Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson P-94 Pickups

Teobeck

I just wanted to report that I replaced '57 Classic pups in my Epi Sheraton with P-94's. I wanted BB King sound on 1951 hit 3 O'Clock blues, and some other old stuff (T-Bone Walker, older Jazz stuff, etc.). I had read where some thought P-94 pups were too powerful, but I think output is similar to "57's. Bridge pup has stronger, thicker signal than my CP Jazzmaster, and is beautiful through my Fender BF amp. I also use Boss/Fender FBM-1 Bassman pedal to add a little hair to BF circuit at times, and it is great with P-94s. I'm glad I stuck with Gibson, as there is a lot of competition out there. I got them on Ebay for $80 each new.

Thanks for posting Teobeck. I'm interested to hear your impressions as I swapped out the stock pups in my Sheraton for GFS Dream 90's for similar tone reasons. I like them through my modded Valve Junior but have never compared them with a more expensive similar pup, e.g. the Gibby p94 or Seymour Duncan Phat Cat. Did you go straight for the p94s or consider the SD's?

I liked the Stephens Design P-90 sound clips, but saw the wait time and price so I opted for Gibson as I'm lifetime Gibson/Epi player, 49 years. I know Duncans are usually good also, but I had some Duncan Designed HB's recently that were really bad, and replaced them with Stewmac Golden Age, which weren't half bad, but not '57 Classics, my favotite HB pup for blues/jazz. I thought Gibson has never made a pup I didn't like, so I snagged P-94's on Ebay for $80 apiece, and am pleased. If I could only have one guitar, it would be my ES-339, but I will never let my Epi Sheraton II go either, so why not have two different sounds in 2 guitars? The P-94's are a great change of pace, sound like a HB on neck, really nice blend on both pups, and great new strong attack on bridge, but mellower than single coil, not brittle or sharp, clean and solid. It's a welcome change, unique sound for a HB player.

I like them too.

epilespaulstplainto32.jpg

Justadennis' date=' Is that a "Special Edition" Les Paul Standard you have there? I ask only because I've never seen

an Epiphone LP Standard Plain-Top in that color before. What color is it? A Honeyburst (HB) or Iced-Tea? Let me

know. That is one beautiful looking LP you've got there. default_eusa_wall.gif I see you have the P-90(?) in the bridge pickup position.

Must sound "hot". BTW, what year is your LP?

Justadennis' date=' Is that a "Special Edition" Les Paul Standard you have there? I ask only because I've never seen

an Epiphone LP Standard Plain-Top in that color before. What color is it? A Honeyburst (HB) or Iced-Tea? Let me

know. That is one beautiful looking LP you've got there. #-o I see you have the P-90(?) in the bridge pickup position.

Must sound "hot". BTW, what year is your LP?[/quote']

Hi, paulp..!, It's Epiphone LP Standard Plain-Top Honeyburst charged with SD Seth Lover neck and Gibson P-94 bridge. She's made in 2008.

Hi' date=' paulp..!, It's Epiphone LP Standard Plain-Top Honeyburst charged with SD Seth Lover neck and Gibson P-94 bridge. She's made in 2008.[/quote']

Justadennis. Hi! Thanks for replying to my note. Yeh, I was looking for a Honeyburst (HB) when I was buying mine, but the one they had was flawed. I wound up getting the Vintage Sunburst (VS), because of all the LP Plain-Tops

I tried, that's the one that spoke to me. I was thinking of replacing my stock pickups with some Gibson Burstbuckers

that my repairman had, used, but now he's moved and a brand new set of these pickups is $$$. :D I guess I'll wait for another opportunity because I don't have the cash to lay out yet. Maybe once my new band starts gigging again I'll have some extra cash to afford it. 'til then I'm happy with the stock pickups thusfar.

to Bill67:

I have a Fender Classic Player JM. amd its pups are hotter than vintage JM, closer to P-90's. The vintage JM's also have a unique bridge, and quite a distance

from the bridge to tail. They were more "surf" guitars, and don't have a lot of sustain, but I guess they could be called "tawngy", but a different twang that a Telecaster.

My CP JM has a tunomatic bridge, hotter pups, rosewood fretboard, and 9.5 radius as opposed to 7.5 on the vintage JM. Fenders also have a 25.5" scale as opposed

to 24.75 on Gibson/Epi, and that scale adds some "snap" to Fenders. They are also well balanced. I prefer Gibson/Epi as a Chicago blues player, but the Fender is

sometimes a nice change of pace.

Archived