Gibson Brands Forums

2009 Epiphone Les Paul limited Sparkle flake info

Suek

Hi,

I just purchased a new Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Sparkle flake in Silver. I'm curious to know why my guitar has slight yellow look in the clear coat in the daylight. Is this to make it look vintage? It kind of looks like it was soaked in Pickle juice. lol I have tried to search on the internet for the darn model and forget it! lol Sorry I don't have pictures. Thanks for reading.

It's common for metallic colours, silver in particular, to look different in the sunlight, and in fact change colour due to exposure to sunlight. Not sure whether it's something to do with the silver lacquer or the clear poly.

I had an SX strat that had changed colour due to sunlight exposure. It was metallic Lake Placid blue, a very deep blue, but had faded to near Seafoam green, which I liked better anyway.

PIckle juice, huh? I agree with you on the yellowish tint of the silver sparkle Les Paul ... it made me think of a decidedly different liqyuid, however!

We got a second copy of an Epi LP Custom in the silverburst and it too has a decidedly yellowish/greenish tint ... not the case at all with the other one we have and certainly not like any of the silverburst Gibsons we have at the store.

I can't say if it's the paint they're using or this particular lot of poly coat (seems likely for your sparkle), but it's another example of Epiphone's occasional lack of consistancy for sure.

Jim

It's common for metallic colours' date=' silver in particular, to look different in the sunlight, and in fact change colour due to exposure to sunlight. Not sure whether it's something to do with the silver lacquer or the clear poly.

I had an SX strat that had changed colour due to sunlight exposure. It was metallic Lake Placid blue, a very deep blue, but had faded to near Seafoam green, which I liked better anyway. [/quote'] Thanks very much for replying. I believe it's called the binding. The strip that goes along the body of the guitar, It's coated with that yellow-green poly. I just got the guitar and hasn't been in the sun. It looks like a tint added to the Poly.

PIckle juice' date=' huh? I agree with you on the yellowish tint of the silver sparkle Les Paul ... it made me think of a decidedly different liqyuid, however!

We got a second copy of an Epi LP Custom in the silverburst and it too has a decidedly yellowish/greenish tint ... not the case at all with the other one we have and certainly not like any of the silverburst Gibsons we have at the store.

I can't say if it's the paint they're using or this particular lot of poly coat (seems likely for your sparkle), but it's another example of Epiphone's occasional lack of consistancy for sure.

Jim[/quote']

Yup pickle juice. lol It looks like a dog took a pee on it, But the WHOLE THING! lol Well now I know it's not just me.lol I appreciate you guys replying. This bothered me. I was thinking maybe it was just mine. Thank you!

Archived