Gibson Brands Forums

There's a lesson to be learned here...

matiac

NEVER use the internal mic for video recording. For your' date=' um...pleasure. Any suggestions to improve audio would be apprecitated for future use...

[YOUTUBE']

[/YOUTUBE]

Hmm...

VERY NICE!!=D> =D> =D>

brianh may be able to help answer the tech question re: audio recording - I believe the Boston to Philly boy is an AV guy.

And did you not post elsewhere that you needed to get out to an open mic night in RI? I think you need to get out and find yourself a band!! Wonderful work such as that should not be just for living room audiences - GET OUT THERE AND SHARE YOUR GIFT!

Matt ... are you talking about the internal mic on the camera or computer webcam itself?

AS good as your clip sounded, that's probably the worst mic you could use for recording music! Do you have some sort of USB or Firewire interface that you use on your other music recordings? I assume you do since your recorded stuff sounds quite good.

Try this ... see if your computer's video recording software has the ability to accept an alternate audio source. It would be located under the options pull-down menue. That way you would be using the camera for video, but the audio feed would be coming in the same way you do your audio recordings ... a BIG improvement!

I hope this made some sense ... I'm rushing this 'cause I've gotta get ready to head down to the strip! I'll check back this evening to see if you've read this!

Great playing, sir!

Jim

Internal mic on what device?

It's an HP Mini 1010NR, it (the video recording program) uses the internal by default, I'm not sure if there's a provision in the options suite for an external mic, I'm thinking I can MAYBE mic the amps, either that, or perhaps recording the audio through "Audacity" if I can run an external mic, because to me, after listening to it, my normally FAT sounding guitar sounds like a Strat...not that I got anything against Strats, but it's a Les Paul, and I'm pretty sure it's the internal mic causing it. And no, I don't use an interface...never have. I record directly to the computer's soundcard as such:

Guitar to a Zoom 505II, into a Zoom MRS8, right into the mic input on the computer.

But thanks! I personally had serious doubts about even uploading the video, and what's weird is it don't sound too bad with headphones, just the guitar sounds like a Strat, hence the video title. As far as bands, or more specifically being in one, everyone and their dog around here does some kind of metal, and it just ain't my cup 'o tea, not very good at headbanging after my neck surgery, I'd LOVE to get a Blues trio going, who knows? Maybe I should advertise myself at techie's shop...hmm...

Guest icantbuyafender

That really had an excellent hook.

Man id have bet on the guitar having filtertron type pickups. Id get a USB mic made for recording. Maybe fiddle with the sound EQ.

Do you write your licks down with sheet music too, or a music writing computer program?

oh yeah and deffinitely use an mp3 drum track. That drum machine is quite piercing.

I don't write anything down, I just do what sounds good to my ear(s), and if I play a song I've already done...like "Fleabag", the guitar parts are never the same. 99.9% of what I do is improvisation, little if any "gameplan". "Dead Of Night" is one of maybe 10 songs I've recorded, I've gone into with any kind of plan for the song, the rest I just did...and every one of them was 1 take, I post 'em screw-ups and all.

I'm not actually hearing Stratocaster. That could be because:

1) The speakers on my computer suck.

or

2) My ears are as sensitive as lead.

BUT:

Your playing is fantastic, and I'm not just saying that to be nice.

The sound I'm hearing is more Joe Walsh. Very, very cool. Get a band together and follow Uncle Zappa's advice...

Wow, Joe Walsh? The funny thing about all this recording stuff is the fact that a lot of people hear a lot of different "undertones" that I'm not intentionally trying to do, I'm just doing what sounds good to me...I guess maybe Joe Walsh (who I DO admire) was in my subconscious at the time? Kinda weird how that works, but as for forming a band? There ain't a soul in this area who wants to do freestyle on a Southern Funk bent. Everyone and their dog around here wants to do metal or Prog-Rock, neither of which I care for. That and the fact a lot of established bands see an Epiphone, and immediately think "rank amateur"...I been playing guitar for 40 years, and not to toot my own horn here, but half of these egotistical bastids around R.I. looking for musicians, I can play circles around in my view. But I'd LOVE to form a group, and get out there, cuz people DO dig jam bands around here, and the established bands around here either don't realise that, or their too set in their particular genre to do anything else. As a result, I'm doing the solo thing, or maybe going to open mics 'til something starts happening...but thanks for the kudos Scratch, statements like that inspire me to bigger heights in my music making, and now video making, although I'll admit I got work to do in the latter department.

Hey man, that sounded great! Well, not neccessarily "quality-wise", but your playing is great as usual.

I'll have to agree that the internal mic on pretty much anything is garbage. But, how close was your amp? You may need to back off a little if you are too close...or just mic it like suggested above. I dont know. I'm still trying to make my fingers do what I want. I really shouldnt be trying to give recording advice.

I just came here to say this:

Yes! Put a blues/jam trio together! I have a feeling that the Blue Bomber wants to see some action.

Don't I know it' date=' that's how the few clips that I posted were done. Sounds awful[/quote']

Yeah, I think it could sound worlds better than that. I did a test run before with just the guitar, and it sounded pretty good, 'course that was the only sound the mic was picking up, so I'm thinking it's not really dynamic enough (?) to do multiple sounds. There IS a provision in the video sofware for what it's calling a "jack mic", so I probably can do audio feed through that, and just plug the guitar into the MRS8, it's got 2 inputs, and do it that way. I'm gonna try another one...maybe "Fleabag" live in the living room.

Archived