Gibson Brands Forums

HN(used)AD!

Sorry Epi, I held out for the Valve Senior as long as I could, but I finally went out and got myself a used Handsome Devil. It was a steal, too. $349 for the head and the matching cab at GC. It sounds great even at bedroom levels, but I'm really waiting to have the house to myself tomorrow so I can crank the hell out of it and see what it can really do :(/ Plus, it'll be a good starting point for learning how to mod stuff. I plan on getting the Bitmo kit for it eventually, I'm told that's an easy one to start with.

I know I know, "pictures or it didn't happen." When I'm done fiddling with it I'll find the camera and snap a few shots of it.

Congrats on the great deal! If I didn't already have 14 watts, I'd have snagged one of those myself. Not a bad little amp at all, and really too cheap to pass up, if you're looking for something in that power range.

As to output power, the days of massive, 100w stacks are all but over, except on very large stages. It just doesn't make any sense in a small to medium sized club, unless you're only using the amp for clean headroom, and get all of your dirt from pedals (which sort of defeats the whole purpose of using a tube amp, anyway).

Recently, one of the bands that I work with played a club that was a new venue for us. It has a fairly large stage, and the room isn't small, so, in order to avoid getting buried on stage, I set up my 50 watter to begin with. I use a hotplate on it and a plexi shield in front of the speaker cabinet, but I don't like to attenuate lower than -8db, and even that causes some tone degradation. At the end of the set, the soundman came up to praise the tone, but said "It's just way too much amp here...I don't even have you in the FOH mix."

I ran out during that first break to get my 14 watter, and we tried that, but he again said "That's going to be too much, too." I ran back out to grab my 7 watter, and he was happy as could be. I used that amp the rest of the night, and it worked perfectly fine, by getting my stage volume through the monitors.

Bottom line is, if you're running amps hot enough to get your distortion from the power tubes, anything over about 20 watts is just pointless overkill for most stages. Soundmen will HATE you for it and your FOH mix will suffer terribly from it, BUT if you can give him a signal that he can actually work with in the mix, you'll be a hero to him, the bar will like you better, and the FOH mix will be immeasurably better.

Alright, I finally put my guitar down long enough to take a few pictures...this thing rips!

The new toy...

SANY4035-1.jpg

And the Epi family:

SANY4011.jpg

The rest of the guitar/amp collection is scattered around the house, I'll take a giant group picture when I get it everything together.

Glad I've finally become a member of the valve amp community!

I run my 5w VJ on several cab's including a 4x12 I have filled with V30's,, you should try that Devil on the 4x12 you have there..

You'll probably like the tone much better that that single 12

(It always amuses me when I look at people’s pictures what they leave in the back ground, I assume the telescope is for the apt building next door?)

I run my 5w VJ on several cab's including a 4x12 I have filled with V30's' date=', you should try that Devil on the 4x12 you have there..

You'll probably like the tone much better that that single 12

(It always amuses me when I look at people’s pictures what they leave in the back ground, I assume the telescope is for the apt building next door?)[/quote']

Yeah, it sounds great through the Marshall. I'm thinking that's what I'll use when I play gigs with the band, and I'll just use the 1x12 for recording/rehearsal/solo gigs (once I actually get my solo thing going....gotta write some better material first, heh.) The Marshall sounds different, but not necessarily better. They both sound awesome, they're just two distinct sounds.

Oh, and my dad's a science teacher so that telescope's been in that room forever. Ha, forgot that was even there until after the picture was taken.

Yeah' date=' it sounds great through the Marshall. I'm thinking that's what I'll use when I play gigs with the band, and I'll just use the 1x12 for recording/rehearsal/solo gigs (once I actually get my solo thing going....gotta write some better material first, heh.) The Marshall sounds different, but not necessarily better. They both sound awesome, they're just two distinct sounds.

Oh, and my dad's a science teacher so that telescope's been in that room forever. Ha, forgot that was even there until after the picture was taken.[/quote']

My dad's a retired science teacher... I don't even remember how many times i've seen saturn's rings and jupiter's 4 biggest moons...

And i'm still holding out for the valve senior for two reasons: 1) i can't afford an amp right now anyway 2) i like 6V6's... (i know, some of you will say "there isn't a 6v6 sound" and try to start a big debate... but if i get the valve senior, i can always use yellow jackets and stick el84's in it... can't go the other way around with a blackheart...)

Archived