Gibson Brands Forums

Newbie with Question about Epi Les Paul Standard Tuning Machines

rjames1973

Hi,

I just joined this message board and have a question. I just recently acquired a new Epi Les Paul Standard Plus Top (honeyburst). I love the guitar, but the G string keeps getting out of tune. I've heard that some Epis have issues staying in tune and that you can rub pencil shavings on the grooves in the nut to fix this. Before I try this, I wanted to see if this is in fact the best, quick way to resolve this issue. If there is a better way to keep the G string from going out of tune, please let me know. Thanks!

The tuning machines are fine, I can assure you. When you say "going out of tune", do you mean that the G string sounds out when fretted, especially at the lower frets, as opposed to needing to retune the open string often? Meanwhile, here's an interesting read that may help you with your problem:

http://images.onstagemag.com/files/46/0202Setuptxt.html

For me and many other players, a wound G string did the trick (my problem seemed to be a too-tight grip coupled with tall frets). Another possibility is that the string isn't wound properly around the post.

Ron G.,

Thanks for the reply. To clarify what I mean about the G string going out of tune, it happens when I bend the string. The other strings don't go out of tune at all when I bend them; it's just when I bend the G string. I'll check out the link you provided. Thanks again for the help!

Ron G.' date='

Thanks for the reply. To clarify what I mean about the G string going out of tune, it happens when I bend the string. The other strings don't go out of tune at all when I bend them; it's just when I bend the G string. I'll check out the link you provided. Thanks again for the help![/quote']

Sometimes, strings bind in the nut if the slot is too tight. Do you sometimes hear a "ping" sound when tuning the G? That would be from the string breaking the friction bond in the nut slot. Graphite provides lubrication to help prevent this.

Ron

If it has new strings it might do the same thing.

It generally takes a day or two to stretch out new strings.

Sounds like it could be be a nut issue. Too small a groove for the guage of string.

When you bend it, the string pulls toward the body in the groove.

When you release the string, the tight groove prevents it from returning to the original position.

I haven't heard a "ping" sound when tuning the G string' date=' but will pay close attention to this the next time I tune it. Also, I've only had the guitar for a couple of days, so it probably needs to be restrung with a fresh set of strings.[/quote']

I recommend you use the post wrapping method outlined in your Epi owner's manual, especially for the plain steel strings.

I believe the G string goes out of tune more than any other string on ALL my guitars.

And it's not because of the tuners, or the nut, or the way I wrap the string around the post.

It's simply because that's the string I like to bend more often than any other.

I believe the G string goes out of tune more than any other string on ALL my guitars.

And it's not because of the tuners' date=' or the nut, or the way I wrap the string around the post.

It's simply because that's the string I like to bend more often than any other.[/quote'] Now....ya know, there might some truth to that ....the G string does seem to bend very "satisfyingly" (if there is such a word) ..... it just "feels" right ... although I have little trouble with that string more than any other going out of tune .... I have my stock Grovers and they're perfectly fine for my amateur arse !!!

LOL, Brad! Yes, that may very well be why the G string is going out of tune. I do bend that string much more than the others.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post.

Ron G. - I will review my owner's manual and try the post wrapping method when I restring the guitar.

Archived