Gibson Brands Forums

GFS keystone tuners

jerome_travis

I had a set that I was going to put on my Les Paul before I sold it. Never got 'round to fitting them, but they were nice, seemed well made and smooth. That said, you can get Grovers for a great price from StewMac. Ok, they're a fair bit more expensive than the ones from GFS, but you can get the superior 18:1 ratio. I bought a set from StewMac and it was $50NZ cheaper than buying them locally!

I have a set of GFS lockers on my strat and honestly, they're pretty average tuners; I have to re-tune at least the G string every day, whereas with the Grovers for example, I just pulled my Les Paul out of it's case for the first time in about 4 months and it's still in tune. If it's a real player's guitar I'd spend the bucks for a set of grovers but your last post leads me to believe that isn't really the case.

@Swoop: I hope that was before the recession, because I'm looking to buy some chrome Grovers to replace the black ones on my Goth Explorer and from Stewmac the price (inc. shipping) works out to be just under forty cents cheaper than buying them from guitarparts.co.nz. And buying them here I get a warranty. :P

I have a set of GFS lockers on my strat and honestly' date=' they're pretty average tuners; I have to re-tune at least the G string every day, whereas with the Grovers for example, I just pulled my Les Paul out of it's case for the first time in about 4 months and it's [i']still in tune.[/i] If it's a real player's guitar I'd spend the bucks for a set of grovers but your last post leads me to believe that isn't really the case.

@Swoop: I hope that was before the recession, because I'm looking to buy some chrome Grovers to replace the black ones on my Goth Explorer and from Stewmac the price (inc. shipping) works out to be just under forty cents cheaper than buying them from guitarparts.co.nz. And buying them here I get a warranty. :P

Hey mate, it was only a few months back that I bought the Grovers from StewMac. They were the Gold 18:1 variety, which might be why there was a more significant difference in the price than that of the chrome ones from StewMac and GuitarParts. I got a warranty with mine. Not that you really need one with Grovers!

Hey mate' date=' it was only a few months back that I bought the Grovers from StewMac. They were the Gold 18:1 variety, which might be why there was a more significant difference in the price than that of the chrome ones from StewMac and GuitarParts. I got a warranty with mine. Not that you really need one with Grovers!

[/quote']

Well that explains it. The gold ones are nearly $50 more just in New Zealand :P

And yes, I swear by Grovers after getting them on my Les Paul, I can't recommend them enough!

Archived