Gibson Brands Forums

Hot Rodded set advice

Figstrum

Does anyone prefer the SD Hot Rodded set over an Alnico II in the neck and a Pearly Gates in the bridge?

What pots and caps should be installed for the Hot Rodded set to have a balanced tone?

I have the hot rodded set in my Epi Lp, but I am thinking about taming the tone a bit and was wondering if I should change the caps. Maybe I just don't know what I am listening to, but sometimes I think that the distortion gets a little muddy in the highs. This is why im thinking that taming the tone a bit might bring clarity when distorting with the pot open at 10, or just changing the pups to an A2 in the neck. I usually leave the tone at 10, so please refrain from.....(Dude, just turn the tone :)) I would appreciate serious advice.

Guest icantbuyafender

that hotrod set is meant to be a pristine clean with enough balls to shake and scream. Try 300k cts pots and .047uf orange drop caps. much more clarity and balance than stock 500k pots.

that hotrod set is meant to be a pristine clean with enough balls to shake and scream. Try 300k cts pots and .047uf orange drop caps. much more clarity and balance than stock 500k pots.

do you recommend the .047 for the neck and bridge? i have push pulls pots, do they come in 300 pots

In your case changing caps won't clear the mud(since your tonepot is on 10)

If you want more clarity from the JB bridge PU I'd try a 1Meg Audio volumepot first.

I have been reading a bit on the subject and would'nt the 1 meg pot brighten the sound even more than a 500? I would like to mellow the tone a bit, but not quite to an alnico 2 sound. I have read about a 250 pot, but if I am not mistaken this is used in single coils instead of hums. Whatcha think?

I have been reading a bit on the subject and would'nt the 1 meg pot brighten the sound even more than a 500?

I would like to mellow the tone a bit' date=' but not quite to an alnico 2 sound.

I have read about a 250 pot, but if I am not mistaken this is used in single coils instead of hums. Whatcha think?

[/quote']

Yes, a 1M pot would brighten the sound, but it would also clear some of the mud. Sorry, I must have misread.

So you were refering to strictly using the tonepot to mellow the sound, without it turning to mud, right? Personally I'd go with some good pots, and similar or smaller capvalues.(0.022uF Orange drops/Mallories or smaller up to 0.002). Just buy a few in different values and experiment. Maybe try a Treble-bleed while you're at it?

Yes, 250K is generally used for Single-coils.

Archived