Gibson Brands Forums

Large Pickguard on G-400 SG

Swoop

Should fit' date=' just specify when you order it. If not, you can always do the old toothpick/Elmers Glue trick.[/quote']

Not too concerned about the holes, I know there will be some drilling involved. More concerned about the pickup spacing and the bridge holes. Anyone know?

It's claiming to be a Gibson part

so I'd say Gibson

but really' date=' how far off can it be?[/quote']

Pretty far I'd say. My guess is that the bridge holes and pickup spacing is different. Nothing that can be fixed without leaving big ugly gaps.

I've contacted one place that apparently stocks replacement Epiphone parts, so we'll see how that pans out. I also contacted Terrapin. I think he already has a template for the '66 G-400 guard, so that will keep the cost down if I have to order one from them.

Guest icantbuyafender

pickup spacing is more likely different as well. the V pickguards that gibby and epi use for the '67 flying V are wayyyyyyy different so I'd assume its a gibby and it won't work.

Pretty far I'd say. My guess is that the bridge holes and pickup spacing is different. Nothing that can be fixed without leaving big ugly gaps.

I've contacted one place that apparently stocks replacement Epiphone parts' date=' so we'll see how that pans out. I also contacted Terrapin. I think he already has a template for the '66 G-400 guard, so that will keep the cost down if I have to order one from them. [/quote']

That sounds cool.

Keep me posted!

I might be interested in a white (or possibly black) '66 style pickguard for my SG Custom.

I'm thinking of switching it to just two pickups and the '66 would cover it perfectly.

So when you find out who's got the Epi part please let me know

Thanks!

Alrighty, the first guy I contacted at a place called ClassicAx, who apparently stocks Epiphone replacement parts, has them for $34.50, but said he would need a tracing of my old guard to be sure the new one will fit. I really don't see how this will help since the old one is the small version. I asked if he could provide a tracing of the one he has that I could print and test for fitment

Terrapin has sent me a template to print, cut out, and check the fitment of. Unfortunately my printer is out of action, so I can't do that at the moment. He wants $33.00 for a black plastic guard. Shipping from Terrapin is way cheaper than from ClassicAx so, for me, Terrapin is looking like the better option at the moment, provided it fits. I can send him a modified template if need be, but that will incur a $20.00 charge. I'm fairly confident that his template will fit though.

I've purchased a few things from Terrapin. He does excellent work. The pickguard will not fit, I tried it on my G-400. The pickups didn't line up and the TP is in the wrong position. BUT, if you send him a tracing he will make a great guard. He made 2 - 335 guards, 1 for my Dot and 1 for my Sherry. He is in the process of custom making one with a graphic for a Strat that I plan on making this winter. Yeah it does cost more, but I was totally happy with his work.

Or, print out the one he has on his site, make the changes on it so it will fit your guitar and mail it it.

I've purchased a few things from Terrapin. He does excellent work. The pickguard will not fit' date=' I tried it on my G-400. The pickups didn't line up and the TP is in the wrong position. BUT, if you send him a tracing he will make a great guard. He made 2 - 335 guards, 1 for my Dot and 1 for my Sherry. He is in the process of custom making one with a graphic for a Strat that I plan on making this winter. Yeah it does cost more, but I was totally happy with his work.

Or, print out the one he has on his site, make the changes on it so it will fit your guitar and mail it it.[/quote']

Didn't Terrapin do a '66 for his own SG Custom? Seems I'm remembering someone here had done one themselves. Can't recall all the info though.

The guy from ClassicAx doesn't seem to think his will fit, but if it's an original Epiphone part, designed for the '66 G-400, I don't see why it won't fit the regular G-400. Are they not the same thing? I think the '66 may have slighty different pickups, but other than that and the full face pickguard, aren't they the same?

I ordered a pricey full PG for my Gibson SG P90 with Terrapin once. The guy did a nice job but was just about a hair off on some holes. I had to sand down the P90 routes and enlarge a few holes. Not a real biggie in itself, but frankly quite annoying after you just spend that kind of money.

Terrapin did my '66 style G-400 guard, I think mine was probably the first ever since when I ordered it, (years ago), the small G-400 guard was on his available template list and the G-400 with the new larger style hadn't even been out very long. I sent him my original Epi large guard and had a replacement made from my mint original. As we all know there are some varibles between plants... most of the large guard G-400's I see on Ebay are of EE origin, mine is Unsung from '05, this may account for a fitment problem I don't know. I was, however, very pleased with the finished Terrapin guard: so much so I ordered a smaller '61 style for another G-400 I have. BTW to Gas Jones I have to wonder if the spacing between the pair of pickups on a regular G-400 is the same distance apart as the outermost pair is on a custom. While I'm fairly sure it could cover the area, additional routing may be needed. Since the bridge posts go through it, some careful measuring and compairing should be done prior to order placement.

Wedgie

Terrapin did my '66 style G-400 guard' date=' I think mine was probably the first ever since when I ordered it, (years ago), the small G-400 guard was on his available template list and the G-400 with the new larger style hadn't even been out very long. I sent him my original Epi large guard and had a replacement made from my mint original. As we all know there are some varibles between plants... most of the large guard G-400's I see on Ebay are of EE origin, mine is Unsung from '05, this may account for a fitment problem I don't know. I was, however, very pleased with the finished Terrapin guard: so much so I ordered a smaller '61 style for another G-400 I have.

[b']BTW to Gas Jones I have to wonder if the spacing between the pair of pickups on a regular G-400 is the same distance apart as the outermost pair is on a custom. While I'm fairly sure it could cover the area, additional routing may be needed. Since the bridge posts go through it, some careful measuring and compairing should be done prior to order placement[/b].

Wedgie

I might break out a ruler and see what the difference is on my Faded G400 compared to the Custom.

Thanks!

I received a couple of pictures with measurements from ClassicAx this morning. I could tell straight away it won't fit, the guard he has is for a G-310, it has no holes in it for the bridge. The search continues!

You're not going to be able to do this conversion (pick-up & control cavity spacing are altogether different) with an off the shelf replacement.

Someone suggested downloading a template and making your own. That's the only way you're gonna make it happen.

Beware that laminated/layered pickguard stock is easily damaged and not easy to cut & bevel (if you can find a source for blank stock to begin with). Single ply would be easier to work with, but not accurate. On the other hand, if you're committed to modding the guitar as you describe, accuracy isn't high on your list of priorities in the first place.

You're not going to be able to do this conversion (pick-up & control cavity spacing are altogether different) with an off the shelf replacement.

Someone suggested downloading a template and making your own. That's the only way you're gonna make it happen.

Beware that laminated/layered pickguard stock is easily damaged and not easy to cut & bevel (if you can find a source for blank stock to begin with). Single ply would be easier to work with' date=' but not accurate. On the other hand, if you're committed to modding the guitar as you describe, accuracy isn't high on your list of priorities in the first place.[/quote']

No? Really? I think we've established that an off the shelf part isn't going to fit. Accuracy not high on my list? And how do you figure that, oh wise one?

Excuse me if my tone is less than pleasant, but I fail to see the need for such a generalisation about my intention to modify my guitar.

All I meant was that if you were going to make a custom pick guard to utilize the spacing of the stock G400, then it wouln't be accurate in the sense that it won't be quite the same as having a guitar that was built with a full pick-guard and associated spacing to begin with.

I took it that you were more interested in "the look" of that set set up. And if it's pleasing to your eye, go for it. But you''re not going to easily convert a small PG G400 into an accurate full-faced PG G400. By the time you've reworked the guitar enough to accomodate what you're after, you'll likely have:

A.) Destroyed the guitar if you don't have the proper tools, skill and patience to pull it off,

or

B.) If you do have the tools, skill and patience to do the job, probably spent as much as you would on buying the model you're after.

Next month will be 40 years I'm playing, modding, maintaining or building guitars. No, it isn't rocket science...but it's not for the faint of heart either. Accuracy = good tools and a little skill. Good tools = $. Patience, you can't buy (unfotunately for a lot of folks).

BTW: Calm down. I don't remember calling you any smart-*** names...

I don't recall caliing you any smart *** names either, I simply stated that it's pretty nonsensical to make a generalisation about someone and/or something with little or no basis for it.

There really is no reworking to be done to the guitar by fitting a large pickguard. Provided I utilise the original pickup spacing all that is required is to drill a few more holes for the extra mounting screws and fit it. I am by no means underestimating the job. I am aware that the pickup spacing is different between an SG with the large pickuard, and one with the small pickguard. The guitar functions perfectly fine as it is with the current pickup spacing, so there's no need to make any drastic alteration to that for the sake of being 'correct'. Provided the end result is aesthetically pleasing, all is fine.

BTW, I'm not some naive little 'whippersnapper' either.

Okay, so it is more the "look" you're going for. Excuse me for making the correct observation, which incidentally was the basis for my statement.

Now, if we're both done hosing the forum with testosterone...

Since I now understand you're not looking to re-route pick up cavities and such, just keep in mind that the overall appearance may be a little "off" from what you're expecting (if you've ever looked at an LP style guitar that has the neck pick up mounted 1/4 inch from the neck instead of flush with the end of it, you'll know what I mean). Not bad, just different from what you expected to see.

If you like the look, then that's all that really matters.

Only thing that might make me think twice is that if you decided later that you wanted to go back to the smaller pick guard arrangement, you'd have several holes to fill and color match.

Not difficult, just time consuming...

Archived