Gibson Brands Forums

Dot smelling fishy

twangster007

that guys just plain nuts..

he has no idea where it was made..

he thinks the gibson tr cover means something besides gibson owns epi..

If it were a early epi..and he could prove it, I'm sure he would.

He seems to think he took better care of this than he did.. touched up in a few places, blah blah.

looking for a sucker I think.

In the "item description" it says that this is a "Gibson Les Paul Double Cutaway"...but I'm pretty sure that's NOT what it is! [-o<

Also, the HS inlay isn't right for that specific guitar. It should have the same one as the Gibson 335, but made from MOTS, not MOP.

BTW? MOTS = Mother of toilet seat (plastic/acrylic).

How about this thing?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instruments/Instruments/Guitar-bass/Electric-guitars/auction-248366843.htm

Seriously $2000NZ for a Dot? You can buy a brand new one for $1000. Sure, this one is upgraded but, even so, that doesn't immediately double the value. Nor are the upgrades even worth that much. What, a set of Dimarzio '59 PAFs must be like $300NZ max, a new switch and jack are maybe $50NZ all up.

Interestingly, the seller is the music teacher at my school!

I sold my ebony Dot (marked 2nd) last month for $200 on Craigslist with no case. It was identical to the one twangster linked, but had an Earvana nut. It took two months and several postings to do it, but I believe it was a fair price and the guitar was not worth much more than that in this oversaturated used guitar market. $950 is BS, but as with all these naively optimistic sellers he won't get it when you can buy a new factory first Dot anywhere for $399 US - even a flametop. Supply and demand will take care of him, the music teacher in NZ, and all the rest of these sellers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Epiphone-DOT-335-W-TKL-New-Case-obo_W0QQitemZ110443884191QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item19b6f7ee9f

Ok besides the price what else is fishy about this.

I thought all guitars stamped used had the serial number removed.

I fear someone is about to get seriously ripped off

Is it just my cynical mind' date=' or has that "Used" stamp been filled with Poly-Filler (Spackle), sanded smooth and stained black?

Speaking of cynicism: I love the appeal to naive parents, "Moms and Dads if your[sic'] looking for a very high quality guitar for your child to grow into, this is the one." (Guess there wasn't space to include the words "then buy a brand-new one of these for less than half the price I'm asking from Guitar Center.") Also the "Used" stamp is given serious consideration - the guitar has been used in some kind of Epiphone marketing promo! It's obvious!

Anyone with sufficient acumen to Google "Epiphone Dot" before bidding on this guitar should quickly realize that it's a scam...One can only hope...

I just reported this twit to the powers to be at Ebay providing all the details about serial#s and guitars stamped used etc. and the going prices of these guitars.I just couldn't sit by and have some unsuspecting chump get taken by this shyster.Crooks like him blemish legitimate sellers and dealers as well as themselves.I can't see how he got a 100% rating if this is the way he does business.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't see how he got a 100% rating if this is the way he does business.

If you look at his feedback, you'll see that it's all as a buyer. He hasn't received any feedback as a seller yet.

I agree with you, the guy is a crook, and it was a good idea to report him.

=D>

Archived