Gibson Brands Forums

The Inspired By 64 Texan

cookieman15061

Well I ordered one of these babies last week. Musicians Friend had it at $449 and got 15% discount cause it was beatle related. It brought the cost down to $380 and too hard to pass up. I haven't really had time to put her through the paces yet though I did plug it into my vox amp and she has a nice full crisp tone. Beautiful guitar and workman ship is spot on. She'll need a little tweaking of course plus new strings and a little nut lube but seems to stay in tune good and proper. I'll keep ya posted.

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

I'm very tempted to order it now... I've been searching eBay, hoping to come up with a McCartney or Elitist model within my price range... they aren't terribly common, I'm finding.

Have you played a Masterbilt AJ-500M to compare it to, sound-wise? Quality-wise, does it hold up to any of the Masterbilt models?

[EDIT] I'll just go all-out

http://cgi.ebay.com/1968-EPIPHONE-Texan-Special-Order-guitar_W0QQitemZ370223298796QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item56330738ec

I'm very tempted to order it now... I've been searching eBay' date=' hoping to come up with a McCartney or Elitist model within my price range... they aren't terribly common, I'm finding.

Have you played a Masterbilt AJ-500M to compare it to, sound-wise? Quality-wise, does it hold up to any of the Masterbilt models?

[/quote']

Same question. If you have played the AJ500M how does it compare? Please post some kind of review when you get the time.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hahaha! Well ya got me. I kinda forgot all about the review, my bad. Well lets start with the good; The IBT is just a beautiful guitar. From the ever so subtle aged solid spruce top to the amazing darker grained mahogony sides and back, it gets so many compliments.

I love the tone this guitar gives me. Nice clear string seperation when i strum acoustically and the sonic nanoflex pickup does a nice job of dialing in some different tones when run through my vox amp. Although in a live setting changing tone or volume might prove to be difficult with controls up inside soundhole.

minor issues- as with any new guitar a professional set up is a MUST. When I first received it action was high and nut was terrible and intonation sucked but now days that seems to be the norm with new guitars. Once these minor things were cleared up she became a real player.

I will say it's taken me a little while to get used to the neck of the IBT as its slightly wider than my old Alvarez. At first my finger picking was awful but I'm adjusting.

All in all a pretty sweet guitar for a pretty sweet price!

Hahaha! Well ya got me. I kinda forgot all about the review' date=' my bad. Well lets start with the good; The IBT is just a beautiful guitar. From the ever so subtle aged solid spruce top to the amazing darker grained mahogony sides and back, it gets so many compliments.

I love the tone this guitar gives me. Nice clear string seperation when i strum acoustically and the sonic nanoflex pickup does a nice job of dialing in some different tones when run through my vox amp. Although in a live setting changing tone or volume might prove to be difficult with controls up inside soundhole.

minor issues- as with any new guitar a professional set up is a MUST. When I first received it action was high and nut was terrible and intonation sucked but now days that seems to be the norm with new guitars. Once these minor things were cleared up she became a real player.

I will say it's taken me a little while to get used to the neck of the IBT as its slightly wider than my old Alvarez. At first my finger picking was awful but I'm adjusting.

All in all a pretty sweet guitar for a pretty sweet price![/quote']

Hey Cookieman, yours doesn't look to far off my USA Texan from the above photos.

Interesting to hear about the neck being "wide". Can you tell us the measurement at the nut? (In MM's please I can never figure out the inch's)

Thanks man..

[biggrin]

Archived