Gibson Brands Forums

2009 Goldtops = Made in Korea! HNGD To Me.

BillyGibson

Actually I got it Monday. Glad I decided to get it. Everything is perfect on it. The pickups are legendary. :-k Seriously, they're totally different than a humbucker. They're a lot brighter. Tone and volume knobs work perfectly. The nut is good too. It's a lot thicker than the nut on my Dot. String height is great - right out of the box. Very low action.

The sticker on the back says, Made in Korea. I thought they were all made in China now. So I did some googling becasue it's search function works better than trying it here. I found a thread from Steven Lister that shows: (only part is copied below) Hope you don't mind.8-[

FACTORY NUMBER CODES -- for some models starting in 2008, if serial begins w/numbers

[NOTE: The factories identified by these codes are based on patterns which forum members have observed. The numbers appear as the 5th and sixth digits in the serial number.]

15 = Qingdao (China) -- electric

16 = Qingdao (China) -- acoustic

20 or 12 = DeaWon or Unsung (China -- uncertainty about which number corresponds to which factory)

21= Unsung, Korea

22= ??? Korea (unconfirmed - factory unknown)

23= ??? Indonesia (unconfirmed - factory unknown)

I = Indonesia (this letter has appeared as the 5th digit on two authentic new models made in Indonesia)

Sure enough. Mines starts off with: 090421XXXX 21 = Unsung, Korea

They need to advertise they these really aren't "discontinued". They keep making them and orderign more when they sell out. this has been going on over a year now. I know, because I've watched them and finally decided to get one. A new one that is. I actually bought a used one in this time and sold it because I didn't bond with it. It was an '04. For some reason it never felt right. This '09 is a keeper.

Congratulations, Bill. Those '56 GT are very nice guitars. I had one for several years, also MIK. I'm surprised they are still making the 09's in Korea, unless these are some that were made a few years ago and are just being released now. I really like the pickups in those guitars; they are what made me a fan of the p-90.

Enjoy

Unsung Korea still makes guitars like the Firebird, Explorer, 1275, Zakk Wylde LP's, and some of the nicer 'custom shop' models. Even the Gold Top....so yes Unsung Korea still has their hand in the Epiphone line.

But their China factory is quickly catching up in their quality.

I just got mine and it is from korea,it is so nice. I had the lp studio limited edition and it had bad strings, terrible set up and a bad fret .so i sent it back and got the 56 , and it is so much nicer than the studio ,which was made in china. I got mine at MF. Oh ya this gold top has some wieght to it and I love it!!

Congrats on your exellent score !!!

I'm a touch jealous, mine is Chinese, and although it SOUNDS great(I believe the description everyones looking for on these p-90's is.......RAW ) the fretboard LOOKS terrible, blonde streaks all over it that are dye resistant for some unknown reason.

It also needed an extensive/intensive setup and the neck was so bowed, it took 2 adjustments (3 days apart for settling) to get it right.

The input jack sux dirt too and is fixing to be replaced.

Worst of all, it's NOT counterfeit, I got it from GC online.

But, like I said, it sounds great, and now plays great too.........

Again, Congrats, wish mine were Korean......

Here 'tis

GarysCam096.jpg

Bill' date=' where did you buy the Goldtop?

I am looking, but the reason I have not purchased is I really do not want to support the china models.

Mark

[/quote']

Mark, I ordered from Guitar Center. I went to the store and they ordered it for me. I had a 15% off coupon from their September promotions that was good in store only. So I called over there and talked to my sales person and asked if he could order it and still give me the discount. He checked and called me back and said, yes. So a Goldtop + Free Case = $425.:D/

I know the September special is over, but I think I am going to try. Even at $499, that is a great price for a Korean LP with case.

Were you able to have them check the serial number?

I would rather be sure it was from Korea than take the chance of getting one from China.

Thanks.

I took a chance. I had heard they were Korean and that's what pushed me to finally get it. I'd be willing to bet all the '09's are Korean made. MF last month had a call in special if you mentioned the word "mop" Even though it was for the Beatles promotiohn, they were discounting everything 10% to 15%. The GT's were 15% off. I called to verify. But decided to go thru Guitar Center. I like going there and don't get to get out that way very often. Sicne we're in October, check their websites and/or call to see what they'll do. Good luck.

Congrats! I just got mine on Wednesday and it was manufactured in Unsung, Korea. I knew there was a reason why I wanted P-90s; I LOVE the brighter, thinner sound as compared to the humbuckers on my Studio. The weight of it suprised me ... it was lighter than my Studio model and the neck is much thinner than I expected. The treble pickup sounds great however the rhythm pickup sounds a little thick but maybe I'm just used to the humbucker sound. Like you said Bill, I got mine from Guitar Center and got the case and shipping for free for $499. I was suprised I ordered it on a Saturday and got it 4 days later!

If I'm seeing things right thats an EE serial number ...

meaning that would be Qingdao China.

But don't worry...it came from the Gibson Owned plant devoted only to making Epi's' date=' so you're safe.[/quote']

You are right, I had a brain fart. Don't know what I was thinking. Thanks for correcting me.

'56 Goldtops are great guitars. The P90's are a nice complement to a humbucker for a change in sound that is similar to the clean sounds of a Strat. Here's mine.

http://webP7240144.jpg

Dave, that's a NICE looking "Goldtop!" Nice dark fingerboard, too. P-90's are great, but especially if

it's just you, the guitar and amp. No pedals. Everytime I use a pedal, I get an awful hiss or 60 cycle

hum, intensified. Drives me bloody nuts! So, I leave the pedals, for the Humbuckers! P-90's at the

amp's "Sweet Spot," don't need pedals, anyway. ;>)

CB

I guess you had better go get one CB. Stop wasting time. Have you gotten it yet? Go on now. Go get it.

LOL...yeah' date=' yeah, yeah...I know. What I [i']really[/i] wanted, was a Gibson Goldtop "Deluxe," when MF had them. I kick myself,

now, for not just buying one. But, who knows...maybe they'll offer them again, for a "limited" run, or time? The Epi's though,

are sure looking better, here, all the time.

CB

I have posted this several times before but it seems appropriate to mention it again. The stock P-90 pickups in the Korean Epi '56 Gold Top are supplied by "Rainbow Pickups", which are manufactured in Asia for Kent Armstrong. They sound terrific and have a real "growl" to them. I replaced the P-90's in my GT with DiMarzio "Virtual P-90's" for the sole reason that the single coil Rainbow's pick up too much electrical interference in the venue I play in. If the noise wasn't such a problem, I certainly would have kept them!=D> I do not know who supplies the P-90's for the EE '56 Gold Tops.

Archived