Gibson Brands Forums

GFS Retrotron or Dream 90 for a Dot?

Poshua

yeah, I know that sounds a little bit "profane" here but... Epiphone pickups really suck!

GFS seems to be a really good choice in terms of quality/price so I'm anxious to drop a pair of new pups but I can't decide...

Retrotron (Nashville Filtertron) or Dream 90 (P94-like)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

i keep my eyes on the clearance section and go for what they have there. i currently want another lipstick humbucker...

i have been looking at the retrotron "memphis" pickups, said to have ric tone, with alnico 2's. in the other retrotron series there are ceramics and alnicos. i have some dream 180's, with alnico 5's, and they really need the right guitar i have to say. (i'm still not sure about them.) on the otherhand a similar cheap set of filtertron style pickups with ceramic magnets, off ebay, dropped into a strat just fine!

i'd say get one of each (mean 90/ retrotron) as they can be moved to the other position (neck/ bridge) and you will guage the tone 100%. (dream 90's are ceramic. mean 90's are alnico.)

i think epi pickups are pretty ok. if you really, really hate them just swap the magnets. an alnico 2 or ceramic otfers a huge tone change from alnico 5.

i keep my eyes on the clearance section and go for what they have there. i currently want another lipstick humbucker...

i have been looking at the retrotron "memphis" pickups' date=' said to have ric tone, with alnico 2's. in the other retrotron series there are ceramics and alnicos. i have some dream 180's, with alnico 5's, and they really need the right guitar i have to say. (i'm still not sure about them.) on the otherhand a similar cheap set of filtertron style pickups with ceramic magnets, off ebay, dropped into a strat just fine!

i'd say get one of each (mean 90/ retrotron) as they can be moved to the other position (neck/ bridge) and you will guage the tone 100%. (dream 90's are ceramic. mean 90's are alnico.)

i think epi pickups are pretty ok. if you really, really hate them just swap the magnets. an alnico 2 or ceramic otfers a huge tone change from alnico 5.[/quote']

I wonder if Retrotron will not be 'comfortable' in the Dot; in terms of resonation and also in aestetic.

you know, would be like mixing styles.. or something. I love Filtertrons but I hardly ever see em without their Gretsch's, DeArmond's or Rickenbacker's.

Mean 90 seems to be "philologically" correct (and it's a damn good third option, thanks)

Guest icantbuyafender

Classic II's or 59's!!!

Dont worry about style clash.

If you want nashville jangle/crunch go for the filtertron. I personally hate them. Id go lipstick humbucker before the filtertron. and my first choices ive already stated.

whats your playing style?

• 9 months later...
yeah' date=' I know that sounds a little bit "profane" here but... Epiphone pickups really suck!

GFS seems to be a really good choice in terms of quality/price so I'm anxious to drop a pair of new pups but I can't decide...

[b']Retrotron[/b] (Nashville Filtertron) or Dream 90 (P94-like)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Dream 90s are a little thin and twangy, Mean 90s have more of that P-90 growl. I had Meanies in an Epiphone Lucille, they were really good.

What kind of sound are you going for? If you're trying to get a Homme type vintage buzz, you're probably going to want some kind of humbucker rather than a P90 derivative. That, and you'll be rolling the tone back.

I've played a lot of QOTSA (which I'm assuming you like based on your avatar), and one thing I think would be important for you is how much you're going to have to dial out the mids with a P90...and with a P90, the magic really is in the mids.

Just my .02

Oh thanks

I do love P90s... I'm sure they'd make a great sound.

I'm so intrigued by that latest Josh Homme's MotorAve (yes, I love Qotsa!) -which is basically a semi-hollow similar to a Gretsch Falcon, with 2 Tv Jones Filtertron- and Jack White's Triple Jet Gretsch -again, 3 Tv Jones Filtertron!-

I think that Epi Dot is a fantastic guitar with some good woods and I'd like to pull it to something better. but, is it worth to spend 260$ for 2 Tv Jones Filtertron on a Dot that I payed nearly the same price?

Do I have to save money and go for the Gfs Retrotron?

I'm confused now...;)

maybe I have to buy me a Gretsch....!!!

Btw, anyone else think that Dot filled with filtertrons looks like devasting?

Oh thanks

I do love P90s... I'm sure they'd make a great sound.

I'm so intrigued by that latest Josh Homme's MotorAve (yes' date=' I love Qotsa!) -which is basically a semi-hollow similar to a Gretsch Falcon, with 2 Tv Jones Filtertron- and Jack White's Triple Jet Gretsch -again, 3 Tv Jones Filtertron!-

I think that Epi Dot is a fantastic guitar with some good woods and I'd like to pull it to something better. but, is it worth to spend 260$ for 2 Tv Jones Filtertron on a Dot that I payed nearly the same price?

Do I have to save money and go for the Gfs Retrotron?

I'm confused now...;)

maybe I have to buy me a Gretsch....!!!

Btw, anyone else think that Dot filled with filtertrons looks like devasting?[/quote']

Forum member Doc Helliday has a Dot Studio with TV Jones classic filtertron humbuckers:

0307001439.jpg

I haven't seen him post recently, but if you search Doc Helliday you can read his old posts about his upgrades.

in my mind, if the money you spend leads to a better sounding guitar then why worry about what it cost you in the first place? if you can get an amazing sounding guitar out of a decent guitar then you win. Other people will tell you what it isn't, but you'll know what it is and how great it feels and plays in your hands.

gear snobs will be gear snobs. if you read some interviews, Homme plays anything but Gibsons and (his quote) "mainstream" guitars. he says he has just a collection of weird and cool guitars. he has a pretty great sound.

in my mind' date=' if the money you spend leads to a better sounding guitar then why worry about what it cost you in the first place? if you can get an amazing sounding guitar out of a decent guitar then you win. Other people will tell you what it isn't, but you'll know what it is and [b']how great it feels and plays in your hands.

[/b]

gear snobs will be gear snobs. if you read some interviews, Homme plays anything but Gibsons and (his quote) "mainstream" guitars. he says he has just a collection of weird and cool guitars. he has a pretty great sound.

Absolutely true. Details make the difference; strings, set-up, amps, pedals.. everything is involved in THAT SOUND.

thank you bynapkinart, you convinced me: I GO FOR THE FILTERTRONS!

• 1 month later...

Hi Poshua,

Had to laugh, we're building the same guitar! I just upgraded my Dot with GFS Dream 180's... fantastic! They really brought the Dot to life,

nice thick bottom end, much clearer highs. Very nice looking too, kinda cross between filtrons and humbuckers. For the price they can't be beat! I highly recommend them! I'll post pics when I get a chance!

Hi Poshua,

Had to laugh, we're building the same guitar! I just upgraded my Dot with GFS Dream 180's... fantastic! They really brought the Dot to life,

nice thick bottom end, much clearer highs. Very nice looking too, kinda cross between filtrons and humbuckers. For the price they can't be beat! I highly recommend them! I'll post pics when I get a chance!

[biggrin]

cool!

Archived