Gibson Brands Forums

'56 Goldtop

DJ2257

Hi,

I have just bought a 2003 '56 Goldtop which I am very pleased with. There is one thing that surprised me however, and that is that the back and neck have a cherry coloured finish similar to what you might get say on a cherry sunburst. I always thought goldtops (Epiphone or Gibson), had a clear finish over the mahaogany?

Can anyone tell me if the finish on the back and neck should be cherry or natural (i.e brown) - or either!!

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

Very strange that we seem to have both brown and dark red (cherry) backs! I would have thought that all the factories were working to the same specs for the GT's (assuming thats the reason for the difference).

i think my living room carpet is pink. my mother says it's terrocata.

someone has just sprayed the top gold? maybe looking in the humbucker routes will tell a story?

I'ts definately a legit '56 gold top' date=' I was just curious about the colour of the back. Anyway, here's a couple of photo's (with pickguard removed).....

[img']http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx320/dj2257/004.jpg[/img]

012.jpg

I wouldn't really call that cherry. I just think it's not stained as dark as jcwillows, or perhaps the colour of the wood used isn't as dark either. I don't think it's a cause for concern or anything, I think it's within the parameters of what is acceptable variation between the factories. If it was pink, or obviously very starkly different, it would be unacceptable but, as I said, it may not be stained as dark, or the particular bit of wood they used might not be as dark.

Looks like a nice guitar to me. But put the pickguard back on! :(

I remember a Gibby '56 I tried out at a store a couple years ago had a kind of rusty-orangey back. Also, the gold glitter had much smaller flakes. Personally, I like my Epi '56 much better. I know it will never be a Gibson, but the way I have tricked out my Epi, I could never justify paying 2 grand more for the "real thing" Gibson re-issue. FWIW

Archived