Gibson Brands Forums

Sold my Dot Deluxe

timandbob

So, after several months of working on intonation and not being successful at keeping the guitar in tune, I sold my Dot Deluxe VS today. Last week I bought a JR Beck SHC-908 (an ES 135 copy). It plays real smooth, and stays mostly in tune, except for the g-string after a song with many string bends. I'll be using it tomorrow in our gig at the Houston Street Fair in San Antonio (we play right in front of the Alamo). I'll let you know how it goes. Oh, and I'll post some pics up as soon as I have a few minutes to take them.

What' date=' in your opinion, was the problem with the guitar?[/quote']Not sure. I know that I had intonation issues, buzzing issues on the A string (but occasionally on other strings), the G string would never stay in tune, even after just strumming chords for one song. I tried all sorts of stuff to keep it in tune, including graphite in the nut slots, a couple of different nuts (including an Earvana nut for a while), different strings, adjusting the bridge height, etc. Open chords were not in tune, but barre chords were okay. The tech who set up the guitar told me, "sometimes, that's what you get with a $300 guitar".

Example: one chord that drove me crazy was the Dm7; open position the chord sounded terrible, but in the barre position on the 5th fret, it sounded in tune.

Had some of those same issues with my Dot that I just sold. The Earvana nut and a home setup took care of it though....
Well' date=' it could very well be my incomplete guitar set up skills. I am just a beginner in it all, so that could be it. My new guitar, so far, has none of those issues.

Oh, and if you want to see what my guitar looks like, its a vintage tobacco burst, and it looks like this (although this guitar is a cherry burst) And, the guitar was made in the Saein guitar factory in Korea (so it is like one of the Shine guitar models).

I always get a luthier to set my guitars up professionally ... even though I could probably do it' date=' I'm not a pro and what I want is a pro set-up. You may have had better luck if you did the same but ah well.

Tiki.[/quote']Tiki -- sorry, in my posts above I wasn't clear. At first I had it set up with a luthier, but he's the one who told me not to expect much with a $300 guitar. Since it wasn't right after having the professional set up, I kept tinkering with it.

The thing is, on my Beck guitar, no set up was really necessary. It plays great straight up out of the box.

Sorry to hear you had problems with your Dot, but I'm glad you're enjoying your new JR Beck =D>

I guess you just had the tough luck of buying a Monday-morning product, it happens with the best of brands so your luthier's remark: "well that's what you get with a $300 guitar" is imho a rather cheap shot.

New JR Beck ES 135 clone was unbelievable yesterday. We played at the Houston Street Fair, on the street in downtown San Antonio. When I did the intro riff from "Revolution" (big distortion) about 30 people walking by on the street stopped and turned around to listen and then sing along. Next song was "Sundown" (Gordon Lightfoot); changed the tone to clean and mellow and it was beautiful.

And my wife, learning electric bass, played both songs (Squier Modified Jazz Bass) - sounded wonderful.

Man I still need to take some pics of the guitar.

That's very cool. I live in Boerne. I'm gonna have to catch you guys one of these days. Maybe at the tamale place on I-10. I haven't been there yet' date=' It looks like a fun place.[/quote']Right, Mi Casa Tamales, Oct 31, 2009 7pm to 10pm. Great margaritas, and great atmosphere there.

Love to see you there John. If you are able to come by, make sure you stop by the stage to say hi.

Archived