Gibson Brands Forums

Question about Finish on New Epi Les Paul Standard Plus Top

rjames1973

Hi,

I received a new Epi Les Paul Standard Plus Top a few days ago. Something happened to the finish on the back of the guitar and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue. Right after I unpacked the guitar and was holding it, a very minor discoloration occurred on the back of the body toward the top. I had touched that area with my finger, which is what (obviously) caused the minor discoloration. Did the oil in my finger cause this minor discoloration in the finish? Is there any way to restore the finish on the small discolored patch? If not, it's not a big deal. I'm thinking of it as my special "mark" on the guitar now.

Hi' date='

I received a new Epi Les Paul Standard Plus Top a few days ago. Something happened to the finish on the back of the guitar and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue. Right after I unpacked the guitar and was holding it, a very minor discoloration occurred on the back of the body toward the top. I had touched that area with my finger, which is what (obviously) caused the minor discoloration. Did the oil in my finger cause this minor discoloration in the finish? Is there any way to restore the finish on the small discolored patch? If not, it's not a big deal. I'm thinking of it as my special "mark" on the guitar now. [/quote']

Wow that sounds strange.

Were you working with chemicals before you touched it?

If it's brand new just send it back for a replacement.

Sounds really weird.

Pics?

Hi' date='

I had touched that area with my finger, which is what (obviously) caused the minor discoloration. Did the oil in my finger cause this minor discoloration in the finish? [/quote']

Perhaps it's just coincidence that you touched an area which was previously discolored ??? I seriously doubt that your touching a fully dried poly finish will affect it in any way other than applying a surface smudge or two - mine is always covered in fingerprints and smudges..... unless you sweat acid or something8-[ If the guitar plays fine, I wouldn't worry about it. If not (or if the discolored spot bothers you), return it for an unblemished one, if you received it brand new.... no big deal either way.

No, no chemicals on my hand. I think it might have been some sweat on my finger that did it, though. I read somewhere that you have to be careful with the finish on these guitars. I doubt that I can return the guitar to Musician's Friend now for a replacement. I've been playing the guitar quite a bit since I got it last Friday, and the pickguard already has some minor wear and tear.

No' date=' no chemicals on my hand. I think it might have been some sweat on my finger that did it, though. I read somewhere that you have to be careful with the finish on these guitars. I doubt that I can return the guitar to Musician's Friend now for a replacement.

[b']I've been playing the guitar quite a bit since I got it last Friday[/b], and the pickguard already has some minor wear and tear.

If I'm not mistaken you have 45 days to return the guitar.

You've had it less than a week?

Unless you're just really attached to it and can live with it

returning it would be the right way to go.

Unfortunately, I threw out the box it came in, as well as the bubble wrap that came on the guitar. I suppose I'll just keep the guitar at this point. No one is looking at the back of the guitar when I'm playing it anyway, right? It still makes me wonder why that happened, though. I'll post a couple of picks later today if anyone is interested.

I read somewhere that you have to be careful with the finish on these guitars.

On a Gibson Les Paul with a nitrocellulose lacquer finish? Yes. There are lots of chemicals that will melt nitro. But the polyester on the Epiphones is typically pretty tough. From what I've seen of members who have actually tried to strip their guitars it takes a heat gun' date=' a chisel and a [i']lot[/i] of patience. So what's happening with your LP sounds out of the ordinary to me.

I'll post a couple of picks later today if anyone is interested.

I'd like to see them. If there's a problem with the way the finish has cured, that could be a warranty claim.

ALL,

I believe the finish was damaged by a small amount of sweat that probably came from my fingers when I was unwrapping the guitar. I'm positive that I didn't have any chemicals on my hands that could have damaged the finish on the body of the guitar. One thing I noticed was that the guitar was quite cold when I unwrapped it, owing to the cold weather in my area and the fact that it was sitting in a cold delivery truck for a week on its way to my front door. I did not notice the small discolored spot when I first inspected the guitar. It was only after I touched the body of the guitar as I was unwrapping it that the spot seemed to appear. Another one appeared on the middle of the back of the guitar, which may have been caused the same way, but it is very small. I wonder if the cold weather might have rendered the lacquer on the body susceptible to this type of smudge??? The owner's manual indicates that sweat can damage the finish on this type of guitar, so the manual recommends that you wipe the guitar down after every use.

As far as returning the guitar to Musician's Friend for an exchange, I do not believe I can do that at this point. Since I've been playing the guitar, some minor scratches have appeared on the pickguard. Their return policy indicates that no instruments can be returned if there are pick scratches on them. Also I do no believe I can exchange it under the terms of the warranty. One of the terms in the warranty indicates that Epiphone is not responsible for damage to the guitar during delivery or hot/cold weather conditions. If I'm wrong on either count and could still do an exchange, someone please let me know. In any event, I still love the guitar, and the blemishes that the instrument incurred are too small to really matter in the long run. I guess my point in posting this topic was to see if anyone else had experienced this issue with their Epi Les Pauls. All that matters is that the guitar sounds great, so I'm happy overall!

P.S. I haven't had a chance to post pics of the smudges yet, but will do so soon.

I just want to say that the customer service department at Musician's Friend is awesome!!! I called them to see if there would be any way I could exchange my new Epi Les Paul Standard Plus Top for a new one, since the finish was damaged. They had no issue at all with the exchange. I have to make sure I wear gloves when the new guitar is shipped to me. : )

Ron G.' date='

That is exactly the question I asked the customer service rep at Musician's Friend when I asked to do the exchange. I do think that is what happened. In any case, I'll be getting a new Epi soon![/quote']

Anyone considering the purchase of a new Epi from eBay really needs to consider your experience. Would an eBay seller process such a return as easily as a reputable firm like Musician's Friend?

I just want to say that the customer service department at Musician's Friend is awesome!!! I called them to see if there would be any way I could exchange my new Epi Les Paul Standard Plus Top for a new one' date=' since the finish was damaged. They had no issue at all with the exchange. I have to make sure I wear gloves when the new guitar is shipped to me. : )[/quote'] Good for you !!! Was hoping you bought it from a reputable place .... I've dealt with MF, but have had no problems ....have heard they're good about returns/exchanges - hope your replacement arrives quickly and unmarred.

Archived