Gibson Brands Forums

Photos of Sherry ^^

Hy everyone,

I have a little request, i would like to ask if the Sheraton owners would post some pics of their instruments.

The ones i find on the internet are quite crappy.

I would love to see photos of the switch toggle and of the tone knobs, just because these are the things you dont see on the internet.

Also i would love to see pics of the Natural and Sunburst color, it would help me with my choise of the instrument.

Anyhow, many thanks.

Greets

J.

I got them from me!

I sell stuff.

Those are gold dome knobs.. I think Q parts. Set screw with brass inserts so they fit any size pot shaft.

I liked the way they looked.. and matched up so I added a gold switch tip, too.

My supplier is allparts. I think I may have another set.

I heard Q parts is quitting knobs.. but there are other brands that are made the same.

TWANG

I got them from me!

I sell stuff.

Those are gold dome knobs.. I think Q parts. Set screw with brass inserts so they fit any size pot shaft.

I liked the way they looked.. and matched up so I added a gold switch tip' date=' too.

My supplier is allparts. I think I may have another set.

I heard Q parts is quitting knobs.. but there are other brands that are made the same.

TWANG

[/quote']

I should have known that, if you have another set please pm me the price please.

Thanks

Svet - nice foot shot! The guitar ain't half bad either :)

Twang, I like the gold knobs too. I have put some chrome and black tele knobs on a couple of my LP copies and I love them. I may have to get a set of gold ones for my Sherry, just to change up the look from time to time.

Here's mine:

Sherry.jpg

SheratonwithStepKnobs001.jpg

Crispy77;

That's a fine collection of Sheratons. The '82 is particularly nice looking. I didn't realize they came with Frequensator tailpieces; thought that was only for Rivieras. Do you notice much difference in the neck width and contour among yours? I keep reading about Sheratons with chunky necks, but I've never found one.

The frequensator tailpiece was on the original Sheratons in the 60s too. I am about to put one on mine, along with a few other changes ... but here's how it looks at the moment:

2905866149_d5a588fd0d_o.jpg

(well, at the moment it has been stripped of all hardware prior to buffing out the finish a bit)

Thanks Caliban! That's a bad pic of the 81, but the 81 and 82 are really pretty much the same guitar (don't tell my wife that) in finish, which is gorgeous, and feel and for the most part sound. One just has the stop bar and the other has the Frequensator. Love them both. These 2 and the MIK all feel very consistent. The Elite however feels like a completely different guitar, much rounder neck. That's the closest thing to a chunky neck Sheraton that I've ever seen. BTW, how do you like the 90's in the Sherry? I've been thinking about a set of Phat Cats or the GFS Mean 90's in my MIK.

Matthewk—I'm really digging the chrome hardware, I might have to look into doing that on my MIK too. :) Did you strip and chrome the original bridge? It looks great.

Thanks for the compliment, I think it's a better look as well. I stripped all the hardware, no need to chrome it because gold plating has chrome underneath(it's part of the gold plating process, I think they plate steel with copper then nickel then gold). It was a pig of a job, I would probably recommend buying new hardware instead. I spent hours on the bridge and tuners - and I have just bought some replacement Grovers, so that effort was wasted! The bridge is a funny size on these 90s Korean Sheratons, there is only one drop-in replacement available and it's hard to get, so stripping that was probably a reasonable thing to do.

For some parts you can lift off the gold using oven cleaner (spray lots of it in a glass jar and soak for a day or two - WEAR GLOVES AND RINSE EVERYTHING 5 TIMES AFTERWARD!) but other parts require scrubbing with a metal polish, which abrades the thin layer of gold off quickly, and leaves the hard chrome underneath. It does give a bit of an "aged" look so beware if you're not into that.

Archived