Gibson Brands Forums

HOW MUCH IS MY LES PAUL WORTH? and were was it made

god o smore

hello, im new to this :-k and i would like to know if i got a good deal on a epiphone les paul standard i just bought. and were it was made. the serial number is 1961278 it is a 1996 model. 1 sticker on back says lp standard. another says "HS" and another says "CE". can anyone help me?

p.s. i bought it for 200. its sunburst color with chrome hardware. it is in PERFECT condition. not a single dent or scratch or paint lost. thanks in advance for your help peepz :D/ :D/ :D/

edit: here is link to pictures

http://img36.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img0524p.jpg

I've been watching ebay for weeks for Juniors (lost over half a dozen auctions but still trying). The standards, unless there someething special or Custom, have been selling around $300 - $400. Take a look, and select a few that will be ending soon and watch them. Don't go by the Buy It Now price, go by what it sells for. That should give you a basic idea. Of course, your guitar, unless it matches exactly, may sell higher/lower.

An Epi Black Beauty with 3 pick ups sold for $418.00; a Silverburst for $265.00. Neither had anything wrong with them (I was actually going for the Silverburst but lack of funds stopped me at $240.00).

Question to ask yourself, did you buy the guitar as an investment to be sold, or because you love it. If the later, who gives a crap what it's worth to someone else!?

She's very pretty, enjoy her!

oh no i definatly baught her to enjoy and play for for the years to come. and i dont plan on selling her at all. i just want to know if i got a good deal' date=' or if i was ripped off. i got her off craigslist so i wasnt sure.[/quote']

$200 for an Epi, she works fine and you enjoy her? Sounds like a solid good deal!

yea but i still wanna know how much these bad boys go for. but im definatly happy with it. i used to have a epiphone special. it wasnt the greatest piece of work but i delt with it. this is a big step up for me when i first saw this baby i was like man i gotta get that. plays soooooo much better then my old crapy special. i sold my special for 150 (lol brand new its 160) XD special also has buzz problems and nicks and scratchs lol

yea but i still wanna know how much these bad boys go for. but im definatly happy with it. i used to have a epiphone special. it wasnt the greatest piece of work but i delt with it. this is a big step up for me when i first saw this baby i was like man i gotta get that. plays soooooo much better then my old crapy special. i sold my special for 150 (lol brand new its 160) XD special also has buzz problems and nicks and scratchs lol
A BRAND NEW Epi LP Standard is just a little over $800, so a used one (even if has NEVER been played) will still go for much less (around $200-$400). The thing that sucks about Epis though is that unlike Gibsons, they DON'T appreciate in value, so if you do deciced to sell it, you won't be getting close to what you paid for it, and the longer you have it the less it will be worth (money wise).

its ok if it dosent go up in price. i plan on playing this guitar and passing it on to someone else. (possibly child/friend/nephew) and if i get gibson pickups im sure i can get some real tone out of this. the weight and body style is the same, so i dont see why i couldnt get a good tone out of this.

A BRAND NEW Epi LP Standard is just a little over $800' date=' so a used one (even if has NEVER been played) will still go for much less (around $200-$400). The thing that sucks about Epis though is that unlike Gibsons, they DON'T appreciate in value, so if you do deciced to sell it, you won't be getting close to what you paid for it, and the longer you have it the less it will be worth (money wise).

[/quote']

An Epiphone Les Paul Standard isn't over $800... it's between $430 and $550, depending on finish and what sort of top it has. For $800 you could get a Les Paul Custom Black Beauty.

An Epiphone Les Paul Standard isn't over $800... it's between $430 and $550' date=' depending on finish and what sort of top it has. For $800 you could get a Les Paul Custom Black Beauty.[/quote']Those are the "SALE" prices, the MSRP for an LP Standard is $841-915 (and that's just for the plain-top!), and the BB (or Custom) is $1,332. I know this isn't what they actually sell for (I only paid $499 for my '02 Standard w/case). The reason I used the MSRP is, you'd be suprized about the number of people I've seen that try to sell the "brand new" guitars at those prices.

I don't know why Epi set the price so high to begin with though, I wouldn't spend that much for a guitar, unless it was a Gibson, and even then I'd still be reluctant.

The Guitar Dater Project will tell you where and when, but not how much anyone paid for it. It simply de-codes the serial number, it's not a registry of actual instruments.

Interestingly enough, it doesn't like yours. The first number is actually the letter I, but it's telling me that it was built in 2009 at an unknown factory, because of more recent dating methods.

Guest icantbuyafender
isnt there somewere i could look up my serial number and see were it was made/how much the first owner payed for it or somthing? thanks for all the replys

I don't really see why you even care how much its worth. you see, only if it has its tags and hasn't been bought is it considered new. immediately the value drops around 40-50%. so, a new one off of musiciansfriend.com goes for $549 and are commonly fairly resold for about $300. its an epiphone, not a US made gibson... so don't count on it gaining ANY value.

Hey God,

I see you watching this post and I'm still not sure what it is you are looking for. Originally you asked what is was worth and where made. Those have been answered. As far as what the original owner paid for it, well - did any here buy one in '96 and do you remember what you paid? God, you could probably do a bit of research to see what the MSRP was at the time, but it never sold for that.

As far as the stickers go, well that CE sticker shows up on all sorts of things, so I'm thinking it has something to do with Customs and Excise?? Feel free to correct me as I truly do not know for sure. The other sticker with the HS - absolutley no clue.

To reitterate: The guitar is worth what someone would pay for it: you paid $200.00, would you have paid more? It was made in Asia.

And no matter how much you love it, the LP was made, not born, there is no birth certificate nor birth parents to hunt down.

But you can still name her!!