Gibson Brands Forums

G String not staying in Tune?

jeffo46

Hello everyone. One thing I've noticed with Epiphones is that the "G" string tends to go out of tune rather quickly, and is it me or do some of you feel that the sticker on the back of the headstock where it says " Inspected and set up in the USA by # so and so" seem to be a bunch of hogwash? I have a Les Paul Studio and a G-400 and both of them have had to have setups done when I got them in order for them to stay in tune. One way that I have discovered to alleviate the G string problem is to make sure that the tailpiece is on the same angle as the headstock. Once I did that, all of my tuning problems were solved.

Is it going out of tune in the open position or out of tune as you go up the neck? One string going out of tune can be stretch, a loose tuner, or movement in the bridge saddle. If you are talking about chords such as an open D not sounding right, it's an issue with guitars in general. You can read about it here ... http://www.endino.com/archive/tuningnightmares.html

The most revealing part of this article is the bottom section, Part 2 where he talks about intonation and why a guitar can never be perfectly tuned and have every chord sound perfect.

I can't say I've had the same experience really, both my Epis stay perfectly in tune all the tune, although both are models with Grovers as stock, and I don't know if that's the case with Sheratons.

The G on my strat is a shocker for going out though, and it's using GFS lockers.

I've only had tuning problems (intonation problems would be more accurate) with the Dot I had and it was fixed with an Earvana nut. The 6 or 7 other Epis have been intonated properly and keep tune as well or better than any other fiddle I've owned. If you want tuning problems, install a Floyd Rose on a strat sometime. Yeech.

Here's another good read for you:

http://images.onstagemag.com/files/46/0202setuptxt.html

QFT.

Read this! Most importantly and relevant to this topic, the second article down. "Wound G String".

The unwound G is always the first string to go. Its how I know that my strings are at the beginning of the end of their life-cycle.

Just to add the counter arguement, the G string on my Gibson SG can be a real pain if I don't keep the nut slots 'graphited' up. Conversely, my Epiphone LP never goes out of tune despite having a plastic nut with slots cut way lower than recommended by the experts.

Alan

Archived