Gibson Brands Forums

PR350 vs PR350S

trossit

Ship,

Ya, I was surprised too. Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars, 11th Edition, shows the PR-350 in exe condition $200 -$250 while the PR-350S in exe condition just at $140-$180. These are models made in the 1992 to 2004 era.

Tom

Ship' date='

Ya, I was surprised too. Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars, 11th Edition, shows the PR-350 in exe condition $200 -$250 while the PR-350S in exe condition just at $140-$180. These are models made in the 1992 to 2004 era.

Tom[/quote']

Something to consider...The PR (Presentation) series of guitars first appeared around 1976/1977 and was made in Japan by Matsumoku. Since there is this often erroneous assumption that everything 70s and Japanese is desirable, it could explain why there's a higher book value on some PR-350 models (Some PR models were made concurrently in Japan and Korea until the early 90s though the majority were made in Korea where most Epiphone acoustic production was moved in 1983-the headstock logos on the two versions differ but otherwise construction is essentially identical model to model). I personally fail to see any significant difference between the Matsumoku (Japanese) and the Samick (Korean) models but as I said, there is often a faulty perception at work when dealing with Japanese-made Epiphones when compared to their Korean counterparts resulting in an inordinate premium placed on the Japanese-made guitars. Some Japanese-made models are exceptional while others are complete rubbish and this is also true of the Korean Epiphones. The country of origin is stated on the interior label as well as there being the differences in headstock logos so it's nearly impossible to confuse one for the other on that basis but as I said, beyond that I can't say I perceive any profound differences.

Larens

Kind of surprising also on the low prices.

I owned one of the MIK PR715S from 1988.

Really nice guitar and should not have sold it off. I played it for years and did not know when I bought it or sold it that is was solid Spruce top and solid Rosewood back and sides.

Switched to all Hogs for the last 10 years or more then listening to some old demos done with the PR715 realized how good that guitar sounded and some of the punch misssing from my recent demos another one of those "should not have sold that one moments".

If you can score one they are great guitars.

If I remember right though, the PR350 was Mahogany while the PR715 was Rosewood? I had a choice of both when I bought mine but liked the punch of the 715 better than the 350. If I remember right too the 715 had the Dot inlays while the 350 had Star inlays?

Something to consider...The PR (Presentation) series of guitars first appeared around 1976/1977 and was made in Japan by Matsumoku. Since there is this often erroneous assumption that everything 70s and Japanese is desirable' date=' it could explain why there's a higher [i'] book value[/i] on some PR-350 models (Some PR models were made concurrently in Japan and Korea until the early 90s though the majority were made in Korea where most Epiphone acoustic production was moved in 1983-the headstock logos on the two versions differ but otherwise construction is essentially identical model to model). I personally fail to see any significant difference between the Matsumoku (Japanese) and the Samick (Korean) models but as I said, there is often a faulty perception at work when dealing with Japanese-made Epiphones when compared to their Korean counterparts resulting in an inordinate premium placed on the Japanese-made guitars. Some Japanese-made models are exceptional while others are complete rubbish and this is also true of the Korean Epiphones. The country of origin is stated on the interior label as well as there being the differences in headstock logos so it's nearly impossible to confuse one for the other on that basis but as I said, beyond that I can't say I perceive any profound differences.

Larens

Good to see you posting.

Red 333

Archived