Gibson Brands Forums

head and cab or combo

I'd opt for the head and cab,that way you have the option of using any speaker type you want,with the combo you're stuck with whats in the amp.If I'm not mistaken the standard speakers in most Vox amps and cabs are specially voiced Wharfedales,at least that's what's in my 412bn cab.with the cab you can swap out the Wharfedales(which are quite good)for Celestions that are made for Vox,they are based on the Vox Bulldogs and will give your amp the"sparkle" and "chime" Vox is noted for.As far as I'm concerned Vox is one of the better sounding amps around today(of course that's dependent on your style of music)I have 2,the Pathfinder 15r and the ad120vth,both are great amps for what I play(60s rock&alternative.The ad 120 is the best modeling amp I've heard and it's effects are beyond compare.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey man ive been gassing for one of these reallly bad, but i had the same problem when i bought my blackheart lil gaint, I went with the head and cab, the cab is built espically for that head so why not, and it make a pretty little peace of equpment, also the best thing about a head is that you can plug it into what ever kinda cab you want to, i brought my little gaint over to my freinds house and he has a big oll marshall stack, pluged my 5 watter into the 4x12 cab and it was amazing man...pretty cool stuff, also what i plan to do is get one more cab so i have a full mini stack!!!!!!

Also i belive the head cab unit has a 12in speaker and the combo as a 10

yeah, thats right it does have a 10 inch speaker,

I'm seriously thinkin about the head, BUT, i still dont know, my main reasoning is that the combo is 'apparenty' the same as the head apart from it has the 10 in speaker, so i could still use it with any speaker i wanted,

-Chris,

I went head and cab (didn't really have a choice, the wife bought it, but it was what I wanted)

I think the 12" speaker sounds better than the 10" in the combo but if you already have a cab ..........

The heads output is 16 ohm btw...........

AC4-Head-Cab.jpg

I went for the head/cab setup when I went Blackheart (Handsome devil and 1x12). I like that I can use the 1x12 or my Marshall 4x12 when I'm playing out. All of these guys are right in saying that it's easier to be able to mix and match cabs, but don't forget that a lot of combos either have extension speaker jacks, or are set up so that the internal speaker has a wire that plugs into a speaker out, giving you the option of unplugging the internal speaker and using a different cabinet.

Not sure if that even made sense. Yeah, it's late. I'm going to bed.

Archived