Gibson Brands Forums

EPIPHONE 1970-71 5102T value and opinions??

smokin_johnny_bear

Hi,

First off I'm new to the forum so hello everybody! I just bought a Epiphone 1970-71 5102T for $350. The serial number is 696979 and the sticker inside the guitar says Epiphone, Inc. Kalamazoo, MI Made in Japan. I know there is alot of mystery surrounding these guitars as Epiphone/Gibson lost the records or something but how will I be able to find out if mine is the genuine Epiphone or just the Aria model?? Haven't picked it up yet but seen alot of mixed reviews on the internet about these but mainly the sound seems to get a good rating? Its had a few parts replaced aswell as it was in disrepair. The new wiring harness was assembled using high quality materials: cloth vintage style wire with braided shielding, Alpha 500K pots, a Switchcraft 3-position toggle switch, and a Switchcraft jack. Any help and advice is much appretiated!

Edit to add, pardon my manners, welcome to the Forum! I was in a hurry to ask for pics...:D

Any pics?

Here's a link to a Wikipedia page

5102T/EA250

If your's says Epiphone on it its Epiphone. But an Aria I saw recently looked identical; didn't sell for as much as the Epis fetch but that's the power of the brand name.

I quite like mine, (EA250) but the neck's skinny. Nice tone through a good valve amp. Enjoy!

Thanks for the link mate. I have read stuff about these guitars all over the net have just got such a mixed review. They look so nice though and just decided to take the gamble and find out for myself what its like because lets face it we all like different things! I don't know how to post pics in the forum yet! but I'll put the ebay link of for which has plenty of photos so you can have a look. The ebay item number is 320438072054. What kind of valve amp would u suggest that would do the sound and tone of this guitar justice. All I have at the min is a Marshall MG100DFX.

Wow, she looks totally mint. I tried a link to your ebay pic source:

IMG_2323-med.jpg

My stepfather gave me his, he had it since about 1973, and there is plenty of tarnishing of the chrome. I've never seen one in the condition yours is in. Nice buy, and for the price, a bargain. They have gone for twice that on UK ebay.

How's the action? Mine wouldn't go low as standard, I got a local carpenter to build a 3mm full neck pocket shim in maple. I'll post a pic when work and small baby allow the time.

Archived