Gibson Brands Forums

P-90 in a Humbucker routed guitar UPDATED W/PIC

3 Chord Hippie

Okay working on a new project, I really want to put a P 90 Dogear on this guitar (LP JR) it came with a Humbucker. I know there may be a little gap around the route, has anyone done this before, and do you have any pictures. Looks are going to count on this project, a little gap I can live with but a big one may need to be filled or surrounded by something. Pics would really help me decide. Thanks

i've seen a guy 's guitar somewhere on the net. he shaped the inside of a pickup ring (the black plastic thing round the outside of the pickup) to use it hide the route. the route itself has to be lengthened too.

i did my own extensive mod. my prefered way!!!

i used plywood to fill in the route floor. (this is so you can screw the p90 to something.) routed the full size of the p90 shape. (the p90 is actually longer than a humbucker.) then filled in the gaps around the p90 with epoxy putty. of course this mod may require some spray to hide the filler. which i have yet to do. good if you intend a respray anyway! the p90's are better than mean or dream 90's imho. (i have both.)

I am assuming that if it's a LP jr., then it's a flat top, correct?

In that case. you could use a pickguard. If they are dog-ear's, you wouldn't even need to route out the guitar. Then, if you don't like it, you could put it back the same way. I would suggest a single ply pickguard. You don't want to raise the pickup too high.

Brushed aluminum works great. Just draw a template, then take it to a local machine shop. They would be able to cut, polish, and drill/countersink, the attachment screw holes. This would work great. Try it. I've seen this done many times before.

If the humbucker sized single coin is your choice, my vote goes to the SD Phat cats. I have a set in a LP Custom, they sound awesome.

You guys are great, Nice to see Notes around (the project is very similar to your Sophisticats project). Yeah the Jr. is a flat top vs. carved top, and I had considered the pick guard Idea. Next question anyone ever use a metal nut on a Les Paul style guitar. I had one years ago on a Dano, but it's been so long ago I can't remember much about it. I did like the guitar though.

• 3 weeks later...

I learned to solder in this last year or so. I too thought it was hopeless.

I went to my local repair shop, they were happy to give me some old pots

to practice on. A bit of practice, and now it is a lot easier.

Just don't go out and get loaded the night before. Shakes are not good.....

OK ordered a GFS Dream 90' date=' any tips on installation, I don't solder (it is ugly beyond belief) right now I'm thinking wire nuts on the old harness.

[/quote']

Thats a good one, your funny.

Soldering is easy. Do this as fast as you can, with out making any mistakes. If it scares you that much take it to the shop.

1.tin tips

2. heat part (i.e. pot and wire)

3. apply solder to part, not iron. (though you should have cleaned and tinned the tip in step 1)

4. don't move , don't blow. allow to cool

5. repeat

Go easy on the solder. Rookies always use gobs of that stuff, and it just makes it worse. Just a dab applied properly will do ya. I bet I use about an inch of soldier to do an entire guitar, maybe two if it has a million switches in there. Who knows, but I know it ain't much.

Good luck

• 4 weeks later...

Alrighty then, the project is done and I love it. Started with a $20.00 Craigslist Epiphone JR. that had seen better days. First Mrs. Hippie stripped it, laid down three layers of straight black base, next three coats of clear, then airbrushed on Yoda ( my Tac call sign). Then seven more coats of clear, sanded and buffed up. Then I decided on the GFS Dream 90, (thanks to everyone here), a graphite nut, high sustain intonated bridge. Assembled it no sound. Off to the luthier drove him crazy. Finally discovered one of the pickup screws had pierced the wiring, new wiring and off we go sounds awesome looks better. The pictures don't do Yoda justice.

/yodaproject028.jpg w320.pngyodaproject029.jpg w240.png

Archived