Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton II ... Is there a difference?

BluesDisciple

Hi. New person here.

I just bought my first Gibson SG Standard the other day. It was a hard choice between it and an Epi Sheraton II. So hard that I am scheming on how to add the Sheraton II to my collection anyway.

It was a new Sheraton, made in Korea. I was surprised it was not made in China. According to Gibson CS, they are produced in both factories. So, my first question to the forum is is there any real difference between a Korean and a Chinese Sheraton II?

The only difference I have seen is that recent (Chinese?) Sheratons have a one-piece neck which is a bit thicker than the very slim five-piece neck on (some? 90s?) Korean Sheratons. Also the hardware is slightly different - many of the 90s Koreans used non-standard-size bridges, although I don't know about more recent ones.

All Sheraton's nowadays, Korean, Chinese, or even the Japanese "Elitist" versions are "Sheraton II's!"

Sheratons (sometimes referred to, as Sheraton I) were made, originally, in Kalamazoo MI, with a freqensatory tailpiece, and Mini-humbuckers.

The Sheraton II, was later introduced, with a "stop bar" tail piece, but was otherwise, idendical.

There were some earlier Japanese versions, I believe, with the frequenstaor tailpiece, as well...but, they had full sized

humbucker pickups.

CB

Right...the Korean has a 5-piece neck (length wise), whereas the Chinese has a 3-piece (solid center portion, with an added "heel," and Headstock).

Also, the upper bout, of the Chinese version is shaped more like a Gibson-Epiphone, than the more "Generic" look, of the Korean and some ealier

Japanese versions. The "Elitist" is the only real "Asian" Sheraton, that is identical (save the headstock shape), to the original USA Sheratons.

Most of those had 1 piece necks, as well, although really early USA versions had a more Gibson type headstock, and a 5-piece neck, like the Korean

version.

CB

All Sheraton's nowadays' date=' Korean, Chinese, or even the Japanese "Elitist" versions are "Sheraton II's!"

Sheratons (sometimes referred to, as Sheraton I) were made, originally, in Kalamazoo MI, with a freqensatory tailpiece, and Mini-humbuckers.

The Sheraton II, was later introduced, with a "stop bar" tail piece, but was otherwise, idendical.

There were some earlier Japanese versions, I believe, with the frequenstaor tailpiece, as well...but, they had full sized

humbucker pickups.

CB[/quote']

Way to miss the entire question Charlie Brown...

Archived