Gibson Brands Forums

Here's a grin..."A Pic, from the Past!

charlie brown

My, How Time Flies!!!

"Then"

CharlieBrown19Summer1969withMarshal.jpg

A friend of mine, sent me this recently. It's from a polaroid, that he shot (of me), the "Summer of 1969"...

standing in front of my Marshall "Major" full stack, holding my '68 Gibson LP Custom,

and off to the side, is my 68 (Jetglow) Rickenbacker 360-12 string. I was all of 19, at the time.

It's hard to believe I was that thin, and had that much hair! LOL!

Man, would I LOVE to have all that "gear" back, again!!! ;>)

"Now"

CBwtihGibsonLesPaulSpecialatCarl-1.jpg

Taken on my cousin's deck, in Colorado...July, 2009 CB with "Faded" Gibson LP Double Cutaway "TV-Yellow."

CB

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My' date=' how time flies!!!........I was all of 19, at the time.

CB[/quote'] Man .... I can relate.... nice gear for a 19 year old, sir. I can relate to the hair and weight point very well ..... I was up in PA a few weeks back for my dad's 90th birthday - my sister-in-law had dragged out a bunch of old photos they had "inherited" from dad when he downsized to his retirement place, and, needless to say, my kids could not believe that any of the teenage/20-something photos with me in them were actually me...... I was heavy into "LSD" (Long Slow Distance running, that is) at the time, so I was, ummmm, way tinier than I am now...heh .... and my hair wasn't silver....and was loooooong....LOL. ahhh, the good old days, in many respects.

So, sounds as though you were born around the time of my brother..... ya old hippies :D

If only we could go back in time with the knowledge we've gained since then.

Yeah, man..."ain't it the truth?!" For one thing, I would never have sold all that stuff (and other's as well) IF I had known

then, what I know now. Plus, I'm sure I would use it, to better advantage, now...too. But...that's life!

CB

Good Grief Charlie Brown!.......are you SURE we're not related? (Ritchey family, Phillips county Ks. early 1900's)

Heres me at about the same age........

safeworker.jpg

and a grin from MY past........was my car at that age..........

Mybadd57.jpg

Like you said.........My how time flys..........

Good Grief Charlie Brown!.......are you SURE we're not related? (Ritchey family' date=' Phillips county Ks. early 1900's)

Heres me at about the same age........

[img'][/img]safeworker.jpg

and a grin from MY past........was my car at that age..........

Mybadd57.jpg

Like you said.........My how time flys..........

LOL...who/what were you butting heads with, dude?!

CB

Yeah' date=' man..."ain't it the truth?!" For one thing, I would never have sold all that stuff (and other's as well) IF I had known

then, what I know now. Plus, I'm sure I would use it, to better advantage, now...too. But...that's life!

CB[/quote']

Couldn't agree more. I'm about a decade behind you, but I get especially wistful sometimes when I consider all the gear I've let come and go in that time. The hair I don't miss nearly as much as some of the instruments I once had.

Great photo Charlie! You look like the lead guitarist in some west-coast band of the late '60s (but I'm guessing that's what you were' date=' after all, so it's hardly inappropriate...)

Was that Marshall stack quite loud, by any chance?[/quote']

It was the sweetest sounding Marshall, I ever owned/heard. BUT...it's "sweet spot," was so loud, that

it was totally out of place, in almost every venue (save a precious few), that I ever played. So, I ended

up using my Twin Reverb, most of the time. But, man...that "Major" was SWEET! Used it, on one outdoor

gig, at a fair grounds, and friends of mine heard it 10+ miles away...with a little help from the light wind directiion.

I know this, because one of them came up to me, the next day, told me about it, and named every song we played,

in the exact order we played them. (We never had a set order, back then...so I knew she was telling the truth) LOL!

CB

Hee hee ... no "Dorian Gray" portraits here either! Ahhh the ravages of time ...

Mid-1970's Jim in the studio:

scan0002.jpg

Current Jim:

Img_0020.jpg

I've done the "Live Fast" part ... but the "Die young and leave a good lookin' corpse" days are long gone!

Jim

Yeah, Crazy Loud, is right! When I went to see Deep Purple, Richie Blackmore was using 2 Majors...all run "Flat out!" It was amazingly LOUD,

in fact, I think it's still the loudest concert I've ever attended...that close anyway. I was right at his feet, at the stage!

(You could DO that, in those days!...LOL!)

CB

Yeah' date=' Crazy Loud, is right! When I went to see Deep Purple, Richie Blackmore was using 2 Majors...all run "Flat out!" It was amazingly LOUD,

in fact, I think it's still the loudest concert I've ever attended...that close anyway. I was right at his feet, at the stage!

(You could DO that, in those days!...LOL!)

CB[/quote']

I don't mean this to be rude, but did you escape all this without hearing damage? If so, you're a lucky man! I certainly hurt my hearing from many gigs playing through a Laney VC50 in a basement bar, when I was a student in England. And that combo was nowhere in the decibel vicinity of your stack! These days I am much more careful...

LOL...who/what were you butting heads with' date=' dude?!

CB

[/quote']

A beautiful "Swan-Dive" into a shallowish creek,(our local "swimmin' hole") from a bridge rail 20' off the water.........literally busted my eyeball open. (yes, alcohol AND drugs were involved, as always)

the shirt was on purpose.

Well, amazingly enough, "Lord"...standing right in front (my back towards the front of the Marshall)...or, off to the side,

the volume didn't seem nearly as loud, as out front, at the sound "Cone's" loudest point. I'm sure I have "some"

damage...but, amazingly, not much...so far, at least. I too, am more careful these days, especially in the "audience,"

where it's loudest. I often, wear ear plugs, if needed. Also, I didn't play after that, for 30 years, or more. And a

lot of hearing loss, is due to repeated, long term exposure, more than short term...as I understand it. We didn't

play "night after night," for hours! There just wasn't the demand for bands, or the venues, to support them, here...

back then...or even now, for that matter. So, that may be one reason, I survived it, hearing wise? Not sure...

CB

A beautiful "Swan-Dive" into a shallowish creek' date='(our local "swimmin' hole") from a bridge rail 20' off the water.........literally busted my eyeball open. (yes, alcohol AND drugs were involved, as always)

the shirt was on purpose.

[/quote']

Woah...that sounds painful, from just your description! Amazing!!

CB

My' date=' how time flies!!!

[img']http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq333/charliebrown1949/CharlieBrown19Summer1969withMarshal.jpg[/img]

A friend of mine, sent me this recently. It's from a polaroid, that he shot (of me), the "Summer of 1969"...

standing in front of my Marshall "Major" full stack, holding my '68 Gibson LP Custom,

and off to the side, is my 68 (Jetglow) Rickenbacker 360-12 string. I was all of 19, at the time.

CB

I just noticed that you stationed your pinky on the pickguard just like I did in 1968. I thought I was the only one who relied on that anchor.

Archived