Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Geetar_Axl

No non-VOS 1959 Reissue?

I was just told by a Canadian shop that there is no Non - VOS Reissue. But I know for a fact that you can get normal finish or VOS finish, whats going on there CS Staff?

the VOS look (lightly aged finish and hardware) is achived via a proprietary process...

when we instituted the VOS program in 2006, VOS became our "standard" Historic product look. at that time, guitars with glossy finish started being treated as special orders...always available, but with a slight upcharge. so, this policy has been in place for 2 1/2 years...you may want to talk to a dealer who's a little more in touch with what we are doing.

Also, i feel duty bound to tell you that if you are considering buying a new guitar from another country, this will impact your warranty...the warranty is only good in country of purchase, so if you buy a guitar in Canada, or the US, or wherever and later find you need warranty coverage, you will have to ship the guitar back to the country of purchase--at your own expense both ways--for coverage.

I've just bought a Custom Shop R9 VOS Heritage Cherry quilt top. The Serial # is 931493. I just love it so much that i wanted to quit my day job so I can stay home and just cuddle it and talk to it; and of course play it also. I think it is just perfect. The Burstbucker 1 and 2 pickups are very articulate. I enjoy the Gibson humbucker strings and also the Ernie Ball skinny top heavy bottom set is very good. I use a Marshall amp.

I was considering putting in a set of Duncan Alnico II pro pickups like Slash has but there really isn't anything wrong with the Burstbuckers.

Just that the mahogany neck is set deeper in the body on custom shop models as compared to the standard and this causes the chords to seem a little slow to gain momentum. However it could also be that the setup of intonation needs slight adjusting. I am very pleased with the R9 and I think that this one will stay with me a very long time. This is my 5th Gibson Les Paul. I have had previously a swamp ash LP limited with faded cherry, A Manhattan Blueburst flame top Limited Edititon from GC, a LP Elegant semichambered custom shop in Firemist Flametop, a LP Blonde Beauty 5A natural flame top with 3 piece flame maple neck. The R9 let me tell you is the best there is. Worth it every penny.

As far as I see there's no non-VOS historic reissues available. I have no idea what anybody says, but look at http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/lespauls/list.html, choose whatever Les Paul you want to and it brings up VOS. (and the usual non-historic custom guitars cost less than historic VOS). Then you can go to whatever dealer you fancy and you will actually see the same thing, that is- "historic- VOS", no other option.

What's going on, why everybody talks about some other LP Custom historic's with "glossy finish" and slightly higher cost? ](*,) If so, refer me to a page? Or am I just wrong here? #-o I've surfed musiciansfriend and every other kinds of friends and there's nothing else historic than VOS.

It's just confusing. I saw that 1959, 60 Standards had a higher price for some reason, but they still say "VOS". And also, why is the price higher even if 59 is gloosy, just because of that...? Or are there better parts? Something else?

Hi Harley,

Some stores use to get glossy LPs and VOS ones, other stores maybe ease up getting more VOS than glossy while other stores simply get what they're 100% sure to sell.

You're from NY right? Have you checked Mandolin's Bros? They're one of the biggest custom shop dealers in the US (along with friends @ wildwood in Colorado). I'm sure you will be pleased (as I was) to see how many great CS guitars you'd find there and impressed by limited edition finishes, greatest LP tops and indeed wide availability of models Gibson offers.

Yes 59s - 60s do cost more because of flames and historical relevance.

hope this helps clarify things a bit :-)

As far as I see there's no non-VOS historic reissues available. I have no idea what anybody says' date=' but look at http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/lespauls/list.html, choose whatever Les Paul you want to and it brings up VOS. (and the usual non-historic custom guitars cost less than historic VOS). Then you can go to whatever dealer you fancy and you will actually see the same thing, that is- "historic- VOS", no other option.

What's going on, why everybody talks about some other LP Custom historic's with "glossy finish" and slightly higher cost? :) If so, refer me to a page? Or am I just wrong here? :) I've surfed musiciansfriend and every other kinds of friends and there's nothing else historic than VOS.

It's just confusing. I saw that 1959, 60 Standards had a higher price for some reason, but they still say "VOS". And also, why is the price higher even if 59 is gloosy, just because of that...? Or are there better parts? Something else?[/quote']

all our Reissue LPs are available with aged (VOS) or glossy finish. glossy will be a little more expensive, as it is technically a custom order. other then the look of the finish anhardware, glossy and VOS guitars are exactly the same.

Okay' date=' thanks for the replies, it's clearer now indeed =D>

So it means if I want a 1957 3pup Custom I can get a glossy finish, that's good.[/quote']

You can, but it might be hard locating one.

I wanted a gloss '58 reissue, but there were non anywhere to be found.

If worst comes to worst, you could always order one...but that could that could take 3 months or more.

Really, the VOS finish is great...and you can just buy a cleaning product and remove the aged finish from the wood.

Virtuoso is a great cleaner, I did it to my reissues.

You can' date=' but it might be hard locating one.

I wanted a gloss '58 reissue, but there were non anywhere to be found.

If worst comes to worst, you could always order one...but that could that could take 3 months or more.

Really, the VOS finish is great...and you can just buy a cleaning product and remove the aged finish from the wood.

Virtuoso is a great cleaner, I did it to my reissues.[/quote']

Yeah, that's what I thought... man, I'm looking all over the net, there's really nothing else for 1957 etc than VOS, even my distributors...

VOS finish is indeed great, but I thought it was just another kind of finish (just matte like instead of gloss), but I never thought it's made to specially emulate an "aged" guitar, which seems really pathetic and ridiculous to me. I personally am not an aged guitar freak, if I pay that money, I want a thing that I can play in myself, hence buying a new guitar; if I wanted an original model from whatever-ties, I'd go for it and I have the real thing, but this finish idea for a new guitar just to make it "appear" old seems a little pathetic. But anyway...

Virtuoso and other polishers to wipe it off... that's what I'm reading, but hardware will still stay the same, right?. And I don't think wiping off the "dirt" will make it really a glossy version, because on VOS models they've skipped the last step which is polishing etc (etc because I don't know, there might be another layer (am I right?)).

"If worst comes to worst, you could always order one..." ..-- from Gibson? or through a distributor? so they'd have to order a glossy one and that's it?

...and you can just buy a cleaning product and remove the aged finish from the wood.

Virtuoso is a great cleaner' date=' I did it to my reissues.[/quote']

So, can anyone actually confirm that under this VOS patina theres the same nitro just as thin as on regular gloss models? What about neck (it aint glossy so is it just as fast on VOS, even after polishing with Virtuoso)? Is it okay to just wipe the "dirt" off anyway?

I heard that as VOS's ain't polished the nitro layer is thicker.. true? False?

That's good to know' date=' thanks.

I've read that VOS guitars get less nitro. Guess it's just a load of bull.[/quote']

Thanks from me as well and yeah, that's the point- there's so much theories about this out there but no info from any trustable source and when you go to the shop, they don't know much about it either- just theories. I actually heard that VOS's get more nitro than glossy ones :-s and if it's all bs, it's really funny. but I guess it all just comes from speculation caused by no official info from Gibson Custom.

Thanks now, anyway.