Gibson Brands Forums

Pole Position - NON-NASCAR question

wedgeSG

I'm putting a pair of 498T's into a G-400. (One was purchased as being a 490R) String spacing vs. pole alignment as a consideration; would you mount the neck pickup inverted? Screws toward the tailpiece like the bridge, or in standard neck pickup configuration? Please give the reasons for your mounting method. I'm trying to make the best of less than ideal situation until I can afford to put this one right: so I welcome any assistance or suggestions the members of this forum can provide for this problem in the meantime. Additionally, aren't/hasn't there been some factory offerings that have used very similar output pickups in both neck and bridge locations? I've always thought the neck was pretty much always substantially less overall output; but maybe a simple height change would compensate and we're all just splitting hairs. I hope this sparks a good, informative, discussion since I doubt this has come up before. Maybe we can all gain some new insights along the way. Thanks in advance to any and all who pontificate profusely on this problematic pickup placement question.

Wedgie

I'm putting a pair of 498T's into a G-400. (One was purchased as being a 490R) String spacing vs. pole alignment as a consideration; would you mount the neck pickup inverted? Screws toward the tailpiece like the bridge' date=' or in standard neck pickup configuration?

Wedgie[/quote']

I'm assuming since it's a bridge PU the wire is too short (in the neck position) and you want to rotate the pickup to get some extra length?

I can't see why not? It has no baring on the sound. If you're worried about the symmetry of the "look" you can "invert" the bridge-PU as well.

i have a prs copy and was surprised when i tested the removed pickups with a meter to have both pickups around 14k, the neck slightly less, and there were meant to be neck and bridge as the string spacing is right for neck and bridge. the were both very big ceramic magnets. i couldn't tell much difference between these and the alnico g400 pickups (alnico 5 7/ 8k.) apart from saying i didn't like the tone in that guitar. i did like them in another guitar. i don't have a tube amp yet and maybe the breakup is where it's at.lowering the neck may well work on it's own... i'd just say give it a go!

i have just got: 2 alnico, 1 alnico 3 and 1 anlnico 4 magnets off ebay for £20 all in and the a3 is going in the neck and the a4 in the bridge of these a 14k pickups. that too will make a difference.

Guest icantbuyafender
The Gibson faded/worn SGs have a pair of 490s in 'em' date=' I'd put it in the way it's supposed to go, and if it's too loud, lower it.[/quote']

490R and 490T

Not the same. Both alnico II with the bridge being slightly hotter

Great pickups...

I have a 490r/490t setup in my LP Custom AND on the 12 string side of my 1275.:D/

I'm sure your combo would work and sound great. Just mount them in the normal way. If you have a R/T combo, you shoiuld not need worry about the wire length as they should be correct.

There are many gibsons that come stock from the factory with the 490r/498t combo. You will have a very balance sound with this combo. It all depends on the type of music you play, but for a good "all-around" sound, the combo you HAVE is a great setup.

I LOVE this combo. The sound is VERY sweet.=D>

The LP custom is presently my guitar of choice now.=P~

Archived