Gibson Brands Forums

Anybody have an Epi Les Paul Special or Junior?

old mark

How do you like it? Or don't you like it? Good/Bad points?

I'm looking for a Rock and Roll guitar that has some tone and a very easy, fast neck, and I see these on eBay used for dirt cheap.....Just wondering if I should give in and buy one.

Thanks.

mark

I have one of the limited edition epiphone lp juniors. Its tv yellow and it has a set neck and the p100 pickup. This guitar is amazing. I absolutely love it. TONS of sustain! It is heavy but I still love it. You can see a pick of it in my avatar. Its the one on the right.

The guitarists in my last two bands used LP Specials at various times. These cheap guitars are hugely popular in Australia where we pay through the nose for guitars of all types. This is what I've discovered.

Good points:

* Very lightweight, extremely comfortable

* Simple idiot-proof controls, practical for stage work

* Handles distortion very nicely, pleasingly biting, crunchy distorted tone

* Cheap

* Looks cool, especially the custom paintjob ones

Bad points:

* Not tonally versatile, few switching options

* Clean sound is somewhat meh

* Bolt-on neck sensitive to knocks, will go out of tune if you bump it hard enough

* Not long-lasting as a melee weapon

I wouldn't say the Special or the Junior have "fast necks". They don't have massive thick Gibson LP/SG necks either, mind you. Somewhere in between I would say. It's quite possible to play fast on them, but if you're after a dedicated shredder's kind of instrument (thin and wide, big frets) at that price range maybe the budget-end Ibanez or Jackson models will be more your speed. I guess it depends on how versatile your playing is.

Yep I have an Epi LP Jnr. It has been modded a bit though. Didnt like the stock humbucker, so I swapped it for a Kent Armstrong H/B mount P90. The tuners were awful so I replaced them too. I also replaced the nut with a bone one and widened the spacing.

Good Points;-

A cheap fun guitar.

Nice neck.

LP Jnrs are a classic no frills axe

Bad Points

With the new tuners mine is a bit neck heavy.

The pots are not so good (I will replace them too someday)

Bolt on neck takes away from the LP Jnr vibe a bit.

Feels a bit fragile, (especially compared to my Teles)

EpiLPJnrmodded3.jpg

I'm looking for something to take into a bar to play on the remote chance that I ever do that again. I play old style Rock and Roll, like Chuck Berry stuff, but pretty fast and dirtier. I have a beautiful Tele and a Les Paul/SG 61 re-issue, and would not take either one out of the house. I have a put together stratocaster, but I need a Gibson neck to play fast enough with my old fingers.

Simple, cheap and gritty are good, light is good ,loud is good, too..... There are some on eBay right now for well under $100, and there are always a few for sale at Daddy's Junky Music in Boston -BKitten, You might look them up online and see if he ships to Oz, FWIW. www.daddys.com/

Thanks for the comments.

mark

I'm looking for something to take into a bar to play on the remote chance that I ever do that again. I play old style Rock and Roll' date=' like Chuck Berry stuff, but pretty fast and dirtier. I have a beautiful Tele and a Les Paul/SG 61 re-issue, and would not take either one out of the house. I have a put together stratocaster, but I need a Gibson neck to play fast enough with my old fingers.

Simple, cheap and gritty are good, light is good ,loud is good, too..... There are some on eBay right now for well under $100, and there are always a few for sale at Daddy's Junky Music in Boston -BKitten, You might look them up online and see if he ships to Oz, FWIW. www.daddys.com/

Thanks for the comments.

mark[/quote']

Thanks for the link! I don't like buying used but this guy does have some good prices... all these guitars cost three times those prices at least in Australia, even after exchange rate is factored in.

As for you, for your style of music go the Junior, not the Special. Junior has a set neck and grovers, Special doesn't have either. You can always change the pickup if you don't like the sound.

Thanks for the link! I don't like buying used but this guy does have some good prices... all these guitars cost three times those prices at least in Australia' date=' even after exchange rate is factored in.

As for you, for your style of music go the Junior, not the Special. [b'] Junior has a set neck[/b] and grovers, Special doesn't have either. You can always change the pickup if you don't like the sound.

Not all Juniors have a set neck, mine is a bolt on....................

If you can't find an Epi you might want to check out the DiPinto Belvedere Junior at http://www.dipintoguitars.com/product.php?id=22. It seems like a good spec for the money ($496.00 US / £312.00 UK plus shipping I expect). I emailed them as to whether these were available in England and they offered to send one to my nearest dealer as a sample for me to check out.

After years spent with my trusty Strat copy I really wanted to try the Les Paul/humbucker thing so I got myself a Special II (wine red with black hardware) to see if it would fit. I love that guitar - once set up properly it played really well, the pick-ups do produce a good enough sound (a bit harsher than a LP Standard but far from useless) I know a lot of people dislike the tuners but mine have never been a problem. It is quite a basic layout with only one volume and tone but to be honest 90% of what I do is bridge pick-up, volume 10 and tone 10. As an introduction to the Les Paul world you really can't go wrong.

Thanks again. Several decades ago, I used to own real Gibson Les Pauls, but I can not even imagine spending that kind of money for a guitar. I'm retired, and play mainly for my own enjoyment, although I still have the desire to play a gig every so often....at least in my head.

I would like to look over some of the Juniors to find a set neck.

Glad you liked the link to Daddy's - I bought my used Strat through them - they are very honest, very fast to ship and they set up the Strat and put new strings on it (my spec) free.

I recommend them very highly for used stuff, and they have a regular paper catalog of new stuff several times a year.

Thanks again.

mark

Guest icantbuyafender

Ive got a late 90's LP junior w/ humbucker. Its a beast. Its as heavy as a normal paul or more. It can take abuse, let me tell you....

its been struck by rogue beer bottles, and burned when i was drunk and burned a hole in the back control plate with a cigarette to use the control cavity as an ashtray at the bar after a gig. Its taken ugly falls and doesnt chip. Just a finish crack.

I loved it so much i totally transformed it by sanding off the body finish and using primer and vintage aged white gave it a new finish with a satin clear coat.

I sanded the neck finish off by hand and shaped it to my liking. Put new tuners, components, jack and seymour duncan design invade clone humbucker.

put a push -pull for coil tapping and a TBX for cutting either highs or lows.

Voila. I dubbed it the frankenpaul jr. Its really the only guitar i feel safe gigging with and even after sanding off the finish, shes still a hefty one, and still a tough one.

Its got the most sentimental value to me, really.

They do make a bolt on neck version WITH a P-90 that goes for $99. I have a vintage sunburst one, and its not as weighty as the frankenpaul. The p90 is good for being stock.

Tuners and nut will be among the first things to go if you get either one. Great modding platforms in my opinion....

Good luck finding the bolt on neck with a p90. I looked for a good while and could not find one. I could find the bolt ons with a humbucker but not a p90. I just stumbled across the epi custom shop I have now. Somebody 3 hours away e-mailed me about my craigslist add. I just got lucky. The guy had all the paperwork with it too. I wasn't looking for a set neck custom shop lp jr. because they cost about twice as much as the lp jr. with a bolt on neck. But man, this thing is great. If you can afford a set neck lp jr. get it. I swear this one is as good or better than a Gibby lp jr. This is the simplest of all my lp's and to me it feel like it is the nicest and best built one. It feels better than my goldtop and I love that thing.

Thanks for the link! I don't like buying used but this guy does have some good prices... all these guitars cost three times those prices at least in Australia' date=' even after exchange rate is factored in.

As for you, for your style of music go the Junior, not the Special. Junior has a set neck and grovers, Special doesn't have either. You can always change the pickup if you don't like the sound.[/quote']

Ditto, all I find out there for Juniors are bolt on necks. If you're finding set necks in Australia, send them this way!! I have yet to find a set neck junior for under $250.00. Still looking though!

Archived