Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Wilshires

Fenario

:D Hiya.

I'm brand new to the forum, and not that great at online forums.

BUT a friend just told me that my ole red electric is a Wilshire and worth Big Bux, and I was wondering how one can tell its age, whether it's a true Epiphone Wilshire, and how to value this thing? I lost my job yet again and my playing out doesn't seem to be going anywhere in terms of income, so , well, it really felt like very good news.

I'm considering selling it, even though I bought it from a friend way back in about 1985. FOR A SONG. :D/ And I was looking at that same friend's recommendation, Gruhn Guitars in Nashville to buy it. THEY do appraisals, but I feel that couldn't be trustworthy. :-s I'd feel stupid getting an appraisal from the folks who'd be buying it.

What say you, about the authenticity, and an honest appraisal?

Paranoia strikes deep in the heartland...

Thanks for being here, folks:-({|=

Welcome, Fenario! There are a lot of really informed folks in this forum (maybe even a few more than usual) and I'm sure they can steer you in the right direction.

First and foremost, however, they will need some information. Photos of the guitar in question as well as a serial number will be a basic necessity to get started. Post that info and you'll be sure to get some responses ... these guys love a challenge!

Jim

Take it in for the appraisal, find out what, they will give you for it, then put it up on ebay. Use the price the shop wanted to buy it for as your starting price, and the appraisal price as your reserve. What ever you do don't sell it to the same shop that did the appraisal.

Seriously, some pics would help. Got a serial number?

Well, that serial tells us that:

Your guitar was made in

Korea

January c.1991

Production Number: 4784

Since you bought it in '85, either the Guitar Dater info is wrong, or you've discovered a crack in the space/time continuum! This one's a tuffy, I guess ... don't know if that tiny pic is going to be much help. Any chance of getting a larger one posted?

Jim

Well' date=' that serial tells us that:

[b']Your guitar was made in

Korea

January c.1991

Production Number: 4784 [/b]

Since you bought it in '85, either the Guitar Dater info is wrong, or you've discovered a crack in the space/time continuum!

Jim

I vote for the crack....... just sayin.

Yeah, I second the crack idea. I'm not just sayin; it happens all the time with me.

I'm gonna try to get a better pic, though not if this thing is just full of sentimental value. (It plays well!)

The plate that has the serial # also has "Made in JAPAN". I didn't wanna post that. Oh, and the purchase "in 1985" has wiggle room, and I bought it used from a freind (Out of touch with him). Coulda been anywhere from 1983-1987, but again, it was used. So, something really is wrong here - my kids were born before the date that you mentioned, and I bought it WELL before then. It was definitely made before 1991.

Hunh? How can I reconcile this?

There's your issue - Made in Japan.

It's not a terribly valuable guitar, in comparison to the Kalamazoo-made instruments of the 60s. It's worth a few hundred, $400 at the most, I'd say. It was also called the Crestwood, after a Kalamazoo model with a similar body shape.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JAPAN-MADE-EPIPHONE-SOLID-BODY-ELECTRIC-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ200386663544QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item2ea7f9d478&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/1973-1974-Epiphone-ET-290-Crestwood-Made-in-Japan-MIJ_W0QQitemZ290351662769QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item439a4ec6b1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Worth "Big Bucks??" NOT! Might hold it's value, at best...or, with inflation, it might be worth a bit more. But, it will not be

like one made in Kalamazoo (USA), in the '60's, would be worth. That isn't to say it's not a great guitar! And, if you love it, that's all

that really matters, anyway. Good "Vintage" Japanese guitars, are gaining some strides, as "collectible," but still...nothing like the

prices that original USA made Wilshire's would have.

Cheers,

CB

Yeah, it's an ET series (I believe an ET-290) Here's a link to one on GBase.

http://www.gbase.com/gear/epiphone-coronet-et-290-1978-sunburst

They're asking $595 and that's high. I've seen them go for under $200 and above $400 (and everywhere in between).

Great guitars but definitely different than the wilshire. The ET has a flat wide neck and the Wilshire has a rounder (meatier) neck.

Sorry.

Harumph. I deeply appreciate your info, folks. But it's BAD NEWS!! I coulda used the Big Bucks, dadgumit. At least I know the truth. I may still get a appraisal, but I'll probably just hang on to this thing. Thanks for rockin in the free world!!

Archived