Gibson Brands Forums

Tube rattling

So after a bit of playing with my new BH head, I noticed that when it's sitting on top of the cabinet and the volume is loud enough, I heard a bit of rattling that I'm assuming is the tubes (I've heard many valve amps have that problem). Is there a way to remedy this internally rather than just taking it off the cabinet? Also, and more importantly, am I damaging anything by letting them rattle around like that?

So after a bit of playing with my new BH head' date=' I noticed that when it's sitting on top of the cabinet and the volume is loud enough, I heard a bit of rattling that I'm assuming is the tubes (I've heard many valve amps have that problem). Is there a way to remedy this internally rather than just taking it off the cabinet? Also, and more importantly, am I damaging anything by letting them rattle around like that?[/quote'] Dunno if it'll harm anything (doubt it, but ???) ... fwiw, the only tubes I've had "rattle" are Sovtek EL-84s ..... never a problem with any others .... ymmv.

The rattle isn't necessarily the tubes. Could be the chassis or that the head is simply vibrating on the speaker cabinet. Try swapping the tubes and see what happens. There is such a thing as filament rattle, so yes, it could be that, indeed. I don't know of that being a fatal symptom, but it certainly can't be good for the life of tubes, since it involves rattling against the glass. Both the filament and the glass are being hammered in that case, which doesn't seem as though it would be GOOD for tube life. Mostly, it's just annoying to the point where you swap and it's over with.

The rattle isn't necessarily the tubes. Could be the chassis or that the head is simply vibrating on the speaker cabinet. Try swapping the tubes and see what happens. There is such a thing as filament rattle' date=' so yes, it could be that, indeed. I don't know of that being a fatal symptom, but it certainly can't be good for the life of tubes, since it involves rattling against the glass. Both the filament and the glass are being hammered in that case, which doesn't seem as though it would be GOOD for tube life. [b']Mostly, it's just annoying to the point where you swap and it's over with.[/b]
That's what it came to for me. I disassembled the thing, checking that all was tight, tried it without the retainers, anything I could think of, and it turned out it was the Sovtek el84 ... different 2 times. Switched to JJs, all's been wells since...so far. Still have the rattlers on hand in the back of my drawer, in case I might need an emergency spare (I have a few JJ new spares in the front of the drawer - I figure if I have more tubes than I need, I'll likely not need them. If I had none, I'd have problems ... that's life !!!

That's what it came to for me. I disassembled the thing' date=' checking that all was tight, tried it without the retainers, anything I could think of, and it turned out it was the Sovtek el84 ... different 2 times. Switched to JJs, all's been wells since...so far. Still have the rattlers on hand in the back of my drawer, in case I might need an emergency spare (I have a few JJ new spares in the front of the drawer - I figure if I have more tubes than I need, I'll likely not need them. If I had none, I'd have problems ... that's life !!!

[/quote']

Tru dat. Only thing that fixes rattlers is to replace them.

I had a set of JJ el84's in a Blues Jr and moved them to a Pro Jr and they rattled both places. I considered it more of a 'ringing' though.....I thought that it was a characteristic of the el84, because I have heard other amps do it in stores.....never bothered me too much in a band setting, but when just playing in my room it kind of did....

sure did sound good, though....

I've always wanted to get a Pro Jr and make a 4-10 bassman style combo out of it....

Jeff

Archived