Gibson Brands Forums

HNAD! The Super Champ is SUPER!!!!

brad1

Hey everybody. I just got my new Fender Super Champ in yesterday evening, and all I can say is WOW! I am impressed!

Thought I would pass on the good word about this little amp with a huge sound. And besides, Ron asked me to let him know what I thought.

securedownload-1.jpg

I've had it less than 24 hours, and have played it for about 2 hours total. But my initial reaction is a very positive one.

The amp I have mostly used for the past 1.5 years is a VOX AD30VT. The Super Champ is superior to the Vox in a lot of ways.

First, this llittle 15 watt is loud as hell. Believe it or not, it will get louder than the Vox.

2nd - the amp models. Vox has 12, the Fender has 16. And on the Vox I have found that I only use about 4 or 5 of the models, the rest I just don't care for. But on the Champ, there seems to be a lot more models (they call them voices) that I will be using.

3rd - The effects are simply BETTER! The Spring Reverb is AWESOME! I have never thought the reverb on my VOX sounded bad. But I do now. Now this is what reverb is supposed to sound like. And although there are fewer effects, the ones missing (phase shifter, wah, etc.) I never really used anyway.

The Champ has an Acoustic setting that is really cool. The clean tones are just great. But there's even a few high gain models that would make a metalhead happy too.

4th - It just looks cool. There's just something about that silver and black that looks so cool.

5th - It has 2 more tubes than the VOX. And not just in the Preamp. The difference in sound/tone is significant, at least to me.

There is only one thing about the VOX that I like better than the Champ. It's the power level switch in back that allows you to set the wattage output of your amp. If the Champ had one, I would probably think about getting rid of the VOX. That thing really comes in handy; especially at night. The Fender is a little touchy with the volume knob, and I was having a hard time keeping the volume down last night.

If you are looking for a small amp with a lot of punch, and capable of producing a lot of different tones, I think it would be hard to find another amp at this price level that is as good. It's $300 brand new everywhere I've seen. But at zZounds.com I got a "Warehouse resealed" one for $269. They say these models are all customer returns. They also come with the full 5-year warranty included. So I figured it was just about as good as brand new.

Love mine too! I've had it for a year or so, and won't ever part with it. As far as the volume being touchy down low.....yes, I know what you mean. I just use the volume on the guitar to turn down.

When you are ready, put a Weber 10F150 in it. I've got the 10F150T, and it is loud as hell, but a little too much for me on the high end. I've also heard good things about the Eminence Ragin Cajun. I'd choose the Copeprhead from Eminence, though.

Congrats. I've got 2 of them. Got lucky and bought a second one broken one on eBay for $106 shipped. I was able to fix it by reseating the DSP's flash memory chip. It's an awesome amp. Voice #9 with the gain around 2 is a great British tone when using humbuckers.

Archived