Gibson Brands Forums

EJ 300

I've had one for going on 4 years and it's a beautiful guitar (see pic). Mine is an EJ300SCE and she's a big girl but shapely.

I have heard comments about lack of volume but that is not a problem on mine...she booms. Yes the top is thick because it's solid and I believe that the tone has improved and mellowed even in the short time I have had her. Not sure why they dropped them but glad I got mine before they did. The "shadow" pre amp is great too if you want to plug it in. Not a cheap guitar @ $890 AUD plus case but it is a keeper. Did I mention how gorgeous the book matched rosewood on the back is? Thought I may as well add a pic of the back...sorry about the reflection.

Dig

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_5307.jpg

Thats just like mine its the thickest top on any of my solid top guitars' date='It sound good and looks good but volume is about 2/3s of my other guitars[/quote']

Does your guitar have low action across the 12th fret? IF it does, then this could cause the low volume. A jumbo should have a thicker top than a dreadnaught just because the structure of the guitar needs it.

I am glad to see that they did have a cutaway.....hope to find one someday when I have some money to spend!

Jeff

Yes, thin tops in general will resonate more, so they would be louder in most cases (solid tops, of course). A jumbo guitar like the EJ series will need more structure for the top because of its size. And remember these are 'lower price' guitars, so will not have premium woods and construction technique, and will be built to be more durable.

How is your string height across the 12th fret? IF it is low, then you can raise your volume a bit with higher action. you can always lower it at the nut if it is too high all the way along the neck afterwards. Over time, your top should 'open up' and maybe gain some volume. I have heard of people 'loosening' their tops by allowing them to be acoustically excited (using and amp and a tone generator) for some number of hours. I've never tired it myself, though....seems an interesting idea...

But I have a Simon and Patrick with a thick, solid top, and it is a very loud guitar...but it is about 12 years old...and well played.

Jeff

Archived