Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup Identifications

wedgeSG

Here's the deal, I bought this pickup off EBAY listed to be a 490R. Never really thought much about it as I just put it away after peeking at it since I was collecting parts for a build at the time and had already accquired a 498T for the bridge aspect. Saturday, me and my buddy decided to throw 'em in my beater just for kicks; and then I really started to think that what I'd bought might not be what I was holding. The 498T was new in the box so that was fine; and it checked out to Gibson posted specs so no problems there. Chrome cover and meter reading of 14.3 ohms. Four conductor wiring. The 490R, (supposed), bought used but like new- runs down like this: Chrome

Cover, meter reading of 14.1, Vintage style metal braid covered wiring, (and pretty short tooo), the back of the pickup has the Gibson logo centered in the baseplate and above it centered very near the edge of the plate is a small capital T. Checking this against my 498T, is shows the same capital T inscription and Gibson logo. Does anybody have any idea what this mystery Gibby pup is based on the info provided? I thought maybe a Burstbucker Pro since it does appear do be potted but can't say that for certain. I checked the output of a BBIII i have and it came in just under 13 so I'm stumped. The magnets seem stronger than the 498T's as well... any thoughts?

Wedgie

Here's the deal' date=' I bought this pickup off EBAY listed to be a 490R. Never really thought much about it as I just put it away after peeking at it since I was collecting parts for a build at the time and had already accquired a 498T for the bridge aspect. Saturday, me and my buddy decided to throw 'em in my beater just for kicks; and then I really started to think that what I'd bought might not be what I was holding. The 498T was new in the box so that was fine; and it checked out to Gibson posted specs so no problems there. Chrome cover and meter reading of 14.3 ohms. Four conductor wiring. The 490R, (supposed), bought used but like new- runs down like this: Chrome

Cover, meter reading of 14.1, Vintage style metal braid covered wiring, (and pretty short tooo), the back of the pickup has the Gibson logo centered in the baseplate and above it centered very near the edge of the plate is a small capital T. Checking this against my 498T, is shows the same capital T inscription and Gibson logo. Does anybody have any idea what this mystery Gibby pup is based on the info provided? I thought maybe a Burstbucker Pro since it does appear do be potted but can't say that for certain. I checked the output of a BBIII i have and it came in just under 13 so I'm stumped. The magnets seem stronger than the 498T's as well... any thoughts?

Wedgie[/quote']

Is the wire colored any different?

Black for bridge and red for neck, yellow for mid.... stuff like that.

Sounds to me like you have 2 of the same thing by what you've described. The neck pickup should be around 9k shouldn't it?

The wiring on the new 498T is as described on the factory diagram. Four conductor (red white black green) . The supposed 490R is vintage style two conductor (inner wire and outer braid/shield). Further poking about on Gibson site yielded the info that "Factory Installed" 498T, 490R, and 490T's have vintage style two conductor wiring, while the boxed sold versions have four conductor. That said, it is probably a 498T removed from a LP or SG considering it's within .2 of a known 498T. Yeah it's hot for a neck but I'm gonna try it anyway, might have to try to dial it into usefulness with a cap, pot, etc. Does anybody have any value suggestions for this to more effectively balance the combination for a workable end result? I'm starting with .022's on both since that seems to be the norm: but I know a lotta times RS uses a .012 - .015 in the neck position, and sometimes adding a treble-tamer circuit as well. I like bright and I'm mostly a bridge user anyway; not to mention it's already here. So I'm hoping to find a way to make it work if possible. I'm hoping some gurus can offer some information as whether to proceed or just start over... thanks for all imput thus far !!!

Wedgie

Could be a '57 ClassicPlus, or another 498T ...but they generally don't measure above 14K.

Since it appears stronger than a 498 my money is on the 500T. Easy distinguisable by the black(very dark grey) ceramic magnet.

Btw. none of the BBs (are supposed to) measure above 9K. And "it checked out to Gibson posted specs"? Where did you find those? AFAIK Gibson only posts relative output charts.

The new 489T in the box was the specification I was refering to. The compairsons of output came from the bar graph on the Gibson pickup guide chart. It's found under accessories>pickups>downloads. The graph only goes to 10 and serves only as a basis to consider output relative to other Gibson pups. Yes, I'd agree with BB's running under 9K. Rechecked my BBIII and BBII with a meter they are 8.44 and 8.12, don't know how I got 12 something. Sorry, stupid mistake on my part. According to a Gibson techie I spoke with actual output on an Angus is about 10.25 or so. The pups all have covers - so without removal there's no way to check the magnets other than color is there... don't really want to start popping off covers. I feel the thing is most likely a yanked 498T. Does the enscribed "T" on the baseplate actually denote a treble pickup... or is this just a weird occurance? Being a bridge pickup; will pole spacing be off enough to be a problem? Do I need 250 pots on both the volume and tone of the neck circuit? I've never faced a problem like this before, so tailoring to a bad situation is kinda new to me. Had the thing for so long i wouldn't even know where to start to contact the seller. If I can just get it livable for a while I'll go back and make this correct - but I'm too close to finished and too broke to start over right now. Small parts and adjustments are about the extent of possibilities at the moment unfortunately. Thanks for all the help thus far.........

Wedgie

I'd use a 250k vol pot and usual 500k tone pot with 22 cap. After that, if it's a bit too loud to balance with the bridge pup, I'd try lowering it a bit.

I didn't realise Burstbuckers were as low output as that. Explains why I've been disappointed with them in the bridge position. I like a bit more bite than that.

According to a Gibson techie I spoke with actual output on an Angus is about 10.25 or so. The pups all have covers - so without removal there's no way to check the magnets other than color is there... don't really want to start popping off covers. I feel the thing is most likely a yanked 498T. Does the enscribed "T" on the baseplate actually denote a treble pickup... or is this just a weird occurance? Being a bridge pickup; will pole spacing be off enough to be a problem?

Do I need 250 pots on both the volume and tone of the neck circuit? I've never faced a problem like this before' date=' so tailoring to a bad situation is kinda new to me. Had the thing for so long i wouldn't even know where to start to contact the seller. If I can just get it livable for a while I'll go back and make this correct - but I'm too close to finished and too broke to start over right now. Small parts and adjustments are about the extent of possibilities at the moment unfortunately. Thanks for all the help thus far.........

Wedgie[/quote']

According to my little notebook the AY measures 13.5.

You can check the magnetic pull (alltho not entirely foolproof) by popping them onto your fridge. First flatten the polepieces and remove or flatten the 2 heightscrews. Now pop them on your fridge. The 490 should just about stick (carefull!), the 498 should have a nice pull. A 500 ceramic should really stick.

The "T" is just a tool-mark. Both R&T HBs should have it.

Being a bridge PU it should have the wider spacing. Neck-PU-spacing is 49,2 or 50mm, Bridge-PU-spacing 52mm, outer pole to pole-center.

Problem? Never tried it myself, I'd say slightly concerning. A neck PU in the bridge would work since you're pushing/bending the strings into the magnetic field, but obviously the reverse does not apply.

Any hot HB like a 498 combined with a 250K pot will suffer serious loss of treble. Stick to 500K for volume. You can experiment with tonepot values, alltho I'm inclined to recommend 500K as well.

my p490's which are kinda the old version have around 7/ 8k. unpolished silver (alnico 2) magnets. a pat number. and because they were wired in 2 conductor wiring. the other sale versions have 4 conductor. short length of braid mixed with 14k spec here makes me think it's a bridge pickup, a 490t... but not at 14k! what colour is the baseplate?

Archived