love the shine !

Once I get all these parts in it's going to the shop. I'd rather let the pro's handle the wiring and any drilling.............

Well if their product is anything like their customer service these things should be smoking. Paid for regular ground shipping. I figure I should see them Monday or Tuesday........ Nope Brown stopped in-front of my house today and what do you know, they're here. One day shipping for the price of regular ground. Not sure who to thanks, UPS or RS. I'm not lookin a gift horse in the mouth. I'm gonna have them installed next week. Before I do I'll record some simple chords. I'll play the same stuff after the install. Hopefully we'll hear a difference. So far two thumbs up for RS Guitarworks =D>/ =D>/ =D>/ =D>/ =D>/

Pots.jpg

Look what else showed up today. I had to drill a few holes as it was not a perfect fit but it worked out.

0924092330.jpg

DSCN0136.JPG

I did my own here's a good trick for the "do it your self ers"

cut out a piece of cardboard and mount the pots on it

also VERY IMPT FLUX

I bought a flux pen not quite as messy

Flux allows the solder to stick to the pot! without it you can damage the pot and at 14 a piece for the super pots you don't wanna do that

So hmmm, what caps are those the RS pio's?

Also I have installed a Mojo Music kit

in my friends epi

was very nice but not quite as nice

There are several here that kinda scoff at the RS kits. I've done two G-400's with them and personally I think you'll be STUNNED by the outcome. The tech that installed mine was. By the time I got to the store to pick-up the first one I had done: he'd demoed the thing for every salesman in the place. He still talks about it to this day, and that was 3 years ago. Both of mine also got Gibson pups (BB-II/Angus & BB-II/BB-III), TonePros bridge & tails, GraphTech Nuts, and STOCK Grovers. They stay in tune very well even under agressive playing which I think kinda blows the stock tuners suck argument (for me anyway). I'm currently working on a project G-400 that has a RS Kit waiting for install into it as well. This one's kinda different in that it's getting a roller bridge to go with it's stock vibrola and Gibson P-94's. RS customer service is second to none and their clients are some of the most respected players in the world. It always amazes me to know that when you pick up the phone not only are you talking directly to the technicians; but they are the same guys that may have just hung up with somebody famous. They sent the wrong type toggle to me once: one phone call netted - A. the correct switch - overnighted at their expense. Shippng was more than twice the cost of the part. B. No call tag for the wrong switch, they INSISTED that I keep it on hand should I ever get a body that could use it. C. Free T-Shirt just a bonus for the hassle (?!? huh? less than 24 hours-problem solved- what? who does business like this anymore?) Outstanding customer service and world class reputation aside, the proof is in the tone of your personal instrument. You, (and everybody else), will be shocked. They are a l'il more expensive than other kits, but they're better, matched, components that come with unbelievable tech support. Are they worth the difference? First time, (of many to come), when you hear, "Your Epiphone sounds better than my Gibson!", and you smile and say, "I know", you'll find that it was rather inexpensive all things considered. Congrats on a wise investment.....

Wedgie

Congrats on a wise investment.....Wedgie

Well, the only wisdom is being new but listening to those that are not........ many thanks to folks here and other sites I frequent that pointed me in the right direction.

All said and done I'll have less than $700 in this guitar once I drop in a set of Pearly Gates and it will be way more guitar than I could ever deserve. Yeah it's not a Gibson........Blah Blah Blah........ Folks need to stop listening with their eyes!

I have also ordered a small jar of conductive paint. before the new pots go in I'll be painting the cavities. I am also bidding on a leather Epiphone strap......

here,s one for ya my dog ate the box my caps came in!

The Luxe PIO caps are not made by RS but distributed by them so I had to wait a few weeks. Finally they come in and are sitting in a box with all I ordered (unfortunately at doggie level) I come home from work and notice a box in the living room... AHH!!!(ok animal people the dog is fine) My dog Marshall had carried the box into the living room pulled off the top and chewed a taste of my 45 dollars caps! I called RS and they were rolling.. I mean come on it's pretty funny looking back on it. They were so cool about it I told them let me see first. Turns out he hadn't damaged them beyond a cosmetic issue in fact i barley penetrated the wax. RS offered to replace them but there was nothing wrong

DSCN0128.JPG

I wrapped it with a piece of masking tape now i got some real vintage GROWL

lol

Archived