Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Ultra????????

marty31

Hi guys newbie here, and newbie to Epiphones. Have always played telecasters in various shapes and forms.

I came into some cash recently and decided to buy a Gibson les paul studio.

I tried 2 studios in the store and although ok I expected more from a gibson8-[

I then spotted beautiful looking cherryburst? les paul and asked to play it.......turned out to be an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra.....not the new nanomeg one the original.

Mother of God when I played it i fell in love........such a warm sounding guitar and so light to boot.

Store owner informed me it was Chambered........hence the light weight......was gobsmacked.

Bought the guitar on the spot for 549 euro.....have not put it down since.....following week I bought a les paul 56 gold top.....more anon on that tho.

What gives here.......the epi blows the Gibson outta the water........any thoughts welcome.

Welcome to the best forum online. I did the same thing about a year ago.

Ended up with the Ultra 2. Very nice guitar with a huge

range of sounds, and a great cherryburst finish.

Tried the Gibson and it didn't quite do it for me. Especially at the Gibson prices!!

Funny ... I come back after a couple of days and find TWO threads about my beloved Ultra!

Congrats, Marty ... it's a wonderful guitar and has been my go-to since the day I bought it. It is also the only guitar that goes to work with me in the show I play for on the Vegas strip (I bring a back-up, but depending on mood I change that one up). It has served me faithfully and gets raves for its sound and appearance.

Good choice, buddy ... and welcome to the forum!

Jim

Here she is next to #2:

SANY0012.jpg

There was a gentleman used to frequent the old school Epi forums went by the handle "TedVanFrehley", who used to RAVE about his Ultra, and was always trying to convert people over to one, and after trying the one I saw yesterday, I now see why. It's easy on the shoulder, VERY easy on the eyes, and has GOBS of a tone I would compare to a semi-hollow. I'm thinking it would make one HELL of a Blues guitar...I simply must have one. Sigh...someday...

Funny. The Ultra did nothing for me, but when the Ultra II hit the shelves, I was intrigued by the nanomag. I was looking for a way (without the Stew Mac piezo bridge and all the re-routing/filling/spacing new studs & wiring that would involve) to get some "acoustic" tone from my LP.

Sadly, of the 4 I tried over 6 or 8 months, NOT ONE worked as advertised. The 'buckers worked fine, but no amount of fiddling, fooling or futzing got anything out of the nonmag. No blend, no isolation...zip, zilch, zero, nada.

The sales-geeks couldn't figure it out either. The typical response I got was, "Huh...someone musta broke it." Maybe 1 I could understand, but all 4????

If it's that fragile, I don't need it.

Funny. The Ultra did nothing for me' date=' but when the Ultra II hit the shelves, I was intrigued by the nanomag. I was looking for a way (without the Stew Mac piezo bridge and all the re-routing/filling/spacing new studs & wiring that would involve) to get some "acoustic" tone from my LP.

Sadly, of the 4 I tried over 6 or 8 months, NOT ONE worked as advertised. The 'buckers worked fine, but no amount of fiddling, fooling or futzing got anything out of the nonmag. No blend, no isolation...zip, zilch, zero, nada.

The sales-geeks couldn't figure it out either. The typical response I got was, "Huh...someone musta broke it." Maybe 1 I could understand, but all [b']4[/b]????

If it's that fragile, I don't need it.

They probably didn't have batteries in 8-[

Every active system I've ever come across uses a stereo jack to switch it on and off. That's active pickups (EMGs and Blackouts) and Acoustic/Electric pickups/preamps. I see no reason why the Nanomag electronics would be any different, and I'd consider it a safe assumption to make.

In fact I know this is how the Performer ME works, and that uses a Nanomag too.

I've often wondered about this NanoMag gizmo. Can you use it at the same time as the normal pickups? Or can you only use them individually? i.e. the humbuckers, or the NanoMag, but not both. I know it has two jacks.

I quite like the idea of an acoustic with a soundhole pickup or something lately.

I bought my Ultra ll in February and the Nanomag has performed beautifully. However I am not planning to do any modding as I want to maintain the lifetime warranty for a long time in case there are any issues down the road.

The battery will last a long time if you do not leave the cord in the jack.

As mentioned the Nanomag and humbuckers are blendable. The two jacks allow one to use a footswitch to change from Nanomag to humbuckers or to get a stereo effect using two amps.

I bought this guitar because I wanted to have a single coil option without buying a Fender-

Yes. The battery is disconnected when the cord is not in the guitar.

Yes the Nanomag and humbuckers are fully blendable.

Yes the guitar is nice and light.

Yes the sound is good.

Yes the finish is good.

Shall I continue? :D

Archived