Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup hum problem, I'm confused..

stumblinman

Hey guys, I'm looking at a problem I just can't fix so far, so rather than beat myself up and smack my head against the wall, I turn to you, the experts! [-o< I have a BB2 in the bridge of my LP, and it's silent when I am not touching the strings, but as soon as I touch the strings or bridge, it starts humming fairly loudly. Neck pickup, which is a P-94, is silent when I do the same thing. No noise change at all. Obviously it's a ground issue, but I can't seem to see what wire would do this. Checking resistances between neck pup and bridge shows about 1.2k ohms I believe, and resistance between bridge pup and bridge shows fluctuations between 0 and about 50 ohms, constantly changing. I guess I don't understand where in my wiring I changed something. Any ideas which wire/post could be causing the problem, I'd appreciate the input please. Thanks!

K Twang' date=' I'll dig around there. And Ron, wth kind of response is a star of David? Thanks for your insight into the topic man.[/quote']

My star of David response is an inappropriate-in-a-guitar-forum response to your inappropriate-in-a-guitar-forum citation of New Testament quotes. Got it?

Ironically, a star pattern is actually a good way to ground all your pots, points, and shields so that you avoid loops or weak gound connections.

It is possible that you have a "loop" but also more likely that your string/bridge ground is bad. also make sure the cover/shield of that humbucker is grounded.

here's a link

here's one you'll like

and thanks for the reminder about salt and light.

epicac

Most of the grounding articles I've found seem to be the opposite of my problem, they are noisy until touched, where mine is noisy when touched, and silent when not. I think I'll desolder the bridge ground and go backwards from there to see what will change. Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted.

My star of David response is an inappropriate-in-a-guitar-forum response to your inappropriate-in-a-guitar-forum citation of New Testament quotes. Got it?

Wow, a few small letters on his Sig file? Seriously? Wow, what is wrong with freedom of expression? I believe his fist stopped well short of your nose. I am an atheist myself, but I appreciate his love for his religion or his beliefs. Anything that makes people want to be better people is damn alright with me. To me that is why I started playing guitar, was to be a better person. I am not one to judge but I do not like hating on or ridiculing someone for a small thing like that. Maybe you should try to rear end people that have the little fish on their car, good luck with that.

Since many of us are Fab Four Fans, here is something that is pretty cool.

I hope you figured out your Grounding issues Stubmlin'.

Doth

Wow' date=' a few small letters on his Sig file? Seriously? Wow, what is wrong with freedom of expression? I believe his fist stopped well short of your nose. I am an atheist myself, but I appreciate his love for his religion or his beliefs. Anything that makes people want to be better people is damn alright with me. To me that is why I started playing guitar, was to be a better person. I am not one to judge but I do not like hating on or ridiculing someone for a small thing like that. Maybe you should try to rear end people that have the little fish on their car, good luck with that.[/quote']

Minor annoyance does not equal hate. As for religion (I'm an Agnostic) making better people, there are far too many examples to the contrary. I have no problem with religion really - but agendas, that's another thing.......

I'm sorry Ron' date=' I thought you were Jewish. That would be cool...

I'm always amazed at how Americans are all about free speech until you mention Jesus.

II Chronicles 7:14

Free speech is a great thing, as long as you don't express hate toward someone else. On one hand, it's called a "hate crime" and on the other hand it's called "freedom of expression". In music it's called Hip Hop or Metal. In the Lounge I posted the lyrics of a song called "Unholy Prophecies" by NECROPHOBIC. Would you label this freedom of expression or hate:

Unholy Prophecies

Worshipping laws of christianity

Depending on the book of lies

Read in the book of prophecies

And speak the words of blasphemy

Selling your soul for abandonment of God

Living by the book, you ignore the truth of lies

Following the cross for salvation when you're dead

Servant of God, you are only living lies

Born to pray to Christ

To sanctify the priest

Baptized to dying

Is it your belief

Live your life to the inverted cross

The lord of hell is the one to sanctify

Turn your back to christianity

Belivers of God shall die

People led to hell by christianity

Masses betrayed for the power of greed

By the holiness of our lord you shall crucify your God

Followers of lies: Now you must decide

See through the lies

Leave the spell of Christ

Dechristianize yourself

To the unholy prophecies

Born to pray to Christ

To sanctify the priest

Baptized to dying

Is it your belief

Change the reference to any of our favorite visible minorities and that would be called "disseminating hate".

For more inspiring lyrics, please go to http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/necrophobic/thenocturnalsilence.html#3

I'd call posting these "lyrics" an extreme example of something so obscure and unknown that their impact and your attempt at making a point is woefully inadequate. Since you've warmed to the fact that Alice Cooper isn't such a bad guy after all and the name NECROPHOBIC gives you pause, may I recommend you give Cold Ethyl a

listen from Alice's 1975 album "Welcome to my Nightmare" and lighten up a tad. "hate crime" other hand "freedom of expression" in music called HipHop or Metal. Wow,

thats some broad strokes I doubt any real bluesman would make. I don't dig rap or hiphop at all, and there does seem to be a underlying theme of violence running through a great deal of it; but I don't go around bashing it due to my lack of knowledge of it to make a valid assessment there-of. Johnny Carson once asked Ray Charles what he thought of rap, to which Ray replied, "Oh it's alright for the kids I guess, but rap is just talk, Hell, Johnny you talk, I talk, we all can just talk." As far as the discussions of Satanism around here, they are fairly few and far between. Normally they come up when somebody is quzzing about installing a new set of tuners they've purchased; and the mention of using a tapered reamer comes up to enlarge the holes in the peghead. Course we all know that tapered reamers are tools of the devil sent to earth straight from the darkest pits of Hell and should only be used by professional, trained luthiers that also practice witchcraft on the side.

Wedgie

Everyone might wanna "chill" before the monitors, or the site operators get involved..........

Religion &/or Politics are definite no-no's as discussion points in the forum.

Lets all take 1 line from an old "War" song.........."why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends"

oh wait, we CAN !!

I haven't had a chance to dig into my guitar lately actually. Been busy at work with machine shutdowns and taking my 3 kids to Build-a-Bear yesterday. That alone is an adventure. I'll try and do it this weekend, so I'm sure I'll have more posts for you then. Thanks!

Minor annoyance does not equal hate. As for religion (I'm an Agnostic) making better people' date=' there are far too many examples to the contrary. I have no problem with religion really - but agendas, that's another thing.......[/quote']

I seriously do not think a little note that he appreciates that passage would be considered an agenda. If so, I guess everyone listing their guitar stable would have some crazy agendas!

I'd call posting these "lyrics" an extreme example of something so obscure and unknown that their impact and your attempt at making a point is woefully inadequate. Since you've warmed to the fact that Alice Cooper isn't such a bad guy after all and the name NECROPHOBIC gives you pause' date=' may I recommend you give Cold Ethyl a

listen from Alice's 1975 album "Welcome to my Nightmare" and lighten up a tad. "hate crime" other hand "freedom of expression" in music called HipHop or Metal. Wow,

thats some broad strokes I doubt any real bluesman would make. I don't dig rap or hiphop at all, and there does seem to be a underlying theme of violence running through a great deal of it; but I don't go around bashing it due to my lack of knowledge of it to make a valid assessment there-of. Johnny Carson once asked Ray Charles what he thought of rap, to which Ray replied, "Oh it's alright for the kids I guess, but rap is just talk, Hell, Johnny you talk, I talk, we all can just talk." As far as the discussions of Satanism around here, they are fairly few and far between. Normally they come up when somebody is quzzing about installing a new set of tuners they've purchased; and the mention of using a tapered reamer comes up to enlarge the holes in the peghead. Course we all know that tapered reamers are tools of the devil sent to earth straight from the darkest pits of Hell and should only be used by professional, trained luthiers that also practice witchcraft on the side. Wedgie[/quote']

Hi Wedgie,

Please forgive me if I come across as some wild-eyed fanatic on his street corner soapbox. That was not my intention, nor am I like that at all as a person, although I do like to "stir the pot"- I mean "stimulate discussion" - from time to time to get people thinking. The Bible quote from Colossians 3:16 simply encourages us to sing and be thankful (to God) - not all that different from Charlie Brown's love of positive, happy rock'n'roll. Hey, everybody is free to take it or leave it. However, my use of NECROPHOBIC lyrics is an overstated attempt to show how a lot of music in the Heavy Metal genre is not only promoting the dark side for those so inclined, but it is also openly bashing those from the Christian faith. As a Christian, I am appalled at Rev. Fred Phelps and his well-publicized rants to the tune of "God Hates Fags!", etc. While I don't want to open up THAT can of worms, let it be said that NO identifiable group in society should be slandered, mocked and have hateful epithets hurled at them, especially within earshot of children! I fully understand that my views concerning Heavy Metal music will not be embraced by the majority of people on this forum. That's OK. This forum freely allows members to voice their opinions with a modicum of decency and sensitivity. I know that there are Christians who belong to this forum and also feel troubled by the apparent anti-Christian bias in certain segments of the rock music culture. I suspect that they are also rightly concerned about some of the lyrics and ideologies promoted by the industry. I know that even Alice Cooper, as a practicing Christian sure is =D>

Archived