Gibson Brands Forums

LP-100 Pickups...

epi369

I own a 1996 LP-100, build in Unsung Plant, Korea [u6080184]. My question is what kind of humbucker pups being use. When I surf the epiphone website to get some info on the LP-100 pups, it say hot open coil Alcino V humbuckers [700T/650R]... is this applies to the model they build back in the 90s? Just curious to know more my axe details, I bought it in 1998... pls clarify... TQVM.

Guest icantbuyafender

they just used regular alnico V pickups that are now known as 650R/700T. there isn't much else to know other than they have more output than the 57classic replica that comes in other models. the LP100 has the same pups as the goth LP studio. they actually handle gain fairly decently..... other than that... not much else to know....

-Easiest way to tell is to pull them during your next string change. Hopefully the stickers should be on the bottom unless you bought it used and someone peeled them off.

L8R' date='

Matt[/quote']

I just did that... by the way I'm the first owner, but back then I don't really care much... as long I got the Slash kind of tone... just recently I starts to care more on the electronics... back to the Hums... it didn't have any stickers on it except the word Epiphone embeded on the bottom... how if I chance the stock P'ups to Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro... is it worth to do it :-k ? Which cost me MYR415.00 each... :-k

Thx guys for all the replies...

Well if the guitars feels great and plays great you could get Seymour Duncans. Your sound will be greatly improved. Il ever you upgrade your guitar later you can always move the Duncans in that guitar... So your investment is not lost. I bought an LP-100 in 96 too and I upgraded the pickups then. I now have many other guitars but I still play the LP-100. Though mine has a flame maple top, binding around the body and neck and trapezoid inlays. It's basically a Standard with a bolt-on neck...

If the guitar feels and plays great go!

I just did that... by the way I'm the first owner' date=' but back then I don't really care much... as long I got the Slash kind of tone... just recently I starts to care more on the electronics... back to the Hums... it didn't have any stickers on it except the word Epiphone embeded on the bottom... how if I chance the stock P'ups to Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro... is it worth to do it :P ? Which cost me MYR415.00 each... '](*,)

Thx guys for all the replies...

Before you put more money into PUPs than the guitar is or will ever be worth, why not try out some HBs from GFS?

http://store.guitarfetish.com/humbuckers.html

They're cheap and get great reviews on this and many other forums.

Guest icantbuyafender

+1 to brianh

the LP100 isn't something to write home but since its worth it to you, I'd put in some GFS classic II's.... they're like the duncan alnico II's but more affordable.

brianh...

thx Bro for the link... so many to choose from... LP-100 is the most I play coz of the tone and natural sustain... sounded better then the rest of my guitars... I intend to upgrade the p'ups but I'm still happy with the stock p'ups.

Ron G,

I'm using Ibanez TBX 150R Tone Blaster amp w/ reverb 2x12' speaker, 150 watt and multi efx Digitech RP500 w/ the Marshall JCM 900 amp simulator to get the tube sound..

thx for all the replies, at least i have a second opinion on the upgrades... and the link on the p'ups really helps... TQ...

Guest icantbuyafender
brianh...

thx Bro for the link... so many to choose from... LP-100 is the most I play coz of the tone and natural sustain... sounded better then the rest of my guitars... I intend to upgrade the p'ups but I'm still happy with the stock p'ups.

Ron G' date='

I'm using Ibanez TBX 150R Tone Blaster amp w/ reverb 2x12' speaker, 150 watt and multi efx Digitech RP500 w/ the Marshall JCM 900 amp simulator to get the tube sound..

thx for all the replies, at least i have a second opinion on the upgrades... and the link on the p'ups really helps... TQ...[/quote']

Since you are using a solid state amp and digital processor, I dont know if upgrading your pickups is going to matter, as you can just taylor the sound to your liking with the digitech. Also, good pickups are wax potted (except for certain PAFs) so that you dont get overwhelming noise at high gain and high volume settings. But, your digitech should have a noise gate that you can adjust to cut out background noise anyway.

Really if you want to upgrade, it can only make the guitar sound better. I'd try a new nut or bridge or tail piece. A good set of tuners is always great.

If you like slash's tone, its based really off of his marshall amp natural tone and his playing style. the pickups are low output and very articulate. To accentuate his pick attack and playing style. He uses alot of legato (hammer on, pull off) and is not using his picking hand as fast and as sharply as Dave mustaine for instance. The pickups, as I said, bring this out and let every detail of his style shine through.

As a previous owner of the GFS classic II pickups, I say give them a try if you reallllly want to uprgade pickups. They are worth the money and have excellent sound both clean and overdriven. With GFS you have nothing to lose.

But, think about other part upgrades, as well as upgrading to a tube amp too, perhaps a Blackheart Eng. amp...

They are very affordable and built to last.

www.blackhearteng.com

Since you are using a solid state amp and digital processor' date=' I dont know if upgrading your pickups is going to matter, as you can just taylor the sound to your liking with the digitech. Also, good pickups are wax potted (except for certain PAFs) so that you dont get overwhelming noise at high gain and high volume settings. But, your digitech should have a noise gate that you can adjust to cut out background noise anyway.

Really if you want to upgrade, it can only make the guitar sound better. I'd try a new nut or bridge or tail piece. A good set of tuners is always great.

If you like slash's tone, its based really off of his marshall amp natural tone and his playing style. the pickups are low output and very articulate. To accentuate his pick attack and playing style. He uses alot of legato (hammer on, pull off) and is not using his picking hand as fast and as sharply as Dave mustaine for instance. The pickups, as I said, bring this out and let every detail of his style shine through.

As a previous owner of the GFS classic II pickups, I say give them a try if you reallllly want to uprgade pickups. They are worth the money and have excellent sound both clean and overdriven. With GFS you have nothing to lose.

But, think about other part upgrades, as well as upgrading to a tube amp too, perhaps a Blackheart Eng. amp...

They are very affordable and built to last.

www.blackhearteng.com[/quote']

Thanks Bro... you were right 'bout the digitech efx... I'm just curious to know what alnico are being use... II, III, or V, as on my amp, now I'm using Bass: 8, Mid: 4 and Treble: 6...

p/s when is this Alnico V born? ...

Archived